Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@jlear was nice enough to let me look at his new Midnight Silver LR with 21" rims tonight. As an existing Model S 90D owner, below are the main questions I wanted answered for myself. I hope this helps anyone on the fence about LR vs Plaid, or whether to order the refresh at all.

Is there a continuous linear pull beyond 60MPH? Without a Dragy on hand for actual numbers (sorry boys & girls), I can happily say that the refreshed LR feels like it keeps pulling equally strong from the 0-60 band that it does the 60-100 band. On previous model S cars, you feel a substantial drop-off on the upper powerbands. Not with this puppy! Much like the Plaid reviews, This. Thing. Keeps. Pulling.

If I stomp on the accelerator at 60MPH, does it provide a strong enough pull from there? For me, yes, yes, yes. @jlear was devilish enough to stomp on it without forewarning me as we drove around, and for the first time in a long while, I felt like your typical newbie who's never rode in a performance Tesla before. I found myself chuckling out loud like a 10 year old little school boy... it was that good of a surprise every time he punched it. Without raw benchmarks in hand, this LR feels like a P90D to me while in Insane Mode, without any of the drawbacks like SoC dependencies. And that is without even trying Launch Mode yet. So yeah, bet your bottom dollar you can still do the acceleration party trick surprise in this bad boy. Tesla may call this the LR, but I consider it a "Performance Model S LR".

With a lower State of Charge, does performance fall off like on previous models? I didn't check that, but something tells me that similar to the Plaid mode, the answer is no. Someone else will need to confirm that.

Does the car handle and ride significantly better? Much like the 2019/2020 Ravens, the adaptive suspension is much more forgiving on the bumps, but the 2021 refresh feels even better on the turns and at high-speed straightaways than what I remember on the Ravens. Someone else here said they were able to get a 2021 on a lift and said the suspension is all new, and I believe it. I was going to put on aftermarket 20" rims similar to my current Model S to smooth out the ride and quiet the ride a tad, but I might just go with 21" aftermarket rims after this ride. Btw, road noise is much improved with the double paned glass, but I wouldn't say it is as quiet as a Lexus. But it is certainly better, just like previous Model S builds have gotten a little quieter with each passing year. I'm sure someone will do some sound level tests to measure actual differences in decibels. As for motor whine, the only time I could really hear it was when he pounded on the accelerator. Otherwise, I didn't notice it.

Does the interior feel substantially better than previous generation Model S's? Much like what was posted here, hell yes. Little things like more premium feeling materials, including the vegan leather, carpet and alcantara all feel more plush. Even the hard surfaces have a more luxurious feel to them. Little details we all expect on a car (let alone a luxury performance car) like the dry-cleaning hooks in the rear and vanity lights in the visors are there. All the major gripes I've had with previous Model S generations, they've finally addressed with this generation. The now-returned ventilated front seats feel great for the warm weather here in North Carolina, and the AC really feels much more adequate too. When dropping the rear seats, no more bump across the middle! Although the overall surface area is still slightly elevated from front to back, I would say the cargo area will be flat enough for me to slap down my air mattress without extra padding under the rear area, and get some solid sleep on.

How is the tech (displays, software, graphical interface) over previous generations? As a techie who is also big on AV, this is always a priority for me in any car. Similar to what others here have said, the displays in this model are very crisp and the brightness is much improved over the previous generations. Certainly worthy of playing 4K video or current gen games, IMHO. The touchscreen has the responsiveness similar to a current smartphone (perhaps just a little slower, but hey, it is a massive screen), including multitouch use. But as most know, the software is raw. Feels more like an alpha build to me than a beta release, given stability seems lacking (e.g MCU reboots, phone as key not working, etc.). Let alone the features stated in the owner's manual that are currently absent. But for those who've never owned a Tesla before, my only advice is to not obsess over that now. The car is bleeding edge when it comes to tech. Just enjoy the car. When the software updates roll out from Tesla, these things will be incrementally addressed.

Does the exterior look substantially better than previous generation Model S's? I was able to look at two refresh Model S cars today, one in black and the other Midnight Silver. Photos don't do it justice. You need to see it in person to really appreciate the changes. Little things like the fog lights and the more aggressive body styling around the wheels make a world of difference. The massively wide 295 tires on the back make the car look sick too. Lastly, as someone who has chrome-deleted my last two cars, I certainly think the black trim on this refresh is the biggest improvement over the previous generations. We're not driving your grandfather's 1955 Caddy anymore, folks! That said, as to whether I will chrome-delete the Tesla emblems or leave them as is, I'm actually still on the fence.

