Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

2021 Model S Frunk hard to close?

Is it just my 2021 plaid or are all Model S frunk require a lot of pressure to close? The hood is so soft that pressing gently with two hands causes it to buckle in. Thankfully I didn't dent the hood, but I can see it happening if someone does not know how to handle it. I hope there is an adjustment they can make to have it require less pressure.

Upvote 0
The hood is made from aluminum as is the majority of the body which is a very soft metal. When closing the frunk, you should lower the frunk until it is right above the latch and then press firmly at the latch point (front-center of the hood) to latch it.

If you try to close it like a traditional car hood, you will risk buckling/bending it.

PCMc

Jul 1, 2016
Columbus, IN
The hood is made from aluminum as is the majority of the body which is a very soft metal. When closing the frunk, you should lower the frunk until it is right above the latch and then press firmly at the latch point (front-center of the hood) to latch it.

If you try to close it like a traditional car hood, you will risk buckling/bending it.
You actually do not want to push directly at the latch point (front center of the hood).
Instructions are to push with both hands positioned as either side of the latch, not directly over it.
Here is the illustration from the current 2021 Model S owners manual I just pulled from Tesla's site.

1633338956928.png

Having seen these problems, went out to check my frunk lid which has been closing well but with perhaps a little too firm a push needed. I found that the nose of mine rocked when closed, seemingly because the two lateral bung stops were clear of their seats. So I used two strips of paper under the stop locations and turned out the bungs until they just dragged on the paper strips when holding the frunk hood down firmly. Shutting the hood felt just the same but it does not now rock. Proof of even and secure location comes by pressing around the hood edges and having it sink a little by taking up the resilience of the frunk seal. Put a drop of sealant on the bungs to fix them (one of mine was really loose).

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
Gently lower the frunk down until the first latch touches. It makes it easier to reverse both your hands so your fingers are at the front of the hood when you press down to close the frunk firmly. This correctly positions the force over the areas you are supposed to press on to close the frunk. Never apply force to the lip of the frunk, or it will bend.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC