Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, don't know what else I'd get. The Taycan is slower than the Plaid. :)

I'm slowly managing to get all the things fixed, so there is some hope. The only real question mark left is if they can fix the half shaft vibrations. You might luck out and get a car that doesn't have them, as it seems like only half of the cars seem to have it.

Reactions: jebinc

I'm slowly managing to get all the things fixed, so there is some hope. The only real question mark left is if they can fix the half shaft vibrations. You might luck out and get a car that doesn't have them, as it seems like only half of the cars seem to have it.
It’s on my LR and very annoying. But not nearly as bad as all of the HVAC and AP issues I’m having… My tech says they’re aware of the issue but there’s no fix and they’ve been instructed not to swap the half shafts anymore.

Reactions: jebinc
Not just slower...but Porsche/Audi (and also, Ford) havent yet figured out how to allow the driver to keep full power without damaging the battery packs. Both use "boost" (temporarily allows full power) or in the case of Ford Mach E Performance GT, only gives full power for brief periods.

It’s on my LR and very annoying. But not nearly as bad as all of the HVAC and AP issues I’m having… My tech says they’re aware of the issue but there’s no fix and they’ve been instructed not to swap the half shafts anymore.
What HVAC and AP issues? Specific to your car? Maybe I don't want to know because they have both been super.

They fixed the yoke buzz in 2022.12.1!!!! 🎉🥳😃💯💯🎆

I'm amazed they actually fixed something. We are getting somewhere! An earlier update fixed the dove sound. Now the yoke buzz.

I just need my passenger door fixed, the console cubby light fixed, and a permanent fix for the half shaft vibrations. Then that should be everything! The first two should be fixable by service. The half shafts, not yet...
Mine still buzzes, maybe it’s fainter.

Parking sensors still go out after parking in the sun for awhile. You can still use them by shifting to park and back to drive, but they get blanked out when you move. If you shift to reverse you even get the distance readout to the front when backing out, so clearly everything works it just claims it doesn’t. 😒

I feel like they broke this in 2022.4 for my car.

Mine still buzzes, maybe it’s fainter.

Parking sensors still go out after parking in the sun for awhile. You can still use them by shifting to park and back to drive, but they get blanked out when you move. If you shift to reverse you even get the distance readout to the front when backing out, so clearly everything works it just claims it doesn’t. 😒

I feel like they broke this in 2022.4 for my car.
That's odd. Mine is totally gone. I turned off the HVAC and put my ear right up to it. And mine was really loud before.

Maybe hard reset your car? Maybe the yoke firmware didn't upgrade. Or, you might have a different yoke microprocessor. What was your vin and build date again?

I don't have the parking sensor problem you mentioned. I park all day in the sun one day a week and haven't seen any issue. I'm pretty sure you've got a bad sensor.

Oh man, wtf??? The yoke buzz is back today. Just as loud as before. Reset the car, still here. What the hell? It was totally gone all day yesterday, even with a restart to confirm....
I suspect that the only thing that could be causing the buzz is the haptic feedback engine. These cars do have their quirks with the worst I believe is those with the half shaft vibration. I don't think I have any at all (so far...PLEASE NO !) on my LR but under some high acceleration sometimes I feel a very very (VERY) slight shudder. My issue is the GD RADAR..... I have an intermittent radar on the front of the car that disables ALL AP functions when it craps out. As it is intermittent, of course when it went into the shop it was working so they claim the PPF on the car is blocking the signal. When the guy told me that sometimes the sun can interfere with the signal I knew we were doomed. I actually wonder if it is some interplay between a glitchy camera and the system as it seems to crap out when road definition disappears but then stays crapped for a long time. When I try to engage AP it says 'Radar range reduced - system disabled'. They showed me where I need to have the PPF removed from the fascia (about the size of a license plate) in order for them to continue testing. I was holding off knowing that IF I got the FSD BETA, the radar would be disabled but now 1,800 miles with a 99 safety score and still no BETA and I am not holding my breath. All in all, the car is incredible and I am more tolerant of the glitches than I would be for a much less advanced ICE car however that vibration issue that some of you are having is just ridiculous and the fact that Tesla is gaslighting owners telling them it is 'normal' is just another bad sign driven by more buyers than product. Whew ! Minor rant over but I do LOVE LOVE LOVE the car with almost 10,000 miles on it since September.

