Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s exactly what I am thinking. I would take that in a heartbeat.
The only issue with this is the message it sends. Buying such an expensive car and then Tesla releasing ambient lighting for it as a paid extra AFTER you take delivery... It’s a little…sad… Other manufacturers and anti-Tesla zealots would have a field day with it.

The only issue with this is the message it sends. Buying such an expensive car and then Tesla releasing ambient lighting for it as a paid extra AFTER you take delivery... It’s a little…sad… Other manufacturers and anti-Tesla zealots would have a field day with it.
Going back almost a year in the forums, it was thought that there would be light pipes throughout the trim but aborted by supply chain issues. This is my first Tesla and I don’t see that they sell hardware features later on as retrofits but with supply chain issues, they may have been unable to do it at this time but the wiring is there. If it appeared in later cars and I could get the parts I would do it.

Going back almost a year in the forums, it was thought that there would be light pipes throughout the trim but aborted by supply chain issues. This is my first Tesla and I don’t see that they sell hardware features later on as retrofits but with supply chain issues, they may have been unable to do it at this time but the wiring is there. If it appeared in later cars and I could get the parts I would do it.
Probably true. But they do sell illuminated door sills that should come with the car. And they used to sell phone charging cradles. Both wired and wireless. Now they also sell a brake upgrade kit that should be included on Plaids. Just my opinions. :)

Reactions: WilliamG
Probably true. But they do sell illuminated door sills that should come with the car. And they used to sell phone charging cradles. Both wired and wireless. Now they also sell a brake upgrade kit that should be included on Plaids. Just my opinions. :)

Was about to say - they sell the illuminated sill kits for the Model 3!

Reactions: impastu
What’s that blue connector for under that trim ???? Retrofit for ambient lighting ??? The ONLY thing I miss about my 540 was the awesome inlaid ambient lighting
Hmmm that’s a good question and I didn’t think about it but it is the first thing I looked at when I got in my car after the tech left. I’m so dumb I just though maybe he would reconnect it to whatever it goes to when he comes back to install the carbon fiber trim.

Never thought anything of it but I think you all are on to something.

Hmmm that’s a good question and I didn’t think about it but it is the first thing I looked at when I got in my car after the tech left. I’m so dumb I just though maybe he would reconnect it to whatever it goes to when he comes back to install the carbon fiber trim.

Never thought anything of it but I think you all are on to something.

Nope it's not connected to anything at all.

Hmmm….yes I see that now, you are correct so I agree, it would be very sad at the price of the car to sell that as a retrofit.

Here is a post about them: Post in thread '2021+ Model S Refresh - Missing/Incomplete Software Features'

• Helpful
I'm SO pissed off right now. This goes beyond my normal frustration with this car. Those who've followed my saga with the broken high-voltage battery, Tesla blowing my front motor in service, Tesla fixing the front motor with the wrong inverter, Tesla replacing the inverter a second time etc etc.

Well, this is WORSE. I drove my car back from Tesla Service on January 14th, and refused to drive it while I wait on buyback info etc. This is the FIRST time I drove the car since driving it home from Service on January 14th. Unfortunately, today I had to drive it, and I nearly freaking hit another car because of them.

Yep, you read that right - I nearly hit another vehicle at highway speed this afternoon due to a shoddy job by whomever worked on the airbag recall while my car was in service. On the way home, I had to accelerate out of the way of merging drivers, and as I did so my whole uninflated airbag module/electronics came flying out toward me, causing me to become extremely startled, swerve in my lane and nearly hit a merging vehicle. I can’t begin to explain how terrifying it was to have a heavy part of your steering yoke come flying at you. This is not a lightweight piece of plastic, from what I could tell as I was holding it.

After I gently maneuvered the airbag system back into the yoke cavity on the highway, I had to hold it there while driving home because it does not snap into place, something which was extremely nerve-wracking (as I understand it working on airbag systems requires the battery to be disconnected). It’s now parked at home with the airbag mechanism half-hanging out.

Unfreakingbelievable. My heart is still racing, and I'm absolutely livid. Beyond livid.

Attachments

• IMG_3297.jpeg
    IMG_3297.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3298.jpeg
    IMG_3298.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 72
I'm SO pissed off right now. This goes beyond my normal frustration with this car. Those who've followed my saga with the broken high-voltage battery, Tesla blowing my front motor in service, Tesla fixing the front motor with the wrong inverter, Tesla replacing the inverter a second time etc etc.

Well, this is WORSE. I drove my car back from Tesla Service on January 14th, and refused to drive it while I wait on buyback info etc. This is the FIRST time I drove the car since driving it home from Service on January 14th. Unfortunately, today I had to drive it, and I nearly freaking hit another car because of them.

Yep, you read that right - I nearly hit another vehicle at highway speed this afternoon due to a shoddy job by whomever worked on the airbag recall while my car was in service. On the way home, I had to accelerate out of the way of merging drivers, and as I did so my whole uninflated airbag module/electronics came flying out toward me, causing me to become extremely startled, swerve in my lane and nearly hit a merging vehicle. I can’t begin to explain how terrifying it was to have a heavy part of your steering yoke come flying at you. This is not a lightweight piece of plastic, from what I could tell as I was holding it.

After I gently maneuvered the airbag system back into the yoke cavity on the highway, I had to hold it there while driving home because it does not snap into place, something which was extremely nerve-wracking (as I understand it working on airbag systems requires the battery to be disconnected). It’s now parked at home with the airbag mechanism half-hanging out.

Unfreakingbelievable. My heart is still racing, and I'm absolutely livid. Beyond livid.
Well, at least as the mechanism landed on your lap you didn’t know that it contains explosive charges. H/t @AnselmDante

Sounds like they be smokin' dope at that service center.. In all seriousness, I wonder if a consultation with an attorney might be in order. They owe you a new car. The airbag, if deployed erroneously could have killed or injured you..

I’m relieved that you’re physically ok. Heads need to roll for this.

Reactions: impastu and jebinc

@WilliamG WTF?! Sorry to see this. Just another item to add to your long buyback list of concerns. I suspect the rest of your car was put back together with the same level of care and attention to detail... May you get your check soon.

Last edited:
There are two locking clips that hold it in. On either side of the wheel column close to the yoke you should see a small hole at about 8 o’clock and 4 o’clock. Check and see if you can see the locking clips and that they move when pushed. I suspect they did not push the new airbag assembly in hard enough to lock it in place at those two positions.