Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Blackout Trim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I'm new to this forum and not yet an owner. I just placed an order for a 2021 Model S. I may be in the minority but I don't like the blacked out trim. All 2021 Model Ss come with blacked out trim. I much prefer chrome trim and bright aluminum wheels. Are there others out there in agreement? Is there any GOOD solution for this? Thanks in advance.

Hi - I'm new to this forum and not yet an owner. I just placed an order for a 2021 Model S. I may be in the minority but I don't like the blacked out trim. All 2021 Model Ss come with blacked out trim. I much prefer chrome trim and bright aluminum wheels. Are there others out there in agreement? Is there any GOOD solution for this? Thanks in advance.
Do a chrome undelete. They will basically wrap all of the previously chrome parts back in chrome. And then buy aftermarket wheels.

They won't be compatible, there's a lot of subtle changes to the refreshed S.
Really, I guarantee most of them will be interchangeable. Tesla did not retool the production line just to give the new car black trim. Window surrounds are the same, mirrors are the same, door handles are the same, front lower "v" and rear chrome between tail lights are the only pieces that might not swap over.

We will know in the fullness of time when someone actually attempts to do this.

Reactions: nomis_nehc
I personally love the black trim. the car looks much more modern, sportier, and overall better. I have the refresh with black paint and the black trim makes the car look so sleek. In all other colors the black trim really is a beautiful and once again modern contrast!

If you dont like it, I am sure there is some kind of metallic wrap out there to wrap your trim back to chrome...

Reactions: cwanja
Really, I guarantee most of them will be interchangeable. Tesla did not retool the production line just to give the new car black trim. Window surrounds are the same, mirrors are the same, door handles are the same, front lower "v" and rear chrome between tail lights are the only pieces that might not swap over.

We will know in the fullness of time when someone actually attempts to do this.
Based on tear downs by Unplugged Performance and Electric Performance, they both say that the majority of the refresh Model S is newly designed parts over the previous generation. So I wouldn't assume such.

Watch this to get some perspective, as the Electric Performance team lead says he roughly estimates there is 90% in newly designed parts.

IMO the only color that looks acceptable with the black trim is the white car, aka "Stormtrooper" color scheme.

Everything else reminds me of those inexpensive cars from decades ago where the mirrors, bumpers, and other trim was black plastic instead of painted body color.

Based on tear downs by Unplugged Performance and Electric Performance, they both say that the majority of the refresh Model S is newly designed parts over the previous generation. So I wouldn't assume such.

Watch this to get some perspective, as the Electric Performance team lead says he roughly estimates there is 90% in newly designed parts.
Cool video and I loved seeing the tear down. Agree there are a lot of changes to the drivetrain, suspension, interior and other parts. But nothing in that video changes my perspective on the trim. If anything, getting a closer look at the front "V" leads me to believe you could swap that too. The window trim, mirrors, door handles all reamain unchanged. Keep in mind Tesla will do everything it can to make as few changes to production lines as possible.

So if they did not change the window profile trim, If I really hated the black trim maybe I could buy pre-2021 trim from Tesla and have it installed? Others have suggested vinyl wrapping the trim but I don't know how that would look or how long it would last. I would really like to like the black trim - but I don't.

Cool video and I loved seeing the tear down. Agree there are a lot of changes to the drivetrain, suspension, interior and other parts. But nothing in that video changes my perspective on the trim. If anything, getting a closer look at the front "V" leads me to believe you could swap that too. The window trim, mirrors, door handles all reamain unchanged. Keep in mind Tesla will do everything it can to make as few changes to production lines as possible.
Yup, agreed that Tesla likes to keep costs down by using similar parts. Just was commenting that it’s prudent not to assume that it’s an automatic 1:1 swap with the refresh and previous gen.

So if they did not change the window profile trim, If I really hated the black trim maybe I could buy pre-2021 trim from Tesla and have it installed? Others have suggested vinyl wrapping the trim but I don't know how that would look or how long it would last. I would really like to like the black trim - but I don't.
Here's a litmus test for ya: I wrapped my Model S five years ago with a gloss black chrome delete 5 years ago (except I left the Tesla emblems in chrome just like Tesla did with the refresh). When I pulled into my local Tesla service center a few weeks ago to check out the refresh model, a sales person walked by and asked when I bought my Plaid. (Yes, it looks that similar).

Bottom line: just wrap it.