Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S hit by bus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had refreshed Model S LR for only 9 months and was hit by a bus while parked on the side of the street. So sad, but luckily nobody was hurt. The side of the car was swiped and took out the front driver side wheel and front end. The airbags did not deploy. I assume the suspension and other components are damaged. Not sure what else is in that area. It is sitting at a Tesla approved service shop. I’m not sure if they will total it or try to repair it. I’m worried if they try and repair it that it won’t ever drive the same or issues in the future. Appreciate any advice on what I should ask and make sure of during this process.
EA91113D-A563-4C0A-9EE5-3377127A6563.jpeg
Thanks!

Dang that sucks. Lots of threads here which discuss "diminished value" and how to add that to the insurance bill. I assume other driver is at fault and their insurance will cover the repair. Good to hear your car is already at Tesla approved body shop.

And as others here will say, don't accept a check from other insurance as pre-repair payout. Only take payment at conclusion of repair, accounting for the complete repair + diminished value calculation.

Good luck.

This should be discussed with your insurance company whether or not it is totaled. The bus company would be the ones footing the bill but future accidents/problems may be covered by yours.

I would also be concerned with any impact damage to the battery compartment/cooling that may be hidden.

I would always ask the insurance company to take possession of the car after a major accident like this, and to provide me with the value of the car before the collision. It will likely take months to get your car back anyway. Then the insurance company can fool with repairs and selling the car after it is repaired. Meanwhile, you can go and do something else, but buying another Tesla right now may take a while as well.

Maybe it isn't as badly damaged as I think. I am not a pro at collision damage.

Reactions: Dayreg
I’ve had refreshed Model S LR for only 9 months and was hit by a bus while parked on the side of the street. So sad, but luckily nobody was hurt. The side of the car was swiped and took out the front driver side wheel and front end. The airbags did not deploy. I assume the suspension and other components are damaged. Not sure what else is in that area. It is sitting at a Tesla approved service shop. I’m not sure if they will total it or try to repair it. I’m worried if they try and repair it that it won’t ever drive the same or issues in the future. Appreciate any advice on what I should ask and make sure of during this process.View attachment 809130 Thanks!
you should be concerned at how you’re going to get a new vehicle at this point. I’m guessing you got in on the $79K original price point.

Most Insurance companies are not going to cover replacement cost for a new one.

Let us know how it goes.

I recently got my plaid back from the body shop for very similar damage. Front right suspension was all replaced, bumper cover, headlamp, front subframe, (pretty much every single part on the front right mechanically was replaced., even some rear suspension links were replaced. They even had to R/I the HV battery to replace air lines for the suspension.
Paint is better than new. Car drives better than new, especially under hard acceleration.
Total damage was $20k. Parts came within 2 weeks. Total time at the shop was 6.

Dont worry, if your Tesla approved body shop is as good as mine, your car will literally be like new.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 4.40.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 4.40.10 PM.png
    260.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 4.40.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 4.40.01 PM.png
    217.9 KB · Views: 73
We had a similar "accident" where a pickup turned in to park in front of my car and took off the front end.

Do not despair.

Our local body shop was putting the car on their flatbed when we came out of the restaurant. Body parts were laying in the road, BUT THEY FIXED IT LIKE NEW. Took a few weeks to get parts from Tesla back then, but they did the job right. Never any tell-tale signs of being in an accident. In fact, the new owner was told of the accident (which by then had happened a couple years earlier), crawled around looking for damage, found none, and went away happy. That happened when the car was almost new, and it now has over 100,000 miles on it. Still runs perfectly.

I’ve had refreshed Model S LR for only 9 months and was hit by a bus while parked on the side of the street. So sad, but luckily nobody was hurt. The side of the car was swiped and took out the front driver side wheel and front end. The airbags did not deploy. I assume the suspension and other components are damaged. Not sure what else is in that area. It is sitting at a Tesla approved service shop. I’m not sure if they will total it or try to repair it. I’m worried if they try and repair it that it won’t ever drive the same or issues in the future. Appreciate any advice on what I should ask and make sure of during this process.View attachment 809130 Thanks!
Not as bad as it looks is my guess. New suspension pieces and new wheel will address driving issues. Rest is basic body/paintwork. You’ll be fine

Thanks for all the advice and reassuring that others have had a good experience. Will keep you all updated on how it goes. They told me to expect delays due to parts likely looking at 3-4 months to get my car back.
Yea hope fully everything will be ok for you when you get the car back like this never happened! so you can go back driving this awesome car!