Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand this thread is meant to discuss issues with the refreshed S models. But I just want to say. My S LR was delivered EOQ 6/30 when they were supposedly rushing to get deliveries out. My car was delivered and is almost flawless. One piece of rubber that seals the right rear window looked a little screwy. I went back there and just bent or turned it and it is perfect now.
I have not had one issue yet that has not been fixed/upgraded by software downloads.

I am writing this just so people that may be interested in the car understand that not
All the cars have problems. Quite naturally the people that have issues with their cars are the most vocal.

And I am no fanboy. I dislike Elon. I dislike all the bs about the delivery dates. This is my first EV.
But I have not had a car that I have been this enthusiastic about still months after delivery. Every time I walk up to the car and get in it,
I smile.
Yes It’s almost like your first true love!
congrats. I am still like this with my model 3, the cars made me like driving again.

Well, wanted to give a friend a test drive and put it in drag strip mode. I actually don't put it in drag strip mode very often and it's been weeks since I have.
Today after it was ready, I got
"Rear left motor power may be limited - ok to drive - Schedule Service"

Well, add this to my list of issues to have checked out.
IMG_20211023_133500.jpg

Got the car back. Here is what they fixed:
1) Gave me the two large shelves missing in the trunk
2) Adjusted the trunk lid so it sits properly now with out a huge gap on left side and sits nicer overall.
3) Fixed the frunk lid by minimizing the gap on the drivers side. (Much better)
4) FIXED the front Passenger door not closing without steroidal strength! Here is what they said when I asked how they did it.
We made adjustments to the front passenger door striker and window”.
5) Yoke peeling, out of stock, making a house visit in November to fix with mobile svc.

I did mention the whistling noise at ~ 80mph and they did take it for a test drive hitting about 83 mph. But I didn’t yet get a full repair report. That will be tomorrow. I’ll report back when I get the official report.

@WilliamG When did they estimate your car would be returned? Are they still short parts after a month?
It says Wednesday in the app. They never verbally communicated how long it would take, though I would have expected dropping it off Thursday it would be fixed by Friday. But this is Tesla we’re talking about. At least it’s inside… - what with the somewhat crazy weather we’re having.

It says Wednesday in the app. They never verbally communicated how long it would take, though I would have expected dropping it off Thursday it would be fixed by Friday. But this is Tesla we’re talking about. At least it’s inside… - what with the somewhat crazy weather we’re having.
@WilliamG Without grid power here, since 11am. The whole house generator kicked in automatically, 15 seconds later, so I’m able to finish my Racedeck garage floor project! Should be done later today, save for some edging that they forgot to send me with the original palletized boxes
946579FD-1484-43F7-8D50-FF20BF4D9C10.jpeg

2DA151AF-C04E-4D8A-90CD-4E7FEAA879E1.jpeg

FCE5C890-B90C-4D1A-8282-AEFBC26EDFF3.jpeg
503C9477-2D5E-4EC2-B772-C971C6EFFA0B.jpeg

@WilliamG Without grid power here, since 11am. The whole house generator kicked in automatically, 15 seconds later, so I’m able to finish my Racedeck garage floor project! Should be done later today, save for some edging that they forgot to send me with the original palletized boxesView attachment 725172

View attachment 725174

View attachment 725176View attachment 725175
When I had my Tesla wall unit installed, the electrician said that I needed to have a bypass switch installed at the same time to disconnect the wall unit when my whole house 20KW generator was providing power for the house. Same for you?

Reactions: impastu
I must admit, I'm completely in love with my Model 3 Performance. The only thing I don't like is that even though my car is the "stealth" model (which means no "performance" suspension), the suspension is still a bit stiff for me and my spine with its 8 fusions. But other than that, I am completely over the moon with it. I've never had so much fun driving a car. Ever.

So when I think about being able to put the Model S's amazing air suspension in "old man mode," AND being able to make things disappear behind me in a hurry, I get all sorts of giddy.

On a completely unrelated note...I am a bit surprised that Tesla didn't update the Model S and X suspensions for this refresh from air to magnetorheological, though.
I love my Model 3 Performance also. But my Plaid is better in so many dimensions. The suspension is much smoother without that resulting in more body roll. The handling is at least as good and possibly better, which is amazing given that the Plaid is a bigger car. It is so much quieter in the cabin even without the ANC. Needless to say the performance is better. The interior has a richer appearance with the perforated seats/ contrast beading and the additional cloth material on the doors.

The one downside is the infotainment software which still needs some work, but that will come through OTA updates. I had the same battery issue as @WilliamG. I got my replacement pack about 10 days ago and everything is fine. Tesla made this painless for me with a loaner 2018 Model S 100D. It was interesting to have back to back comparison drives twice to see how much better the refresh S is than its predecessors.

I have a second home in St. George and the 3P resides there now. I'm planning a road trip in the Plaid in mid December and will get in touch with you for a ride/drive if you haven't been able to secure one by then.

I took my Plaid in for the HV battery replacement on a Monday and got it back on Thursday. The app had communicated that it would be completed by EOD Wednesday and it was. This was the only service I required.

I was told by the SA that they wanted to allow extra time since this was the first such battery replacement they had done for a refresh S.