Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Tesla replaced my window side trim due to it being damaged on delivery. The new trim was installed correctly, no issues there. However, I noticed the weather stripping on the driver door where it meets the top of the window look irregular and sticks out when the door is closed unlike the other doors. Unfortunately, I can't remember if it was like this prior to the repair. Looking at the weatherstripping with the door open I can't see anywhere it looks incorrectly installed. Anyone know if this is "within normal limits"? On the other doors when the window closes in the full up position it "catches" the weatherstripping and pushes it up mostly underneath the black trim. Any input extremely appreciated. I'm a very busy person and don't want to deal with Tesla again if I can avoid it...

IMG_0972.jpg

So Tesla replaced my window side trim due to it being damaged on delivery. The new trim was installed correctly, no issues there. However, I noticed the weather stripping on the driver door where it meets the top of the window look irregular and sticks out when the door is closed unlike the other doors. Unfortunately, I can't remember if it was like this prior to the repair. Looking at the weatherstripping with the door open I can't see anywhere it looks incorrectly installed. Anyone know if this is "within normal limits"? On the other doors when the window closes in the full up position it "catches" the weatherstripping and pushes it up mostly underneath the black trim. Any input extremely appreciated. I'm a very busy person and don't want to deal with Tesla again if I can avoid it...

View attachment 859294
Sticking out a little? Yes. Like your image? No. I trust someone here will post a picture of theirs since I’m not near the car at the moment.

It's certainly asymmetric from the passenger side which tucks up nicely when the window comes up. Does anyone know how the weatherstripping is installed? It is anchored underneath the black trim piece or is it simply a press fit? Basically, I'd like to know if this is something I can fix at home.

The more I look at it, the more it simply looks defective. I'm beginning to think it was always this way and never noticed it.

Last edited:
It's certainly asymmetric from the passenger side which tucks up nicely when the window comes up. Does anyone know how the weatherstripping is installed? It is anchored underneath the black trim piece or is it simply a press fit? Basically, I'd like to know if this is something I can fix at home.

The more I look at it, the more it simply looks defective. I'm beginning to think it was always this way and never noticed it.
I took some hurried pictures. It hangs down just a tad toward the rear door, almost unnoticeable. Same on both sides. My 2021 was the same (give or take within spec, since I noticed the lack of uniformity back then, too). Yours seems more extreme.

Attachments

• CCA981D5-46C8-4EAF-B4D7-801EB11D129B.jpeg
    CCA981D5-46C8-4EAF-B4D7-801EB11D129B.jpeg
    324.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 7047D7A1-2C59-4714-A1CD-90AE6255CB84.jpeg
    7047D7A1-2C59-4714-A1CD-90AE6255CB84.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 125
Haven't posted here yet, so I'll share some of my issues. Overall, nothing terrible. As I get older, I find I'm less and less concerned about the small things :). My only real issue is my PPF appointment was now pushed out a couple of weeks due to Tesla service needing to fix things.

Received my red Model S on 9/13.

Saw a tiny scratch on the front lip, which prompted me to look underneath. Saw this on the passenger side.

72EB02C2-DDB8-4BF4-932B-3F909D92D865.jpeg

And this on the driver's side side. Had the front bumper replaced 3 days later. Came out very nice, no issues.

C762B582-765A-466A-9AFF-0C42C9403C81.jpeg

The weather stripping under the driver's side mirror. Noticed it after washing it the first time. Doesn't bother me THAT much, but cmon guys.

468ADC94-7A89-404A-BC41-E0D5E2B5746D.jpeg

Also noticed upon first wash. Right over rear wheel/rear quarter panel driver's side, there's a scratch/haze that's under the clearcoat. You can sort of see a white curve.

B1B1AE20-3C52-4602-BA55-2CA0E91374D5.jpeg

And this is passenger side A pillar. They fixed it once but it still drops. Doesn't clip back in. I'm sure I can fix it, but I'll just have them do it.

Having this and the above two issues looked at by Tesla service this week.

9F65505B-DDFC-498E-8468-C7DA628F9207.jpeg

Those are all completely unacceptable. Tesla doesn’t give a crap about quality. They’re pushing out cars and basically telling you to take it or leave it.

I'm not that bothered. So far they've been accommodating and fixing things as I bring them up. They haven't been building cars like Ford for 150+ years so I'm not as picky as I would normally be. No misaligned panels or anything TOO serious so I'm okay.

I'm not that bothered. So far they've been accommodating and fixing things as I bring them up. They haven't been building cars like Ford for 150+ years so I'm not as picky as I would normally be. No misaligned panels or anything TOO serious so I'm okay.
I’m glad you’re taking it well, but the car never should have been delivered with such obvious defects. Hopefully Tesla can fix everything for you.

Reactions: cwanja and aerodyne
I ‘accept’ the minor issues with these cars (4 of our own, multitude of inspections for friends and family) knowing that Tesla has addressed every legitimate unissued I’ve raised. Service (particularly Agoura Hills) has not let us down in that regard for 5 years of ownership.

Stress level is exponentially lower now than for our first delivery. :)

Per the service manual, replacing it is quite a lot of work. Trim between doors has to be removed and cameras recalibrated.
Can attest to this as I had my door gasket trim w/e replaced last year. On the bright side, this is in scope of mobile service. Beware this is one of those things that really separate techs who have attention to detail from those that don't. The trim comes as one giant connected loop that needs like an hour of massaging to get it in just right, which explains all the variances in the fit of this piece across units.

Slight irk - they didn't recalibrate my cameras AFAIK...

I ‘accept’ the minor issues with these cars (4 of our own, multitude of inspections for friends and family) knowing that Tesla has addressed every legitimate unissued I’ve raised. Service (particularly Agoura Hills) has not let us down in that regard for 5 years of ownership.

My car two days after Van Nuys replaced the front DU driveshafts.

Scheduled for agoura hills but they changed it back to VN.

Attachments

• IMG_20221009_082004882.jpg
    IMG_20221009_082004882.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 98
Not sure if this is unique to Model S refresh, but it didn't happen with my Model 3...

Since getting my MS in August I have twice requested FSD beta, and both times the request was canceled after several days. That is I made the request, was able to obsess over my Safety Score for a few days, and then the Safety Score disappeared from the app and the car will once again let me request FSD. Anyone else had this happen?

The motor latching mechanism on rear hatch for my '22 Model S makes a loud buzzing noise after closing. Service center has tried telling me this is normal but it definitely is not present in my X or Y and my previously owned S also. Can someone confirm their rear hatch closes softly and quietly without a mechanical buzzing noise after the close?