Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have any yoke buzzing, seat rattling or other cooing or barking or mooing from the interior. Get yoke replaced, @paulchou
Put your ear up to the left side of the yoke, near the headlight button, after you've pushed any button on the yoke. You'll hear it.
Here is the yoke noise:

New video by Jonathan Viventi

The cooing was fixed in the recent software update.

I don't have rattling from the seats, possibly because I have a carseat on it. I do have popping when going over bumps, though... Haven't figured that one out yet.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and impastu
ARNR does not work consistently for me. I chalk it up to the non-OEM winter tires, but it's probably just immature coding. I can't imagine it ever working properly with the windows down. Too much unstable background noise to process.

Absolutely agreed on the windows down issue. The car knows if the windows are down, so it should compensate. This is just bad software, and it's really not a feature that Tesla should be advertising as prominently as it is. It's junk as it stands.

Put your ear up to the left side of the yoke, near the headlight button, after you've pushed any button on the yoke. You'll hear it.
Here is the yoke noise:

I don't have rattling from the seats, possibly because I have a carseat on it. I do have popping when going over bumps, though... Haven't figured that one out yet.
If my ear isn't normally there, I'm not putting it there to hear stuff I can't hear in my normal driving position. If you put your ear on my stomach, you're going to hear a lot of stuff that you would prefer not to know about.

If my ear isn't normally there, I'm not putting it there to hear stuff I can't hear in my normal driving position. If you put your ear on my stomach, you're going to hear a lot of stuff that you would prefer not to know about.
I heard it first in the normal driving position. I hear it any time the radio isn't playing. I had to put my ear to the yoke to identify where it is coming from. I thought it was buzzing from the speakers at first, but then realized it was from the yoke.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
Here is the yoke noise:

I miss the cooing…

Someone measured a 3 dB noise reduction with it turned on. It's very small.
Yeah, that was probably me:

A 3dB change is halfing/doubling sound power - not perceived loudness, but 3dB should be a perceptible change. Anyway, my experience is that the feature does reduce the low frequency road rumble. Maybe not the cones of silence that were initially hinted at, but I am glad the feature is there. Hopefully, over time their algos will get better.

My Plaid picked up in December and one of the read drive units failed last Friday. Two weeks or more for new unit. WTH! It happened the day after i did one launch on drag strip mode. Seriously pissed off... What came of your situation?

They replaced the inverter - and the whole process took over a month. Sorry to hear about your drive unit. Ugh...

Reactions: impastu
My Plaid picked up in December and one of the read drive units failed last Friday. Two weeks or more for new unit. WTH! It happened the day after i did one launch on drag strip mode. Seriously pissed off... What came of your situation?
I know that's annoying, but at least easily fixed. Look up the bath tub curve. Some infant mortality is expected. I'm more worried about the problems that we all have that Tesla doesn't know how to fix.

Sounds like a bearing. Inertial and kinetic loads resulting from vibrations over time can amplify bearing loads..
I know that's annoying, but at least easily fixed. Look up the bath tub curve. Some infant mortality is expected. I'm more worried about the problems that we all have that Tesla doesn't know how to fix.
Yes, like drive train vibration into items not meant to receive them.

Reactions: impastu and jebinc
Here is the yoke noise:

Popping over bumps? Not sure but I did read about a noise from the rear suspension required the toe adjustment clevis needing replacement...

Nope. It just started one day... As much as the SC has had troubles, this doesn't (appear) to be one of them!
How about: the SC (or maybe the factory) broke your microphone a while ago, and you only could tell after you got the software load that used it? It still sounds like a broken mic, or mic amp circuit, somewhere. They ought to be able to diagnose that!

Reactions: bhzmark and impastu
How about: the SC (or maybe the factory) broke your microphone a while ago, and you only could tell after you got the software load that used it? It still sounds like a broken mic, or mic amp circuit, somewhere. They ought to be able to diagnose that!
It’s possible they broke it. But in any case Tesla enabled the feature in my car before I even had the toggle for it, and with no software update applied at the time (TeslaMate logs everything).

I've never noticed the yoke buzz. Now I'm afraid to listen for it.

ANR works decently IMO. Far from yhe Bose-level cancellation I was fantasizing about, but... better than nothing. It should probably just turn off if it detects a window open. Someone with their windows down obviously doesn't care about cabin noise.
Doesn’t it turn off with a window down? When I put a window down, under the ARNR setting it says there’s a window down.

• Informative
Reactions: hotsoup and jebinc
Very interesting. They called me last night and said they think it is one of the inverters but plan to order the read drive unit and inverter just in case. 2 weeks is current estimate. I am in WA state...
There are four or five fuses inside the inverter along with a bunch of capacitors and coils.. Wonder if any caps blew or fuses fused?
I bet the mechanics at Tesla are told not to even open the inverters and possibly test and fix them.
Just send them back to Tesla..
Separately, I would not doubt that the vibration issue many are experiencing is the result of a bad inverter motor control tearing up the CV joints.. It's hard to believe Tesla engineers are over angling the inner CV joint after creating a very nice suspension... Just a thought!

Last edited: