Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I think I drew the very shortest straw. Such a shame. 5 months and only 2,300 miles and my car has never been 100% working. 😓
Why are you not pursuing the Lemon Law, again? I have great sympathy for your terrible situation. Are you just going to sit here and take all these bullets? You have been beyond patient. Tesla owes you a functioning car or your money back. Period.

Why are you not pursuing the Lemon Law, again? I have great sympathy for your terrible situation. Are you just going to sit here and take all these bullets? You have been beyond patient. Tesla owes you a functioning car or your money back. Period.
I’m going to be reaching out this week to see about something we can do here. Indeed, I’ve been beyond patient.

Guys I need your opinion on my tires issue. Just to recap I took delivery of a car whose owner could not pick up for some reason however it has 21 wheels and summer tires which in Chicago is a big deal. Anyways due to the craziness in the edd issue and not knowing when will I be able to get my original ordered car I agreed knowing that there is a 19 wheel winter package I can order. After my rear drive unit replacement ordeal fifty miles after taking delivery the SC promised I will get the winter wheels for free. However they have been on back order for more than two weeks. Now with the snow and below freezing weather it is a problem. I initially thought I will drive my wife’s x5 while there is snow and my tesla on clean roads. However after doing some online research I read the problem with summer tires is not only the snow and traction with snow. Actually under 45 degrees temps even in dry conditions summer tires just because of their rubber they are not safe to drive.
Which means till I get the back ordered wheels which good only knows how long that will be I will be paying for a leased car parked in the garage. I started looking into replacing the 21 summers with 21 ASs to get me by till the winter 19s come in.
I spoke to a friend of mine who has a car shop he said that is BS and that I can drive the summer tires in the cold as long as there is no snow. Another friend of mine who has a pre refresh model s with 21 wheels said that he had no problem with them on dry roads.
So what should I do. Keep driving in the cold on clean roads till I get the 19s or swap the 21 summers with 21 AS?

Guys I need your opinion on my tires issue. Just to recap I took delivery of a car whose owner could not pick up for some reason however it has 21 wheels and summer tires which in Chicago is a big deal. Anyways due to the craziness in the edd issue and not knowing when will I be able to get my original ordered car I agreed knowing that there is a 19 wheel winter package I can order. After my rear drive unit replacement ordeal fifty miles after taking delivery the SC promised I will get the winter wheels for free. However they have been on back order for more than two weeks. Now with the snow and below freezing weather it is a problem. I initially thought I will drive my wife’s x5 while there is snow and my tesla on clean roads. However after doing some online research I read the problem with summer tires is not only the snow and traction with snow. Actually under 45 degrees temps even in dry conditions summer tires just because of their rubber they are not safe to drive.
Which means till I get the back ordered wheels which good only knows how long that will be I will be paying for a leased car parked in the garage. I started looking into replacing the 21 summers with 21 ASs to get me by till the winter 19s come in.
I spoke to a friend of mine who has a car shop he said that is BS and that I can drive the summer tires in the cold as long as there is no snow. Another friend of mine who has a pre refresh model s with 21 wheels said that he had no problem with them on dry roads.
So what should I do. Keep driving in the cold on clean roads till I get the 19s or swap the 21 summers with 21 AS?
Sorry, but the guy that told you summers in cold weather fine, is full of BS. Just look at the Michelin or Pirelli site. It’s loaded with warnings re potential compound failure.

On the Michelin site it specifically says these tires should not be used in 20 or below weather (with or without snow). If subjected to 20 degrees, should be rewarmed to at least 40 degrees before using.

Honestly I've driven with these tires in 35 degree weather (down here temp occasionally drops), no issues, but does make me nervous. Hasn't dropped to the 20s down here though. For you, best to stay clear in Chi though.

On the Michelin site it specifically says these tires should not be used in 20 or below weather (with or without snow). If subjected to 20 degrees, should be rewarmed to at least 40 degrees before using.

Honestly I've driven with these tires in 35 degree weather (down here temp occasionally drops), no issues, but does make me nervous. Hasn't dropped to the 20s down here though. For you, best to stay clear in Chi though.
I agree with you I am not trying to make a case of saying it is okay to use summer tires in cold weather. It is just in my specific case till I get my winters. I will definitely be very careful and will actually try to reach out to the SC tomorrow asking to see if they have any used AS they can loan me till the winters come in. The question was shall I pay for 21 AS just to get me by or use the summers I have very carefully on dry roads?

Reactions: VM0412

Model S and X delivery in Q4: 11,750.

The posters on this forum represent a very small percentage of actual owners, it appears. My guess is the majority of owners don't have issues with their new cars.

