Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Common issue.
It seems like there is a hardware fix now! So, that's good. I'll see about getting mine fixed at my next service, if it ever happens.

Reactions: cwanja
I don't have my MS to test yet. So, just wondering... I know, there I go again.
Has anyone tested to see if in fact the light goes off when the lid is fully closed? Take your cellphone and place it inside this storage compartment while on video and close the lid. Take the phone back out and view the video. If verified that the light goes out consistently when fully closed, is it possible it is designed that way? Yes, when fully open, the light goes out. OK, did Tesla intend it this way because some people want the light off when, for whatever reason, they want the compartment fully open to access things at night so there is no reflection?? Who knows? I guess it all depends on how far back the lid can be opened before the light goes out. If the light goes off at the last half inch before fully open and the available opening is sufficient to gain access for what you need, so be it.. Maybe it was designed to have a big bag of Dorito's sitting in there upright to munch on while driving at night when the light is off?? Sounds good to me!
If the light stays on when closed then it's a legitimate power drain and needs fixed. Someone please try this when you get a chance and report back here?
Thanks, The Wonderer.

Last edited:
Reactions: AcesAreWld
test
Has anyone tested to see if in fact the light goes off when the lid is fully closed? Take your cellphone and place it inside this storage compartment while on video and close the lid. Take the phone back out and view the video. If verified that the light goes out consistently when fully closed, is it possible it is designed that way? Yes, when fully open, the light goes out. OK, did Tesla intend it this way because some people want the light off when, for whatever reason, they want the compartment fully open to access things at night so there is no reflection?? Who knows? I guess it all depends on how far back the lid can be opened before the light goes out. If the light goes off at the last half inch before fully open and the available opening is sufficient to gain access for what you need, so be it.. Maybe it was designed to have a big bag of Dorito's sitting in there upright to munch on while driving at night when the light is off?? Sounds good to me!
If the light stays on when closed then it's a legitimate power drain and needs fixed. Someone please try this when you get a chance and report back here?
Thanks, The Wonderer.
I just received my 2022 Model S Plaid on the 15th. I tried the requested operation and when the door is all the way closed, the light comes on. When door opens, light goes off. This is in the compartment below the cup holder

FYI, after updating last night major issues with HVAC. Will only blow on feet. I'm up north, so major fogging when leaving the garage and no way to defrost. Entire car was foggy to the point of no visibility.

Also, when entering the car the windows go all the way down, then only return about 5in up. Window control on the door won't work until door is closed.

In for service next week, there was nothing they could do via mobile, apparently.

Thanks, The Wonderer.
Yeah, I've taken a video with my cell phone in the cubby. The light stays on with the lid closed. It's not a significant power drain. It's a single LED. You could power it for a 1000 years without draining the battery.

Anyone seen this?

“UI a020
-
Steering assist reduced
Steering may require increased effort”

One thing after another it seems.

Attachments

• E8A4D8DF-419E-42EF-8EDD-8DC7ACE61C21.jpeg
    E8A4D8DF-419E-42EF-8EDD-8DC7ACE61C21.jpeg
    484.8 KB · Views: 143
2) put your ear right below the bottom right corner of the 17" screen, and see if you hear a humming/buzz coming from that region?

I have version 2022.4.5.1 and I seem to have the hum you are talking about. Thankfully it seems quiet enough that I don't hear it unless I put my head really close to it. I think there is a fan noise from above the cell phone charger. There is a small fan there to pull air to measure the cabin temperature. There also seems like there might be a hum or noise from the cell phone charger as well.

Reactions: paulchou
Anyone seen this?

“UI a020
-
Steering assist reduced
Steering may require increased effort”

One thing after another it seems.
I had this happen once with my 2017 Model S (I lost power steering). It turned out to be a problem with a hardware component not properly initializing when the car woke up. I believe that if you go through a car power-down cycle, it should be reinitialized. You do this by turning off the vehicle from the settings, then don't touch anything inside the vehicle (i.e. brake, windows, opening the door, etc.) for at least two minutes.

How about your puddle lights from the door handles? I have three of them that are good, but the passenger rear light doesn't work because the handle doesn't stick out far enough from the body. See the photos below.
View attachment 770930
View attachment 770931
Yeah, I think this is a common problem that I think has a no-win solution. Variations in the curvature of the rear door panels and/or the adjustments they made to increase the flaring I think cause this, and they deprioritized making the handles retract out fully and perfectly to accommodate. Your handles are likely flush when retracted currently, meaning that a fix to make them stick out more in the extended state (moving the whole handle assembly out more) would make them not flush when retracted.

Yeah, I think this is a common problem that I think has a no-win solution. Variations in the curvature of the rear door panels and/or the adjustments they made to increase the flaring I think cause this, and they deprioritized making the handles retract out fully and perfectly to accommodate. Your handles are likely flush when retracted currently, meaning that a fix to make them stick out more in the extended state (moving the whole handle assembly out more) would make them not flush when retracted.
That's a good point. I went out to check. It is very slightly more recessed when retracted, but mainly it looks like the motor is one tooth off on the sensor is in the wrong spot. It just doesn't push out the handle as much as the others. It's a good 3/8" less pushed out. Seems like something that could be fixed by adjusting the motor and / or hall sensor.

That's a good point. I went out to check. It is very slightly more recessed when retracted, but mainly it looks like the motor is one tooth off on the sensor is in the wrong spot. It just doesn't push out the handle as much as the others. It's a good 3/8" less pushed out. Seems like something that could be fixed by adjusting the motor and / or hall sensor.
There is zero light. Are you sure the door handle light even works? Tesla did fixed an issue with my door handles on my last S and it was fairly easy for mobile service - I think 15 minutes. Yes, they have to take the door panel apart. But it was really straight forward for them. Something to consider.

There is zero light. Are you sure the door handle light even works? Tesla did fixed an issue with my door handles on my last S and it was fairly easy for mobile service - I think 15 minutes. Yes, they have to take the door panel apart. But it was really straight forward for them. Something to consider.
Yup, the light works. If I pull out the handle, the light will shine down correctly. It's just blocked because it isn't sticking out as far as the other 3.

I am getting errors about cures control unavailable and autopilot safety/convenience features unavailable. APP_W221 and APP_W048 in alerts list. The 221 shows as reduced front radar visibility. I thought the new software didn't use radar anymore?

I have a service center appointment for next week but in the meantime it isn't fun to drive with alerts and without even basic cruise control.

Because if I just trade the car in it's a whole heck of a lot less (like a lot less), of course. I figured that would be go without saying. 😅

The ARNR is not a hardware problem that causes the noise before the function was enabled. The function was clearly enabled "behind my back" as disabling it (when the option finally presented itself) solved the problem. Well, mostly. I still have an ARNR I can't enable...

As for the buy-back, Tesla will not trade the car in at full value, as it's a buy-back (and yes, I asked).

Just trying to avoid arbitration if at all possible, though I'm so annoyed by the whole situation I might just do it anyway if they don't figure something out.
What’s the buyback offer? How much money. Please don’t just say thousands.
My advice at this point is loose as little as you can. William, some states don’t have this lemon law luxury.
my question is are you buying another Plaid.

on a side note, I really don’t care what you choose to do. I am In almost disbelief your troubles have lasted this long.
have you had a loaner car the whole time you’re Plaid was down?