Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S build quality vs Model 3

khaliq

Jan 2, 2019
Texas
I’ve had a Model 3 Performance for 2.5 years now. Excellent driving dynamics, poor build quality.
I’m thinking about getting a Model S now.
How would you guys compare the build quality between the 3 and S. I understand the new 2021 S isn’t out yet, but maybe some of your experience with the earlier Model S will have a lot to say.
Should I be worried or should I expect a better build quality considering the price.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude

EVRider-FL

Aug 18, 2015
South Florida
We own both an S and 3, both 2018, and haven’t noticed a difference in build quality, assuming you mean defects and such. No problems with either car. Experience with the previous Model S isn’t representative of what the new S will be like, so no one can answer your question until Tesla starts delivering the new S.

Reactions: khaliq

chromeboy

Feb 5, 2017
California, USA
I’ve had a Model 3 Performance for 2.5 years now. Excellent driving dynamics, poor build quality.
I’m thinking about getting a Model S now.
How would you guys compare the build quality between the 3 and S. I understand the new 2021 S isn’t out yet, but maybe some of your experience with the earlier Model S will have a lot to say.
Should I be worried or should I expect a better build quality considering the price.
I had a Model S 85D for 3 yrs, then got a Performance Model 3... let's just say I'm going back to the Model S (waiting for my S LR now!). I can't specifically claim anything wrong with the "build quality", but the ride comfort is not even comparable. The road and wind noise in the M3 is way worse than the Model S (my 3 is before they made them dual pane, but from the tests I've seen the dual pane didn't make it that much better). If you're asking more around # of failures, panel gaps, etc., I can't say I saw much of a difference.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC