Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Literally sat in the car and stared at it for a bit. There’s no specific pattern that I can see but it flickers periodically. I recorded it so hopefully the technician can see what I’m talking about when I take it in for the other cosmetic fixes
Amazing you were able to record it. I have tried with no success. Any chance you can provide the video or a link?
I have a service appointment in a few days for other issues including the airbag recall. Added this to the list. They have asked for a video. I brought it to the SC in November and this was on my list then along with screens going black... (fixed in 2021.40). At that time they could not duplicate the issue and said that they “reset the module”.
Also said that the yoke could be replaced if the issue continues…
I believe it is a software issue like the screens going black because it seemed to also happen simultaneously.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
Paging @doubleshot - you had no AC or heat right? It was not related to 2022.4, but you had issues upon delivery right? Same error code? What was the fix?

ACEF9474-52B9-453D-90F5-FD03B3961690.png

This is what driving around looks like at full blast… Tesla Model Sauna 😂

• Funny
Reactions: cwanja
Amazing you were able to record it. I have tried with no success. Any chance you can provide the video or a link?
I have a service appointment in a few days for other issues including the airbag recall. Added this to the list. They have asked for a video. I brought it to the SC in November and this was on my list then along with screens going black... (fixed in 2021.40). At that time they could not duplicate the issue and said that they “reset the module”.
Also said that the yoke could be replaced if the issue continues…
I believe it is a software issue like the screens going black because it seemed to also happen simultaneously.
Not sure if this works but you can try this:

Reactions: bhzmark
So I'm at the SC right now, and they were able to replicate the shudder on LR under hard acceleration. They said they will replace the axels. I confirmed he meant the half shafts. He said they are concerned about the extra stress the weight of my custom wheels might put on those in future. I hope I'm not going to have warranty issues moving forwards with this otherwise I'll probably look at selling the car. The wheels I have, although they are wider are probably similar in weight. I kinda wish I'd weighed them now. Running 10.5x20 Signature SV701s with 285x35x20 on the front. Rear is 11x20 and 305x35x20 (although I believe the half shaft issue is only on the front).

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and T-Racer
So I'm at the SC right now, and they were able to replicate the shudder on LR under hard acceleration. They said they will replace the axels. I confirmed he meant the half shafts. He said they are concerned about the extra stress the weight of my custom wheels might put on those in future. I hope I'm not going to have warranty issues moving forwards with this otherwise I'll probably look at selling the car. The wheels I have, although they are wider are probably similar in weight. I kinda wish I'd weighed them now. Running 10.5x20 Signature SV701s with 285x35x20 on the front. Rear is 11x20 and 305x35x20 (although I believe the half shaft issue is only on the front).
Probably lighter than the stock wheels... The 21s are heavy AF. You could ask signature for the weights.

Model S and X delivery in Q4: 11,750.

The posters on this forum represent a very small percentage of actual owners, it appears. My guess is the majority of owners don't have issues with their new cars.
Mine was delivered in early September 2021 and has had zero problems of any kind. However, because of earlier problems mine was one that was delayed a week while Tesla Service went over it carefully. My SA said they were under orders to deliver only 100% perfect cars. I have no idea how long that lasted as a policy. I was also told mine was the first Plaid delivered with 19" wheels at the store.

That sounds like a pretty bad copout answer. @jebinc has a fair amount of documentation and tracking that shows stock wheels or not, the vibration / shudder is there. And Tesla has a bad track record of shuddering in the S and X line.

I am also pretty sure Signature would be willing to go toe-to-toe with Tesla to disprove that statement.

That sounds like a pretty bad copout answer. @jebinc has a fair amount of documentation and tracking that shows stock wheels or not, the vibration / shudder is there. And Tesla has a bad track record of shuddering in the S and X line.

I am also pretty sure Signature would be willing to go toe-to-toe with Tesla to disprove that statement.
I agree. I have a good friend who's an automotive engineer (who worked on the Dyson car project - it wasn't his fault it failed) who said "That's bullshit. The "weight" may mean a small increase in inertia but that's dominated by the car. You may have increased your un-sprung mass but that won't affect the drive shafts. Driveshafts are specified to take peak torque of the drivetrain. It doesn't matter what you hang off the other end; that won't change." I trust him more when it comes to such things.

Yep, a complete line of BS, that is….

Is anyone seeing the following alert regardless of the fact that the USB is actually plugged into the glovebox?
View attachment 766381

View attachment 766382

I have the same alert. But on the Controls screen, it shows dashcam recording - I keep forgetting to look at the viewer to see if events really are being recorded. I unplugged and re-plugged the USB and it seems fine - I see my other partition's Boombox files show back up, etc.

Reactions: impastu
I have the same alert. But on the Controls screen, it shows dashcam recording - I keep forgetting to look at the viewer to see if events really are being recorded. I unplugged and re-plugged the USB and it seems fine - I see my other partition's Boombox files show back up, etc.
Confirmed that even though I have the alert, Sentry and Dashcam still record fine and I can watch clips normally. I just got the 2022.4.5 update - hopefully the update or reboot fixed this nag.