Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Frunk hard to close?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just my 2021 plaid or are all Model S frunk require a lot of pressure to close? The hood is so soft that pressing gently with two hands causes it to buckle in. Thankfully I didn't dent the hood, but I can see it happening if someone does not know how to handle it. I hope there is an adjustment they can make to have it require less pressure.

The hood is made from aluminum as is the majority of the body which is a very soft metal. When closing the frunk, you should lower the frunk until it is right above the latch and then press firmly at the latch point (front-center of the hood) to latch it.

If you try to close it like a traditional car hood, you will risk buckling/bending it.

The hood is made from aluminum as is the majority of the body which is a very soft metal. When closing the frunk, you should lower the frunk until it is right above the latch and then press firmly at the latch point (front-center of the hood) to latch it.

If you try to close it like a traditional car hood, you will risk buckling/bending it.
You actually do not want to push directly at the latch point (front center of the hood).
Instructions are to push with both hands positioned as either side of the latch, not directly over it.
Here is the illustration from the current 2021 Model S owners manual I just pulled from Tesla's site.

1633338956928.png

Having seen these problems, went out to check my frunk lid which has been closing well but with perhaps a little too firm a push needed. I found that the nose of mine rocked when closed, seemingly because the two lateral bung stops were clear of their seats. So I used two strips of paper under the stop locations and turned out the bungs until they just dragged on the paper strips when holding the frunk hood down firmly. Shutting the hood felt just the same but it does not now rock. Proof of even and secure location comes by pressing around the hood edges and having it sink a little by taking up the resilience of the frunk seal. Put a drop of sealant on the bungs to fix them (one of mine was really loose).

Gently lower the frunk down until the first latch touches. It makes it easier to reverse both your hands so your fingers are at the front of the hood when you press down to close the frunk firmly. This correctly positions the force over the areas you are supposed to press on to close the frunk. Never apply force to the lip of the frunk, or it will bend.

Isn't the hood part number different for the pre and post 2021 Model S? Does anyone know if you can put a 2021 hood on a pre 2021 vehicle? I just assumed that because they are different that the new hood was a bit les fragile.
Hood Part numbers are different. As are doors and liftgate. Not sure how they differ though.

2017 1051875-E0-G HOOD ASY COMP,ECOAT ONLY
2021 1562730-E0-A HOOD

Is it just my 2021 plaid or are all Model S frunk require a lot of pressure to close? The hood is so soft that pressing gently with two hands causes it to buckle in. Thankfully I didn't dent the hood, but I can see it happening if someone does not know how to handle it. I hope there is an adjustment they can make to have it require less pressure.
This is one of the reasons I opted for an aftermarket power frunk kit. It latches the frunk by pulling down via the power struts. I use the frunk semi-regularly and no issues to date.

I've actually found this one to be quite good (EVOffer variant of power frunk). It seamlessly integrates with the car, meaning it can be activated from either the touchscreen or the app. It made the frunk about 1000% more useful (don't have to worry about bending the hood, don't have to get hands dirty or wet in winter etc.).
Same. It's made my actually use the frunk (all the time now) and no issues for the many months since install. It's also let me avoid finger/handprints up front, which selfishly on a black car was part of the reason I didn't use prior to install of automated solution.

Reactions: WilliamG
Very tempted to pick it up. How hard to install, would you say?
I'd say install is not hard at all and only needed socket/screwdriver/spudger tools and patience. Total install for me was ~4 hours "under hood" time, but partly because I spent 45 min-1hr testing and trying to find the perfect spot for all the wiring channels (which I will say that since installed I haven't had to take a single look so that was a waste of time). Most of the time was removing/re-installing screws and the frunk tub, etc. which was the first time I'd ever worked on this area of my (first) Tesla so I took my time but maybe was slower than I needed to be. If I were to do again, probably be in and out in 2 hrs.

@WiLz was gracious enough to post a fantastic install video that made double-checking against a visual a breeze - Power Frunk Group Buy - MS Refresh LR/Plaid

I'd say install is not hard at all and only needed socket/screwdriver/spudger tools and patience. Total install for me was ~4 hours "under hood" time, but partly because I spent 45 min-1hr testing and trying to find the perfect spot for all the wiring channels (which I will say that since installed I haven't had to take a single look so that was a waste of time). Most of the time was removing/re-installing screws and the frunk tub, etc. which was the first time I'd ever worked on this area of my (first) Tesla so I took my time but maybe was slower than I needed to be. If I were to do again, probably be in and out in 2 hrs.

@WiLz was gracious enough to post a fantastic install video that made double-checking against a visual a breeze - Power Frunk Group Buy - MS Refresh LR/Plaid
Doesn't look too bad. I'll mull it over, thanks!

For those that have installed EVOffer’s Electric Frunk kit, does it allow you to manually close the Frunk? Can you take a picture of the installed strut?

I purchased 2 kits from them back in April ($499.00 each) for both my Model S and X. I installed The Model X first and it worked great. But on the Model S I couldn’t get it to manually close without possibly damaging the hood.

I reported this to them via video and texting using Telegram app. Their tech support is great but I believe the first version of the product was prematurely released since the struts were way to heavy duty to allow manual closing. So you have to explain to anyone who attempts to manually close the Frunk not to. Imagine leaving it at the service center and then the tech damaging the hood when manually closing.

They now have their MARK 5.0+ kit which introduces a 3-section thinner strut and It’s now only $399.00. Would be great to know that it works manually. I just wished Tesla had automatic Frunk from factory.

Please share your experience with their newer kits.