Reactions: Fitz1414
Wou
I agree with you I am not trying to make a case of saying it is okay to use summer tires in cold weather. It is just in my specific case till I get my winters. I will definitely be very careful and will actually try to reach out to the SC tomorrow asking to see if they have any used AS they can loan me till the winters come in. The question was shall I pay for 21 AS just to get me by or use the summers I have very carefully on dry roads?
Would probably get the AS tires in your case. Doesn’t matter if you use the the summers on dry roads or not. The temp is what matters, as the tires will develop tread compound cracking at cold temps and would need replacement

I’m going to be reaching out this week to see about something we can do here. Indeed, I’ve been beyond patient.
Damn and I thought I had a headache with my brand new MS! I’ve only had my car a little more than three weeks and Tesla has had my car 10 days. Supposedly they fixed all my issues except the “adaptive ride control disabled.” They’ve been waiting on the part this whole time and keep pushing my completion date back..pretty annoyed.

Since you live in Chicago, you should get proper real winter tires. Then keep the good summer tires and switch them in April and November. They are hard to find for the 19" wheels but they are out there and you have some leeway in sizes and speed rating -- they don't have to be exactly the same as the stock tires. I went 10mm wider all round but was able to find the very good michelin Pilot Alpins in XL load rating and they fit just fine. Tesla has other winter tires specced for the 19" wheel that are also 10mm wider so I knew they would fit just fine.

e.g., Simpletires right now has the X-ice for the front and Pilot Alpins for the rear. Not matching is ok, but if you look around you can probably find a matching staggered set. look at Tirerack, simpletires, 1010tires and call local tire places who can usually order from those and other places. Look at the Tesla parts catalog for the full range of sizes that fit on the OEM wheels. Also see the tire thread here that has those sizes listed and a good discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: fsabek
Damn and I thought I had a headache with my brand new MS! I’ve only had my car a little more than three weeks and Tesla has had my car 10 days. Supposedly they fixed all my issues except the “adaptive ride control disabled.” They’ve been waiting on the part this whole time and keep pushing my completion date back..pretty annoyed.
Yeah. Puts things in perspective. My car has not, at any point in 5 months, been working correctly. Pretty crazy…

Reactions: impastu
Since you live in Chicago, you should get proper real winter tires. Then keep the good summer tires and switch them in April and November. They are hard to find for the 19" wheels but they are out there and you have some leeway in sizes and speed rating -- they don't have to be exactly the same as the stock tires. I went 10mm wider all round but was able to find the very good michelin Pilot Alpins in XL load rating and they fit just fine. Tesla has other winter tires specced for the 19" wheel that are also 10mm wider so I knew they would fit just fine.

e.g., Simpletires right now has the X-ice for the front and Pilot Alpins for the rear. Not matching is ok, but if you look around you can probably find a matching staggered set. look at Tirerack, simpletires, 1010tires and call local tire places who can usually order from those and other places. Look at the Tesla parts catalog for the full range of sizes that fit on the OEM wheels. Also see the tire thread here that has those sizes listed and a good discussion.

Thanks for the info. Again that was my plan. To keep 21 and summers and swap them with the 19 winters. However not sure when will the backordered 19 winters come. Again the question was shall I keep driving the summers carefully till winters come in or shall pay for 21 AS to get me by till winters come in. Then I will end up with two sets of 21 summer and AS and a set of 19 winters

Sidebar question... First time Tesla owner. I can't seem to find Caraeoke on my 2022 Tesla Model S LR... What am I missing or is it not in the interface yet?
I was surprised to find the Atari arcade games missing from mine (Asteroids, Centipede, etc.) I have no Caraeoke either. I don't know what drives the decisions to omit software features like that across the Tesla lineup (horizontal vs. vertical screen?), but the owners manual and website are full of "features may vary" notes. These appear to be two examples.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
I might be having the charge port not opening with Superchargers or HPWC issue. Started on the very last Supercharge of my New Years day trip. Work three of times flawlessly the same day. Took pressing the handle button multiple times. Got home, same issue with my HPWC. Gave the car a reboot and it seems super intermittent. Going to do more testing and logging of tries before reaching out to service.

I might be having the charge port not opening with Superchargers or HPWC issue. Started on the very last Supercharge of my New Years day trip. Work three of times flawlessly the same day. Took pressing the handle button multiple times. Got home, same issue with my HPWC. Gave the car a reboot and it seems super intermittent. Going to do more testing and logging of tries before reaching out to service.
That's a strange one. Does it open with the UMC? Mine opens every time with the UMC.

Yeah. Puts things in perspective. My car has not, at any point in 5 months, been working correctly. Pretty crazy…
Just because others were also pushing me to do this (in addition to knowing I needed to, and the wifey telling me I need to), I’ve been in touch with Tesla today and am having a buyback request submitted for my Model S Plaid. We’ll see if they do the right thing here, and how long I have to wait for a response.

Just because others were also pushing me to do this (in addition to knowing I needed to, and the wifey telling me I need to), I’ve been in touch with Tesla today and am having a buyback request submitted for my Model S Plaid. We’ll see if they do the right thing here, and how long I have to wait for a response.
@WilliamG The wifey vote should get weighted 10x all other votes! "If the wifey isn't happy, no one is happy," or it's related cousin - "Happy wifey, happy lifely"... Best of luck!