Reactions: croman
I forget. But try turning down screen brightness. If I recall the buttons on the yoke adjust with it. It might be at high brightness it buzzes.
No difference with brightness or light settings. Hmm. My theory is that there was a firmware update for the yoke in 2022.12.1, but it wasn't saved to flash correctly and when my car powered down last night for deep sleep the update was lost. I could see how that would happen because all day yesterday my car was awake right after the firmware update. I was in a location where sentry mode was running so it probably never powered down all day. I'm going to ask them to see if they can push the update again to my car.

No difference with brightness or light settings. Hmm. My theory is that there was a firmware update for the yoke in 2022.12.1, but it wasn't saved to flash correctly and when my car powered down last night for deep sleep the update was lost. I could see how that would happen because all day yesterday my car was awake right after the firmware update. I was in a location where sentry mode was running so it probably never powered down all day. I'm going to ask them to see if they can push the update again to my car.
I noticed my car didn’t sleep at all post 2022.12 update until driving it and disconnecting from the charger. It had its nightly deep sleep so will report back if anything actually changes.

I highly doubt it’s software or a software fix. It is curious what conditions temporarily makes it quiet though.

Systems like this have tons of cross checks for partial updates. It would be dangerous if it didn’t.

I highly doubt it’s software or a software fix. It is curious what conditions temporarily makes it quiet though.

Systems like this have tons of cross checks for partial updates. It would be dangerous if it didn’t.

Agreed, also small MCUs execute directly from flash, so losing an update makes no sense.

As for parking sensors, I noticed in EPC the sensors are up to RevD and unique to the refresh. I'm going to have to do a controlled experiment with a heat source and then just do a swap on that sensor. Tesla service so far as been very adamant no hardware swaps will help, from vehicle logs.

Of course, I couldn't recreate the issue today. Need to wait for some more 80+ days.

Reactions: mswlogo
Well new car with 50 mi has a lean to it! Air suspension on right side jacked up to the max for some reason and is stuck. Off to the service center to see what lovliness the Fremont factory blessed me with.

View attachment 791671

My Plaid had one of the sensors not connected and caused the car to completely nose dive when I put it in jack mode and wouldn't go back up. Car had to get towed and the whole front bumper got scratched up underneath which Tesla repaired.

How long before you tried jack mode and caused this issue? Can't believe something basic like connecting a sensor wasn't done. Hope my issue is as simple as something that wasn't connected. Will find out soon...
I would go in with no appointment. This is a safety issue.

Ultimately it was just a single nut was missing. I didn't notice a lean like yours. I found out only a week after getting the car as I had to swap out the summer tires. I received warnings that the system wasn't level and required service prior to the tire appointment but it didn't become a noticeable issue until the car was put on jack mode at the tire shop and the front wouldn't come back up when dropped off the jack.
Was that damage from towing or from the air suspension? I'm guessing from towing. I don't think it can get low enough to scratch the front end.
Front of the car was only 2 inches off the ground. Damage came from the car being driven out of the tire shop and during roadside assistance towing. Tesla agreed to fix it as it was clearly caused by a warranty issue/factory defect.

I would go in with no appointment. This is a safety issue.

Ultimately it was just a single nut was missing. I didn't notice a lean like yours. I found out only a week after getting the car as I had to swap out the summer tires. I received warnings that the system wasn't level and required service prior to the tire appointment but it didn't become a noticeable issue until the car was put on jack mode at the tire shop and the front wouldn't come back up when dropped off the jack.

Front of the car was only 2 inches off the ground. Damage came from the car being driven out of the tire shop and during roadside assistance towing. Tesla agreed to fix it as it was clearly caused by a warranty issue/factory defect.
Do you have any details on this connector or missing nut? I’d love to double check mine.