Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried turning on/off the Ambient Light setting but nothing changes, still just see a dim light in the footwells. 🤷‍♂️
That's all that ambient light does on our cars at the moment. If you watch the videos there's a connector for the lighting system under the door trim, but no lights. I'm just going the custom route anyways because the ambient lighting they have planned from what I heard isn't rgb anyways.

On another note. Got my estimate today for my door handle repair. Apparently they found another issue with the window. Whoop more parts replaced.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220316-190605.png
    Screenshot_20220316-190605.png
    144.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot_20220316-190656.png
    Screenshot_20220316-190656.png
    949.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Informative
Reactions: Bitjockey
That's all that ambient light does on our cars at the moment. If you watch the videos there's a connector for the lighting system under the door trim, but no lights. I'm just going the custom route anyways because the ambient lighting they have planned from what I heard isn't rgb anyways.

On another note. Got my estimate today for my door handle repair. Apparently they found another issue with the window. Whoop more parts replaced.

Just a heads up that the "Window Issue(s) Detected" is an automated message when the car thinks something is wrong with it.

I had the same message pop up on mine (same window too) and asked them to remove it from the estimate. In order to replace the front window regulator, they need to take off your entire inner-door trim which I personally didn't want them messing with.

Just a heads up that the "Window Issue(s) Detected" is an automated message when the car thinks something is wrong with it.

I had the same message pop up on mine (same window too) and asked them to remove it from the estimate. In order to replace the front window regulator, they need to take off your entire inner-door trim which I personally didn't want them messing with.
I didn't ever have that message pop up. They added it when I went in for my door handle and were doing calibration checks. They've got to take it all off anyways to replace the door handle that randomly pops my door open.

I guess while they were calibrating the door handle they got that additional diag detail.

Are you sure it's tilted? Using a level, mine is level and even. I confirmed the car is level too at the center of the hood (parked in my garage). If it is not level, perhaps a problem with the self-leveling air suspension?
I think we settled this. See below as well as subsequent post.

Took delivery 2 days ago and did not catch one of the door panels being loose. I know I should just wait for Tesla to come out and fix it. But is this something that can be fixed easily myself, meaning is it just not clipped in?

View attachment 782472
It’s either missing the clips or simply isn’t clipped in. So give it a whirl, you won’t hurt it.

Reactions: aerodyne
It’s either missing the clips or simply isn’t clipped in. So give it a whirl, you won’t hurt it.
Actually you can hurt it depending on how it’s attached and how deep you want to go.

I removed my Model X panel and was an absolute bitch to get off and put on.

Many panels hook on the top then snap the rest of way. I forget how that one goes on. So it’s not a matter of just pushing it on. You have to remove it and rehook hook the top. Something could be out of place or spec causing some thing to not line up correctly. You can expect broken clips and you want to replace them so you get a good seal.

I’m a big fan of DIY. But don’t assume it’s just push and snap and it can’t hurt anything. It probably won’t hurt anything. It might snap on, but I doubt it.

Right way to fix that is remove it, replace broken clips and carefully check why it was never put on right. There is usually a reason. Usually it’s a clip that got mashed or out of place.

A cover installed like that probably had a snag and the installer was to impatient to resolve it correctly.

Another example. Got my Model 3 back from rear window replace. Trim was sticking out. Just push it on, right? Nope turns out it was a factory issue and some wires were not tie wrapped to an obvious tie down. The wires were right in a path for a clip. Tied the wires down nice and tidy and cover snapped on perfectly with no extra force. Had I just tried to mash it on I might have damaged the wires.

Don’t just push.

Actually you can hurt it depending on how it’s attached and how deep you want to go.

I removed my Model X panel and was an absolute bitch to get off and put on.

Many panels hook on the top then snap the rest of way. I forget how that one goes on. So it’s not a matter of just pushing it on. You have to remove it and rehook hook the top. Something could be out of place or spec causing some thing to not line up correctly. You can expect broken clips and you want to replace them so you get a good seal.

I’m a big fan of DIY. But don’t assume it’s just push and snap and it can’t hurt anything. It probably won’t hurt anything. It might snap on, but I doubt it.

Right way to fix that is remove it, replace broken clips and carefully check why it was never put on right. There is usually a reason. Usually it’s a clip that got mashed or out of place.

A cover installed like that probably had a snag and the installer was to impatient to resolve it correctly.

Another example. Got my Model 3 back from rear window replace. Trim was sticking out. Just push it on, right? Nope turns out it was a factory issue and some wires were not tie wrapped to an obvious tie down. The wires were right in a path for a clip. Tied the wires down nice and tidy and cover snapped on perfectly with no extra force. Had I just tried to mash it on I might have damaged the wires.

Don’t just push.
Thank you both. Tesla responded to me this morning that mobile technician cannot fix this and that I would need to bring the car in. I am an hour away and hate to have to spend 2 hours driving there and wait around. I am going reach out to them to ask why mobile tech cannot fix this.

Is there any diagram that shows how the driver door panel is attached?

Thank you both. Tesla responded to me this morning that mobile technician cannot fix this and that I would need to bring the car in. I am an hour away and hate to have to spend 2 hours driving there and wait around. I am going reach out to them to ask why mobile tech cannot fix this.

Is there any diagram that shows how the driver door panel is attached?
That does seem really odd that a mobile tech can’t take care of that.

Reactions: aerodyne
That does seem really odd that a mobile tech can’t take care of that.
I bought a service manual for my Model X and watched YouTube videos. But you might not find much on refresh. where the arm rest and door release is new it would be good to know what changed. All it takes is one hidden screw. And there are a few screws / bolts that need to come out.

I bought a service manual for my Model X and watched YouTube videos. But you might not find much on refresh. where the arm rest and door release is new it would be good to know what changed. All it takes is one hidden screw. And there are a few screws / bolts that need to come out.
Great suggestion regarding YouTube. Looks like someone has already posted a video on how to remove the door panel for the refresh S! It looks pretty simple.

Last edited:
First (!) annoying glitch is starting with my October build as the temperatures are climbing. Leaving the car in full sun for an hour+ leads to "Park Assist Unavailable" starting about 30 seconds into driving the car. I assume one of the sensors faults from being too hot - parking in the shade (when its 75 out, so not summer peaks here) will get the error to clear, but MCU reboots won't actually clear the error.

I'll see if Mobile can handle the diagnostics on it after they fix a small interior trim issue (adding more than one thing in mobile causes the scheduling app to push you to a SC, I'll just do a second appointment later).