Will I miss anything in particular with the previous generations of Model S's? Absolutely. The ability to open the sunroof during those pleasant weather days. Unlimited free charging on long road trips, just so I don't think about it. And I'm still on the fence about no more steering wheel and stalks. I love the look of the yolk, but like others here, I will probably dread what that means in daily use until I've driven it a week or two. I've seen the complaints about taking turns, but even more complaints about trying to use the buttons in absence of stalks. Or even accidentally pressing the buttons. So that yoke is still a big question mark for me. At least I can "hit the horn" without looking for the little button (tip: place your hand over the right set of buttons). Just hope I can do that successfully while the yoke it upside down!

Hope this helps folks. On a related note, my Dragy arrives tomorrow. So if anyone in the Raleigh area wants to benchmark their Plaid or LR with a few runs, let me know!

Last edited:
@jlear was nice enough to let me look at his new Midnight Silver LR with 21" rims tonight. As an existing Model S 90D owner, below are the main questions I wanted answered for myself. I hope this helps anyone on the fence about LR vs Plaid, or whether to order the refresh at all.

Is there a continues linear pull beyond 60MPH? Without a Dragy on hand for actual numbers (sorry boys & girls), I can happily say that the refreshed LR feels like it keeps pulling equally strong from the 0-60 band that it does the 60-100 band. On previous model S cars, you feel a substantial drop-off on the upper powerbands. Not with this puppy! Much like the Plaid reviews, This. Thing. Keeps. Pulling.

If I stomp on the accelerator at 60MPH, does it provide a strong enough pull from there? For me, yes, yes, yes. @jlear was devilish enough to stomp on it without forewarning me as we drove around, and for the first time in a long while, I felt like your typical newbie who's never rode in a performance Tesla before. I found myself chuckling out loud like a 10 year old little school boy... it was that good of a surprise every time he punched it.

With a lower State of Charge, does performance fall off like on previous models? I didn't check that, but something tells me that similar to the Plaid mode, the answer is no. Someone else will need to confirm that.

Does the car handle and ride significantly better? Much like the 2019/2020 Ravens, the suspension is much more forgiving on the bumps, but the 2021 refresh feels even better on the turns than what I remember on the Ravens. Someone else here said they were able to get a 2021 on a lift and said the suspension is all new, and I believe it. I was going to put on aftermarket 20" rims similar to my current Model S to smooth out the ride and quiet the ride a tad, but I might just go with 21" aftermarket rims after this ride. Btw, road noise is much improved with the double paned glass, but I wouldn't say it is as quiet as a Lexus. But it is certainly better, just like previous Model S builds have gotten a little quieter with each passing year. I'm sure someone will do some sound level tests to measure actual differences in decibels. As for motor whine, the only time I could really hear it was when he pounded on the accelerator. Otherwise, I didn't notice it.

Does the interior feel substantially better than previous generation Model S's? Much like what was posted here, hell yes. Little things like more premium feeling materials, including the vegan leather, carpet and alcantara all feel more plush. Even the hard surfaces have a more luxurious feel to them. Little details we all expect on a car (let alone a luxury performance car) like the dry-cleaning hooks in the rear and vanity lights in the visors are there. All the major gripes I've had with previous Model S generations, they've finally addressed with this generation. The now-returned ventilated front seats feel great for the warm weather here in North Carolina, and the AC really feels much more adequate too. When dropping the rear seats, no more bump across the middle! Although the overall surface area is still slightly elevated from front to back, I would say the cargo area will be flat enough for me to slap down my air mattress without extra padding under the rear area, and get some solid sleep on.

How is the tech (displays, software, graphical interface) over previous generations? As a techie who is also big on AV, this is always a priority for me in any car. Similar to what others here have said, the displays in this model are very crisp and the brightness is much improved over the previous generations. Certainly worthy of playing 4K video or current gen games, IMHO. The touchscreen has the responsiveness similar to a current smartphone (perhaps just a little slower, but hey, it is a massive screen), including multitouch use. But as most know, the software is raw. Feels more like an alpha build to me than a beta release, given stability seems lacking (e.g MCU reboots, phone as key not working, etc.). Let alone the features stated in the owner's manual that are currently absent. But for those who've never owned a Tesla before, my only advice is to not obsess over that now. The car is bleeding edge when it comes to tech. Just enjoy the car. When the software updates roll out from Tesla, these things will be incrementally addressed.

