Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I took delivery of my LR MS last week and so far haven't had too many issues. I had a panel gap on the trunk that I made a service appointment for, but outside of that everything appeared to be perfect.

Took a short road-trip for NYE up to Michigan about 130 mile one way trip. Going there was great, weather was more tame. It snowed about 6" while there, and on way back had a few "oh *sugar*" moments sliding, but thankfully made it back safe. Definitely will be more cautious driving in winter weather with the 19" AS tires.

On my way home it was fairly windy and cold around 25-30 degrees. While driving 90 on the highway (while roads were dry) I found that the cabin was considerably colder than I would have expected from my model 3 or Y. My wife first identified that her leg next to the passenger door was much colder compared to her other leg. I then realized that it was the same case for me, there was definitely some cold air coming from the door. I am pretty disappointed by this, definitely wasn't the case in my M3 or wife's MY. We both had seat warmers on level 3 and had temp in car around 70. We typically never have it higher than 70 and we put it up to 74/75 to get warmer.

I'm not sure if it's the faster speed, or wind but it was unacceptable to have such cold air coming in from the door. Has anyone else experienced this? I updated my service appointment to include them looking at the HVAC and air coming in from the door. Overall I'm pretty disappointed in the heating in the car. I would have expected a better system than in the 3/Y.

Reactions: impastu
Hi all, I took delivery of my LR MS last week and so far haven't had too many issues. I had a panel gap on the trunk that I made a service appointment for, but outside of that everything appeared to be perfect.

Took a short road-trip for NYE up to Michigan about 130 mile one way trip. Going there was great, weather was more tame. It snowed about 6" while there, and on way back had a few "oh *sugar*" moments sliding, but thankfully made it back safe. Definitely will be more cautious driving in winter weather with the 19" AS tires.

On my way home it was fairly windy and cold around 25-30 degrees. While driving 90 on the highway (while roads were dry) I found that the cabin was considerably colder than I would have expected from my model 3 or Y. My wife first identified that her leg next to the passenger door was much colder compared to her other leg. I then realized that it was the same case for me, there was definitely some cold air coming from the door. I am pretty disappointed by this, definitely wasn't the case in my M3 or wife's MY. We both had seat warmers on level 3 and had temp in car around 70. We typically never have it higher than 70 and we put it up to 74/75 to get warmer.

I'm not sure if it's the faster speed, or wind but it was unacceptable to have such cold air coming in from the door. Has anyone else experienced this? I updated my service appointment to include them looking at the HVAC and air coming in from the door. Overall I'm pretty disappointed in the heating in the car. I would have expected a better system than in the 3/Y.

Not sure about that specifically, but there are a lot of things that are worse in the refresh S than the 3/Y. All of the design effort seems to have gone to the 3/Y. Headlights and sound system, for one... But, the 1020 HP in the plaid is amazing. Otherwise, I probably would have sold mine by now and gone back to the 3 performance.

Not sure about that specifically, but there are a lot of things that are worse in the refresh S than the 3/Y. All of the design effort seems to have gone to the 3/Y. Headlights and sound system, for one... But, the 1020 HP in the plaid is amazing. Otherwise, I probably would have sold mine by now and gone back to the 3 performance.
I am personally enjoying the Plaid a lot more than my former 3 Performance on multiple levels. Besides the obvious acceleration, the air suspension with adjustable height and damping settings is great. The cabin is much more quiet at high speeds, and I just love the hatch trunk - so much more space!

Once I get my Palid back from the butcher shop (getting a second safety restraint harness fix this week), I’ll test it in Tahoe and report back on whether there are any issues with cold air leaking into the cabin.

But overall, I’m enjoying the S a lot more than the 3. Oh and I also can’t wait to test Track Mode at Laguna Seca or Sonoma Raceway soon!

Last edited:
I am personally enjoying the Plaid a lot more than my former 3 Performance on multiple levels. Besides the obvious acceleration, the air suspension with adjustable height and damping settings is great. The cabin is much more quiet at high speeds, and I just love the hatch trunk - so much more space!

Once I get my Palid back from the butcher shop (getting a second safety restraint harness fix this week), I’ll test it in Tahoe and report back on whether there are any issues with cold air leaking into the cabin.

But overall, I’m enjoying the S a lot more than the 3. Oh and I also can’t wait to test Track Mode at Laguna Seca or Sonoma Raceway soon!
You have trackmode?

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
I might be having the charge port not opening with Superchargers or HPWC issue. Started on the very last Supercharge of my New Years day trip. Work three of times flawlessly the same day. Took pressing the handle button multiple times. Got home, same issue with my HPWC. Gave the car a reboot and it seems super intermittent. Going to do more testing and logging of tries before reaching out to service.
Welp. No issues tonight opening the charge port well away from it with the HPWC handle. Will continue to monitor it. Not sure what happened.

