Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S build quality vs Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had a Model 3 Performance for 2.5 years now. Excellent driving dynamics, poor build quality.
I’m thinking about getting a Model S now.
How would you guys compare the build quality between the 3 and S. I understand the new 2021 S isn’t out yet, but maybe some of your experience with the earlier Model S will have a lot to say.
Should I be worried or should I expect a better build quality considering the price.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
We own both an S and 3, both 2018, and haven’t noticed a difference in build quality, assuming you mean defects and such. No problems with either car. Experience with the previous Model S isn’t representative of what the new S will be like, so no one can answer your question until Tesla starts delivering the new S.

Reactions: khaliq
I’ve had a Model 3 Performance for 2.5 years now. Excellent driving dynamics, poor build quality.
I’m thinking about getting a Model S now.
How would you guys compare the build quality between the 3 and S. I understand the new 2021 S isn’t out yet, but maybe some of your experience with the earlier Model S will have a lot to say.
Should I be worried or should I expect a better build quality considering the price.
I had a Model S 85D for 3 yrs, then got a Performance Model 3... let's just say I'm going back to the Model S (waiting for my S LR now!). I can't specifically claim anything wrong with the "build quality", but the ride comfort is not even comparable. The road and wind noise in the M3 is way worse than the Model S (my 3 is before they made them dual pane, but from the tests I've seen the dual pane didn't make it that much better). If you're asking more around # of failures, panel gaps, etc., I can't say I saw much of a difference.