Does the exterior look substantially better than previous generation Model S's? I was able to look at two refresh Model S cars today, one in black and the other Midnight Silver. Photos don't do it justice. You need to see it in person to really appreciate the changes. Little things like the fog lights and the more aggressive body styling around the wheels make a world of difference. The massively wide 295 tires on the back make the car look sick too. Lastly, as someone who has chrome-deleted my last two cars, I certainly think the black trim on this refresh is the biggest improvement over the previous generations. We're not driving your grandfather's 1955 Caddy anymore, folks! That said, as to whether I will chrome-delete the Tesla emblems or leave them as is, I'm actually still on the fence.

Will I miss anything in particular with the previous generations of Model S's? Absolutely. The ability to open the sunroof during those pleasant weather days. Unlimited free charging on long road trips, just so I don't think about it. And I'm still on the fence about no more steering wheel and stalks. I love the look of the yolk, but like others here, I will probably dread what that means in daily use until I've driven it a week or two. I've seen the complaints about taking turns, but even more complaints about trying to use the buttons in absence of stalks. Or even accidentally pressing the buttons. So that yoke is still a big question mark for me. At least I can "hit the horn" without looking for the little button (tip: place your hand over the right set of buttons). Just hope I can do that successfully while the yoke it upside down!

Hope this helps folks. On a related note, my Dragy arrives tomorrow. So if anyone in the Raleigh area wants to benchmark their Plaid or LR with a few runs, let me know!
Awesome write up! thank you

Is there a continuous linear pull beyond 60MPH? Without a Dragy on hand for actual numbers (sorry boys & girls), I can happily say that the refreshed LR feels like it keeps pulling equally strong from the 0-60 band that it does the 60-100 band. On previous model S cars, you feel a substantial drop-off on the upper powerbands. Not with this puppy! Much like the Plaid reviews, This. Thing. Keeps. Pulling.

If I stomp on the accelerator at 60MPH, does it provide a strong enough pull from there? For me, yes, yes, yes. @jlear was devilish enough to stomp on it without forewarning me as we drove around, and for the first time in a long while, I felt like your typical newbie who's never rode in a performance Tesla before. I found myself chuckling out loud like a 10 year old little school boy... it was that good of a surprise every time he punched it. Without raw benchmarks in hand, this LR feels like a P90D to me while in Insane Mode, without any of the drawbacks like SoC dependencies. And that is without even trying Launch Mode yet. So yeah, bet your bottom dollar you can still do the acceleration party trick surprise in this bad boy. Tesla may call this the LR, but I consider it a "Performance Model S LR".

Does the car handle and ride significantly better? Much like the 2019/2020 Ravens, the adaptive suspension is much more forgiving on the bumps, but the 2021 refresh feels even better on the turns and at high-speed straightaways than what I remember on the Ravens. Someone else here said they were able to get a 2021 on a lift and said the suspension is all new, and I believe it. I was going to put on aftermarket 20" rims similar to my current Model S to smooth out the ride and quiet the ride a tad, but I might just go with 21" aftermarket rims after this ride. Btw, road noise is much improved with the double paned glass, but I wouldn't say it is as quiet as a Lexus. But it is certainly better, just like previous Model S builds have gotten a little quieter with each passing year. I'm sure someone will do some sound level tests to measure actual differences in decibels. As for motor whine, the only time I could really hear it was when he pounded on the accelerator. Otherwise, I didn't notice it.

Thanks for the detailed write up. I hope you are able to get some draggy runs with someone local.

This is the best review

Reactions: Gaskinse and cwanja
Yea, I think they drove two hours to get it. Sucks. But it’s nothing they cannot fix. So much for that PPF.
the post he did was so vague, would be interesting to see what he meant by his post. but you don't know for sure, or are you with him? how's bout let @MattCharleston chime in on his own response? :D

• Funny
Reactions: cwanja
3A52DC3F-B287-45AE-83CF-C9E22393EA9A.jpeg

Picked up my car a few hours ago, first time Tesla owner, a few quick observations:
-pick up at SC was super easy, app and key setup was smooth, was out of there in @15min
-mine was 1 of 2 model S’s being delivered today, or at least this afternoon
-fit and finish was great other than three minor things: left and right front wheel well seam where body panel meets the bumper flair out just a smidge, the right passenger interior trip was misaligned (oddly enough the left interior passenger trim was fine)
-navigating the car settings/menus was intuitive and quick
-didn’t realize you need to turn on all the auto navigating assists in the menus, as well as all the interior lighting
-yoke was great, easy to adjust to and seemed smaller in real life vs huge in the pictures
-man I suck at one pedal driving, looking forward to getting smoother
-interior dash of car was surprisingly dusty/dirty, rest of the car was clear. This was either a rushed detail, or maybe a rail yard car;)
-great driver visibility. Coming from a 14 old Lexus ES 350, wasn’t sure if if I was going to have blind spots due to pillars, hatch etc. this was not the case at all
-black interior and ebony look great. Everything is much darker in person
-menus and UI very responsive

Overall absolutely in love with this car. Looks much more aggressive in real life vs. the pics. Normally I get buyers remorse on big ticket spends, but not this car. What an absolute joy. I can see myself smiling every time I get in it.

