Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is doing another software update. I’m really wondering if this was a software glitch. However, i wouldn’t be the only one then…
2022.20.7 just came out. I can tell you it fixed one bug from 2022.20.x (prior releases). Whenever the car was "raising suspension for comfort", the text stating so had shifted to the left, covering the outside temperature. This is now fixed in 2022.20.7 as I see it.

Well guys, I just went to drive off to the service center and the door opened??? Now it's functioning completely normally from both inside and outside.
That's how service works - you have a problem, you go to service, and it magically works fine at the service center. I've had other issues magically fixed at service with Tesla and other brands with prior cars. I never could figure out why things self-corrected, but happy that they did.

That's how service works - you have a problem, you go to service, and it magically works fine at the service center. I've had other issues magically fixed at service with Tesla and other brands with prior cars. I never could figure out why things self-corrected, but happy that they did.
In this case he just threatened to go to service…

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
happy to report i just received my new model s a couple days ago and it is almost perfect! i was so nervous that something major would pop up, but the paint, panels, and interior trim are almost all perfect. the only thing that was imperfect upon delivery is a rattle in the rear windshield speaker (i think its loose) and a scratch on the paint (should be fixable). I still have the infamous vibration around 60mph...

that being said, i am super super happy with my new S. such a quite cabin, no wind leaking through seals (my biggest worry, too). I had the 21" arachnids on my 21' model s and my new order came with the 19" tempest. wow what a difference in ride quality! like night and day. this is the way i wanted my car to feel like since the beginning, so pristine, cushiony, and quite. the new matrix headlights, tilt screen, and rear taillight design were definitely worth the upgrade from my previous build.

happy to report i just received my new model s a couple days ago and it is almost perfect! i was so nervous that something major would pop up, but the paint, panels, and interior trim are almost all perfect. the only thing that was imperfect upon delivery is a rattle in the rear windshield speaker (i think its loose) and a scratch on the paint (should be fixable). I still have the infamous vibration around 60mph...

that being said, i am super super happy with my new S. such a quite cabin, no wind leaking through seals (my biggest worry, too). I had the 21" arachnids on my 21' model s and my new order came with the 19" tempest. wow what a difference in ride quality! like night and day. this is the way i wanted my car to feel like since the beginning, so pristine, cushiony, and quite. the new matrix headlights, tilt screen, and rear taillight design were definitely worth the upgrade from my previous build.
Did you get another Plaid? Enjoy your new car in good health!

Reactions: jebinc
Did you get another Plaid? Enjoy your new car in good health!

thank you Ormond!

i ended up getting another S LR. i did have an X on reserve, but canceled it. S is a lot cheaper and it fits my needs. my previous S had the old taillights and the front headlights that were a joke compared to other cars in this price range.

as i mentioned i had the 21" arachnids and while nice aesthetically, the ride was really rough. i'd definitely recommend the 19" tempest to anyone thinking about this decision... if you want a comfy ride. I think they also look really nice with the cap ON... with it off they don't look as good, in my opinion. I also had the black interior previously, but I went with white on my new car... WOW white is the way to go. looks so sexy inside, haha

Question for those of you that have messed with the drivers side door being difficult to close. It requires significantly more force than the other doors. I did notice the other day that the door does stick out just a bit more than it probably should from the middle of the car pillar if that makes sense. Looking from the rear forward you can see a little push out of the door where the passenger side is more flush. Could this have anything to do with it?

Is there an easy adjustment to fix this? I have heard it gets better with time but it almost feels like it is slightly out of alignment or something. I don't want to call service and make anything worse. What do you guys suggest?

Question for those of you that have messed with the drivers side door being difficult to close. It requires significantly more force than the other doors. I did notice the other day that the door does stick out just a bit more than it probably should from the middle of the car pillar if that makes sense. Looking from the rear forward you can see a little push out of the door where the passenger side is more flush. Could this have anything to do with it?

Is there an easy adjustment to fix this? I have heard it gets better with time but it almost feels like it is slightly out of alignment or something. I don't want to call service and make anything worse. What do you guys suggest?
Normally it is the passenger's front door that is a problem.

Does it close easily if the window is rolled down? (The normal problem on the passenger's door was that the glass was at the wrong angle and hitting the seal before the door could latch.)

But they should be able to adjust it. I had a mobile tech adjust a door on my Model Y and it took him about 30 minutes and he did a very good job. (After adjusting the front door he then had to adjust the back door so everything lined up perfectly.)

Reactions: aerodyne
Question for those of you that have messed with the drivers side door being difficult to close.
I've not noticed any difference in closing all four doors - and none are extended out, i.e. they are all flush when closed. I'd go around the rubber seal with your hand and see if there is any unusual bump or hard spot that might be causing the door to be harder to close. It could be the rubber seal is defective and/or was not completely installed.

The striker can be adjust in to make the door flush, however that can make it harder to close. Let service have a crack at it.

Please do NOT let service make any adjustments to your door.

I had this exact problem with my 21' refresh, except it was the passenger door. Tesla service said yes they can adjust the seal and glass so it would close better. It turned out to be the biggest regret I could ever have. They messed up the seal on the door and window and never was my car the same in terms of quietness inside the cabin. I could hear wind noise coming in at 50-60 mph!

I would rather deal with a door requiring a little bit more force to close than a loud cabin at highway speeds. It's up to you though whether you want to take the risk. Maybe it was a one-off type situation, but I am just here to warn that this could be you as well.

I was also hardheaded in not wanting to wait for the door to fix itself as the seals could wear in, but I went against that suggestion and wanted it done NOW (lol). To summarize, having Tesla service "fix" my door (which they did) resulted in more bad than good.

Last update on this. Of all things it IS the Active Road Noise Reduction. The reason I dismissed your suggestion is because I reported this issue back in November, before ARNR was even released! The noise just started one day… Now, this gives credence to the idea that some of these car software features are in shadow mode before being released. So Tesla broke my car in software, and now I have the ARNR update (as of a couple of weeks ago) I can now DISABLE the feature and the problem is solved.

I still can’t explain a couple of things:

1.) Why this noise exists in the first place. It’s awful.
2.) Why it was even louder with the windows down.

Anyway, praise be that this problem is fixed. At the same time ARNR is broken, I guess.
Hi thanks for sharing. Can I know how did they find that it was the root cause and how to replicate this loud noise? Thanks

This Turo Plaid yoke has really been through the wars. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a car with under 10k miles with this sort of steering wheel wear. Crazy.

Attachments

• FEE4C52E-BD30-426A-9C4F-FBC844CFEE62.jpeg
    FEE4C52E-BD30-426A-9C4F-FBC844CFEE62.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Informative