Sorry, but the guy that told you summers in cold weather fine, is full of BS. Just look at the Michelin or Pirelli site. It’s loaded with warnings re potential compound failure.

On the Michelin site it specifically says these tires should not be used in 20 or below weather (with or without snow). If subjected to 20 degrees, should be rewarmed to at least 40 degrees before using.

Honestly I've driven with these tires in 35 degree weather (down here temp occasionally drops), no issues, but does make me nervous. Hasn't dropped to the 20s down here though. For you, best to stay clear in Chi though.

Where do you see these warnings on official Michelin documentation? Only ones I've seen are generic boilerplate warnings retailers slap on the pages of every summer tire for decades despite advances in rubber compounds. I've combed through both the warranty pamphlets and the owner's manuals and don't see any language of the sort.

Reactions: jebinc and impastu
Guys I need your opinion on my tires issue. Just to recap I took delivery of a car whose owner could not pick up for some reason however it has 21 wheels and summer tires which in Chicago is a big deal. Anyways due to the craziness in the edd issue and not knowing when will I be able to get my original ordered car I agreed knowing that there is a 19 wheel winter package I can order. After my rear drive unit replacement ordeal fifty miles after taking delivery the SC promised I will get the winter wheels for free. However they have been on back order for more than two weeks. Now with the snow and below freezing weather it is a problem. I initially thought I will drive my wife’s x5 while there is snow and my tesla on clean roads. However after doing some online research I read the problem with summer tires is not only the snow and traction with snow. Actually under 45 degrees temps even in dry conditions summer tires just because of their rubber they are not safe to drive.
Which means till I get the back ordered wheels which good only knows how long that will be I will be paying for a leased car parked in the garage. I started looking into replacing the 21 summers with 21 ASs to get me by till the winter 19s come in.
I spoke to a friend of mine who has a car shop he said that is BS and that I can drive the summer tires in the cold as long as there is no snow. Another friend of mine who has a pre refresh model s with 21 wheels said that he had no problem with them on dry roads.
So what should I do. Keep driving in the cold on clean roads till I get the 19s or swap the 21 summers with 21 AS?
Just drive the damn car.

Seriously, have you EVER heard of a high performance Summer tire exploding or coming apart because it was too cold?

Is traction compromised? Yes, of course. So be careful and limit your driving until the winter tires come in.

Where do you see these warnings on official Michelin documentation? Only ones I've seen are generic boilerplate warnings retailers slap on the pages of every summer tire for decades despite advances in rubber compounds. I've combed through both the warranty pamphlets and the owner's manuals and don't see any language of the sort.
So I thought I read it on the michelin site, but it was written on tirerack.com for these tires. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

Specific verbage:

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

So I thought I read it on the michelin site, but it was written on tirerack.com for these tires. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S
Interesting:
Treadlife Warranty:
6 Years / 30,000 Miles Half mileage for rear if different size than front

So, we get a 15k mile warranty on the rears and 30k on the fronts?

Might get something on the fronts, probably not the rears. I went through tires in about 20k miles on my P90D. I suspect it will be similar with the plaid.

Specific verbage:

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
@hotsoup just saw your thread on this same thing in the driving dynamics section and it put me a bit more at ease lol. I see this warning isnt noted by Michelin themselves so who knows.

My plan is to cont using the summers through the winter. Temps dont get that cold here anyway and snows very seldomly.

I get to join this thread. Two month old LR, no real issues until last night. Got into my car after work, list of errors lit up like a Christmas tree. No power steering, wouldn't shift into gear. Towed to service center. No report on what's wrong, just a promise to update me via text.

They did get me a enterprise rental...I guess I should be grateful. Pictures attached of some of the errors, in case anyone has similar experiences.

Attachments

• 20220103_163416.jpg
    20220103_163416.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 20220103_163202.jpg
    20220103_163202.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Some pages back, no clue where, there was discussion about the edges of the instrument cluster screen being faded. Here is the best photo showing that. You can see it in the text. I could probably also get a photo with the headlight icon being faded as well.

Yet, looking at @Filter's post right above this, their icons and text looks fine.

Big debate if I really want them to take apart my instrument cluster to replace the screen.

Attachments

• IMG_2020 copy 2.jpg
    IMG_2020 copy 2.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 80
Some pages back, no clue where, there was discussion about the edges of the instrument cluster screen being faded. Here is the best photo showing that. You can see it in the text. I could probably also get a photo with the headlight icon being faded as well.

Yet, looking at @Filter's post right above this, their icons and text looks fine.

Big debate if I really want them to take apart my instrument cluster to replace the screen.
My screen never had that issue...unfortunately, it looks like my car has more significant problems now 😑