Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get your position. And reason with you. I’ve been in the same boat. But once you give them an out, they could / will likely take it. Not saying that is right or wrong.
@cwanja. So far, no push back…

5CBADF74-25DA-4559-B2D2-E9CD800BF493.png

Took delivery of my Plaid 8 days ago, all was fine until this morning. Several days earlier I drove several hours north and stayed there for the weekend. Woke up to 4" of snow, thankfully had my winter tires installed. The IC kept throwing multiple error messages:

Cruise control disabled
Steering assist reduced
Traction control disabled
Stability control disabled
Regenerative braking disabled
Adaptive ride control degraded
Automatic vehicle hold disabled
Automatic emergency braking disabled
Lane Departure Avoidance features unavailable,

So there I was, my first driving experience in the snow with all safety features disabled. Tried a reboot, a power off, nothing helped. Booked a service appointment 5 days from now but hoping something can be done sooner.

A quick search showed the same issue happened to others, including Model 3. Some say it was fixed by a firmware update, others had the problem re-occur after several service visits. Someone mentioned it happens every time it rains.

Does anyone now what the cause and solutions are? This really sucks.

Considering some of you don't have dash creaks...

Do you think it's worth scheduling service? I live on a roughly paved road and I already have ~3 rattles from the dashboard and another rattle somewhere in the rear coming from the interior. Squeeky driver mirror too. I'm not even sure how they'd resolve the rattles though unless they lined the clips with felt or something.

I thought mine rattle in th rear was seat related. The SC had it for a day taking apart everything to find it, They found that it was the third brake light coming lose. It is held in by double sided tape (WTF?). So they ordered a new light and back window. The back window has to come out to replace the light and they broke the glass taking it out. Now - no rattle.

I thought mine rattle in th rear was seat related. The SC had it for a day taking apart everything to find it, They found that it was the third brake light coming lose. It is held in by double sided tape (WTF?). So they ordered a new light and back window. The back window has to come out to replace the light and they broke the glass taking it out. Now - no rattle.
SpaceX-like engineering!

Took delivery of our car last week and so far only two issues. One, the frunk doesn’t release half the time when you hit open. It’ll make a noise like it’s opened, but it’s actually still latched. Two, there seems to be something wrong with the cabin microphone. I have to shout for it to pick up voice commands, lol. Thankfully no weird rattles or noises at various speeds.

Took delivery of my Plaid 8 days ago, all was fine until this morning. Several days earlier I drove several hours north and stayed there for the weekend. Woke up to 4" of snow, thankfully had my winter tires installed. The IC kept throwing multiple error messages:

Cruise control disabled
Steering assist reduced
Traction control disabled
Stability control disabled
Regenerative braking disabled
Adaptive ride control degraded
Automatic vehicle hold disabled
Automatic emergency braking disabled
Lane Departure Avoidance features unavailable,

So there I was, my first driving experience in the snow with all safety features disabled. Tried a reboot, a power off, nothing helped. Booked a service appointment 5 days from now but hoping something can be done sooner.

A quick search showed the same issue happened to others, including Model 3. Some say it was fixed by a firmware update, others had the problem re-occur after several service visits. Someone mentioned it happens every time it rains.

Does anyone now what the cause and solutions are? This really sucks.
What did you use for winter tires?

Reactions: impastu
Half the car is put together with 3M double sided tape. Good stuff for DIY. Questionable for production. In my many years of manufacturing, epoxies and tape were always on my sh!t list. :)

PA4s, same size as the stock 19s, ordered in early September.
Do you mean Pilot Alpin PA4? Or Pilot Sport 4s? If the former (I hope, for you in Canada, you need a true winter tire, not all-season), I couldn’t find any in the stock size and had to go 10mm wider all around. That wider size is a Tesla size for other winter tires so should be ok, and may be better for cold roads, but worse in deep snow.

The spraying of debris on the sides may be worse I’m afraid . . . :(

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
Do you mean Pilot Alpin PA4? Or Pilot Sport 4s? If the former (I hope, for you in Canada, you need a true winter tire, not all-season), I couldn’t find any in the stock size and had to go 10mm wider all around. That wider size is a Tesla size for other winter tires so should be ok, and may be better for cold roads, but worse in deep snow.

The spraying of debris on the sides may be worse I’m afraid . . . :(
Yes, Pilot Alpin 4. Your extra 10mm would worry me too, perhaps wise to do what @jebinc did and install mud flaps. 🤔

Overall pretty pleased with my 10/20 build. No major creaks rattles or anything. The only issue, and I'm not even sure if it's a problem, is when slowing down and turning - especially while going downhill, around 5mph or less, it seems like the power steering groans? I'm not sure if it's power steering or regen or something else

Last edited:
Reactions: Bitjockey
Yes, Pilot Alpin 4. Your extra 10mm would worry me too, perhaps wise to do what @jebinc did and install mud flaps. 🤔

I love my flaps! We have tons of fir trees by our house and they drop a craptastic amount of fir needles; needles that cover everything, like snow. My flaps typically have about an inch of needle buildup. @WilliamG can confirm the effectiveness of flaps in this region!

I love my flaps! We have tons of fir trees by our house and they drop a craptastic amount of fir needles; needles that cover everything, like snow. My flaps typically have about an inch of needle buildup. @WilliamG can confirm the effectiveness of flaps in this region!
Oh, I know all about pine needles, here's what we did to protect my wife's Y from needles.

Attachments

• img1 (1).jpg
    img1 (1).jpg
    263 KB · Views: 74
Last week car in service and they accomplished nothing. Tow truck on its way as no screens and heat on defrost full blast. Any recommendations? What piece of *sugar*!

@dlfjed It does seem these Plaid’s are in for repair/ awaiting to get in for repair, more than not. Mine has been problematic since delivery on 8/13. Most recently, both front half shafts were replace (last week). Next service appointment is next week. Lastly, all these appointment are for operating issues, and not cosmetic ones. I won’t even bother bringing it in for gaps, misaligned interior trim, shaking side mirrors, yoke worms, wavy/distorted rear and side glad, etc. etc.