Good luck to those waiting on delivery dates and VINs, hang in there!

the post he did was so vague, would be interesting to see what he meant by his post. but you don't know for sure, or are you with him? how's bout let @MattCharleston chime in on his own response? :D

So my previous S came with paint imperfections. What I mean by this is paint defects underneath the clear coat. Very large and obvious ones (I have pics somewhere). This car looks to be defect free; however, the protection put on for shipping isn't enough. It has multiple chips in the front bumper and one on the hood. The car has 14 miles on it so I'm sure it's from shipping. These cars spend a lot of time on uncovered trucks (depending on your location) and I've seen many arrive without temporary PPF although to what extent that helps I'm not sure cause supposedly this one had it. They will repaint if I want. I'm going to try to touch up/wet sand with PPF folks in the morn.

View attachment 679973
Picked up my car a few hours ago, first time Tesla owner, a few quick observations:
-pick up at SC was super easy, app and key setup was smooth, was out of there in @15min
-mine was 1 of 2 model S’s being delivered today, or at least this afternoon
-fit and finish was great other than three minor things: left and right front wheel well seam where body panel meets the bumper flair out just a smidge, the right passenger interior trip was misaligned (oddly enough the left interior passenger trim was fine)
-navigating the car settings/menus was intuitive and quick
-didn’t realize you need to turn on all the auto navigating assists in the menus, as well as all the interior lighting
-yoke was great, easy to adjust to and seemed smaller in real life vs huge in the pictures
-man I suck at one pedal driving, looking forward to getting smoother
-interior dash of car was surprisingly dusty/dirty, rest of the car was clear. This was either a rushed detail, or maybe a rail yard car;)
-great driver visibility. Coming from a 14 old Lexus ES 350, wasn’t sure if if I was going to have blind spots due to pillars, hatch etc. this was not the case at all
-black interior and ebony look great. Everything is much darker in person
-menus and UI very responsive

Overall absolutely in love with this car. Looks much more aggressive in real life vs. the pics. Normally I get buyers remorse on big ticket spends, but not this car. What an absolute joy. I can see myself smiling every time I get in it.

Good luck to those waiting on delivery dates and VINs, hang in there!
Congratulations to all the EOQ babies!

I think @Sbaimo's silence means he got the car!😃 Congratulations brother!
You are correct. Unfortunately I am so unfamiliar
With ev and Tesla that I have spent the past 2
Hours going through settings. I drove it about 1 mile and needed to get back home for dinner that wife made earlier. I will start cruising around tomorrow and give it a good workout.
For now all I can say is the car is spectacular looking and I couldn’t be happier. The interior is also beautiful and comfortable Acceleration is mind blowing. I know the plaid blows it away but this car is everything I expected it to be. Going
To have a tough time sleeping tonight. Want to play with new toy. Xmas came early.
I really want to thank you all for the support you gave this cranky guy during the past few days of getting jerked around.

You are correct. Unfortunately I am so unfamiliar
With ev and Tesla that I have spent the past 2
Hours going through settings. I drove it about 1 mile and needed to get back home for dinner that wife made earlier. I will start cruising around tomorrow and give it a good workout.
For now all I can say is the car is spectacular looking and I couldn’t be happier. The interior is also beautiful and comfortable Acceleration is mind blowing. I know the plaid blows it away but this car is everything I expected it to be. Going
To have a tough time sleeping tonight. Want to play with new toy. Xmas came early.
I really want to thank you all for the support you gave this cranky guy during the past few days of getting jerked around.
Congratulations!

Thanks to MDK and his Vegas lead, Tesla found me a car in Marina Del Rey. Just parked it in my garage at 12:47 am.

Car looks perfect and 2 hour drive home was amazing. AP is much smoother and more confident, Yoke makes nags super easy to avoid. At least on the highway, the yoke is better. Turn signals will require practice. One click AP is great.

I have had an S85, P85, 3LR and drove my 3P to pick this car up so pretty familiar with all the options. Happy to answer questions or take any pictures and will get a 0-60 video tomorrow if others haven't by then. Anyone in Del Mar/Carmel Valley have a Draggy?.

A few questions I just saw, tires are 265 front, 295 rear. It comes with the 110 and 220 plugs.

LR/Black/Black/21 order FSD 5 minutes ago to avoid license fees.
ModelS.jpg