Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im envious too. My MSLR has gaps and misalignment everywhere! Is Tesla fixing these misalignments or are they "within spec"
Depends on who looks at it. A callous Service center desk person will claim “within spec”, and not be able to produce any written documentation of what spec is.

A diligent center rep will do his best to fix it to the extent your car allows!

All depends on who you get

Reactions: jebinc
Three weeks ago service center for 3 days. 5 hour round trip for me, so 10 hours to get vehicle “fixed”.
Issues
1. Center console broken. (Fixed!)
2. Charge port won’t open button push home charger or tesla charger. Fully explained two months before appointment (had to order parts not fixed)
3. Door bottom corner bent in. My PPF guy said with right tools could easily fix. He did body work for 20 years. (Not fixed)
4. Vibration at 45 (not fixed)
5. Tires skidding low speed tight turns. (Not fixed)
After 10 hours of driving and not having car for 2 days I have a center console that works.

Last week:
1. Both screens go black. Can drive car illegally as mirrors folded, no idea on speed and the car was in warm up mode with heat on high.
2. Still have all other items they did nothing in.

Flatbed tow truck picks up and takes to SC with fan at full speed until next morning. No rental cars available as holiday week. They want to flatbed tow truck a loaner to me. Ridiculous. That would be over TWENTY hours towing an electric car around using a diesel tow truck.

Now. No car, no eta on fix, and I’m riding around in a Uber for going on two weeks.
Tesla is a joke. My only compassion is for SA and service departments that have to take crap from people all day long because everyone above them are a bunch of self centered jerks.

Three weeks ago service center for 3 days. 5 hour round trip for me, so 10 hours to get vehicle “fixed”.
Issues
1. Center console broken. (Fixed!)
2. Charge port won’t open button push home charger or tesla charger. Fully explained two months before appointment (had to order parts not fixed)
3. Door bottom corner bent in. My PPF guy said with right tools could easily fix. He did body work for 20 years. (Not fixed)
4. Vibration at 45 (not fixed)
5. Tires skidding low speed tight turns. (Not fixed)
After 10 hours of driving and not having car for 2 days I have a center console that works.

Last week:
1. Both screens go black. Can drive car illegally as mirrors folded, no idea on speed and the car was in warm up mode with heat on high.
2. Still have all other items they did nothing in.

Flatbed tow truck picks up and takes to SC with fan at full speed until next morning. No rental cars available as holiday week. They want to flatbed tow truck a loaner to me. Ridiculous. That would be over TWENTY hours towing an electric car around using a diesel tow truck.

Now. No car, no eta on fix, and I’m riding around in a Uber for going on two weeks.
Tesla is a joke. My only compassion is for SA and service departments that have to take crap from people all day long because everyone above them are a bunch of self centered jerks.
Rough. I have the vibration and the tire skidding, and the blank screens. I wonder how widespread this is.

Reactions: jebinc
Rough. I have the vibration and the tire skidding, and the blank screens. I wonder how widespread this is.
Tire Skidding is normal.. Its a part of the way the front suspension is setup and is nothing to be concerned about. This was also how the Alfa Romeo suspension are setup.. basically when turning the control arms added camber naturally which can cause the skidding.. Im not sure if this is how the Plaid suspension works, but I can assure, after dealing with this on other cars, it was determined by the manufacturer and forum discussions to be totally normal and does not affect anything.. just consider it a performance susupension noise..

I also consdier the vibration noise at low speed to be just a harmonic frequency of the electrical current and motor speeds matching at that speed rate.. I dont think it has anything to do with the suspension and it doesnt affect performance in anyway, so for me its a non-issue

Last edited:
Tire Skidding is normal.. Its a part of the way the front suspension is setup and is nothing to be concerned about. This was also how the Alfa Romeo suspension are setup.. basically when turning the control arms added camber naturally which can cause the skidding.. Im not sure if this is how the Plaid suspension works, but I can assure, after dealing with this on other cars, it was determined by the manufacturer and forum discussions to be totally normal and does not affect anything.. just consider it a performance susupension noise..
Yep. That’s normal. As mentioned before, even my friend’s Panamera does this. It’s the high performance tires in the cold. NORMAL. On 19” all-seasons it won’t do it.

Yep. That’s normal. As mentioned before, even my friend’s Panamera does this. It’s the high performance tires in the cold. NORMAL. On 19” all-seasons it won’t do it.

Exactly, the tires are trying to grip but slipping on the cold or wet surface under tight corners.. totally normal and is a performance aspect of the suspension.. all seasons or winter tires have softer rubber and will slide more without the noise..

Exactly, the tires are trying to grip but slipping on the cold or wet surface under tight corners.. totally normal and is a performance aspect of the suspension.. all seasons or winter tires have softer rubber and will slide more without the noise..
Exactly. And if Tesla were smart they’d put this in the manual or inform customers who live where it gets cooler weather - of this very fact.

Reactions: impastu

I also consdier the vibration noise at low speed to be just a harmonic frequency of the electrical current and motor speeds matching at that speed rate.. I dont think it has anything to do with the suspension and it doesnt affect performance in anyway, so for me its a non-issue
Just want to say thank you for this post. Informative.

I have been reading here and there that tesla has fixed tire issue by adjusting and tightening front. The vibration is cause by bad half shafts and some other part. Both are fixable. That depends on your service center. I guess there are a few out there that actually provide top notch service and not a bunch of that’s within spec crap.

I have been reading here and there that tesla has fixed tire issue by adjusting and tightening front. The vibration is cause by bad half shafts and some other part. Both are fixable. That depends on your service center. I guess there are a few out there that actually provide top notch service and not a bunch of that’s within spec crap.
Just a few, I suppose. Renton, WA is certainly not one one them!

@GroovaEV

• Funny
I do not believe the vibration issue in the high 30s-low 40s mph has been solved.

• Helpful
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
This. I just swapped my 21s for my 19s and and the grinding went away. I've also found this to be true in the past swapping from summer to all season rubber, on the same size rims.