Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am just curious, but why do so many Tesla owners do PPF? I have mostly owned BMW and Mercedes and have never done that and have never read many people doing that on their forums. Is it due to the Tesla paint jobs? Don’t quiet understand what the point of it is and it definitely does not sound cheap. :)
I'm curious as well. Bought a limited edition sports car 4 years ago and apparently ceramic coating was supposed to be farrrrr better than wax. Now seems PPF is the latest and greatest. Perhaps someone might point out the pros and cons of all available as well as a guesstimate price range for each & MANY THANKS!!

Reactions: MEL-22
People have the perception that Tesla paint is soft and thin and they don't want rock chips or scratches. I think people are way too eager to "protect their investment" with it. I can understand if you live in an area where they put gravel or cinder on the road in the winters but for most ppl it's overkill.
Thx for that! I'm tempted to consider a diy ceramic coating, afraid however I might do more harm than good. Probably a bad idea on my part for even considering diy. Apparently lots of top notch product available at a reasonable price; key however is the application by one knowledgeable and NOT me. Comments PLEASE...

People have the perception that Tesla paint is soft and thin and they don't want rock chips or scratches. I think people are way too eager to "protect their investment" with it. I can understand if you live in an area where they put gravel or cinder on the road in the winters but for most ppl it's overkill.
It is NOT overkill. I’ve had PPF on my old Audi S5 and RS5 and it saved my cars from rock chips a lot (in Texas and California). I didn’t do it on my M3 and I got SO many rock chips it’s not even funny. Ceramic coating will NOT save your paint. PPF is nothing new it’s been out for over 10 years now, it’s just that it’s gotten a lot better over the years in terms of resistance to yellowing and they are self healing to a degree.

I am just curious, but why do so many Tesla owners do PPF? I have mostly owned BMW and Mercedes and have never done that and have never read many people doing that on their forums. Is it due to the Tesla paint jobs? Don’t quiet understand what the point of it is and it definitely does not sound cheap. :)
I'm curious as well. Bought a limited edition sports car 4 years ago and apparently ceramic coating was supposed to be farrrrr better than wax. Now seems PPF is the latest and greatest. Perhaps someone might point out the pros and cons of all available as well as a guesstimate price range for each & MANY THANKS!!
Refresh Model S Tint / PPF / Ceramic Photos & Info that is the thread you are probably after to get some context.

Ceramic coating is better than waxing. PPF is to protect the paint, where ceramic coating just makes it easier to clean. PPF + ceramic combines the two. There are some PPF materials that now have ceramic-like coatings to them where an additional ceramic coating is not needed over the PPF.

Refresh Model S Tint / PPF / Ceramic Photos & Info that is the thread you are probably after to get some context.

Ceramic coating is better than waxing. PPF is to protect the paint, where ceramic coating just makes it easier to clean. PPF + ceramic combines the two. There are some PPF materials that now have ceramic-like coatings to them where an additional ceramic coating is not needed over the PPF.
Thank you sir!!

Reactions: cwanja
Mr. cwanja: is it true Tesla changes to the next year VIN # "around" November? Any specific date?? Thx!!
should be October
Spot on @Aleks0404 - and it is not just if you take delivery in October. The car has to be manufactured in October. So likely the deliveries in the last week or two of October will be what you are looking for. And MF------ will change to NF------ in the VIN. I would start tracking VINs the last two weeks of September because you will want something higher then those to ensure a 2022 model.

Spot on @Aleks0404 - and it is not just if you take delivery in October. The car has to be manufactured in October. So likely the deliveries in the last week or two of October will be what you are looking for. And MF------ will change to NF------ in the VIN. I would start tracking VINs the last two weeks of September because you will want something higher then those to ensure a 2022 model.
Cool, thx!! With my EDD of 10/13 - 11/02, IF that holds, I "should" see "N"...

Cool, thx!! With my EDD of 10/13 - 11/02, IF that holds, I "should" see "N"...
Yeah, your probably safe in most parts of the country with a November early delivery at latest, maybe end of October at earliest to ensure car was made in October. I.e. Taking ~2 weeks to travel to you by rail and truck. My EDD is 11/11 - 12/1 so kind of hoping the 1/11 holds and its like a mid-October build.

Yeah, your probably safe in most parts of the country with a November early delivery at latest, maybe end of October at earliest to ensure car was made in October. I.e. Taking ~2 weeks to travel to you by rail and truck. My EDD is 11/11 - 12/1 so kind of hoping the 1/11 holds and its like a mid-October build.
As I previously posted, the new year VIN will be the 1st S AFTER me...

I am trying one of those products on my car, in the shop now. Stek DYNOshield PPF with embedded ceramic coating. It’ll be our 5th Tesla we have had with PPF. Will post photos and initial impressions once I get it back.

My RN1147 19" blue/black EDD was Sept, but now pushed back to November 1-21. I will likely wait for a 2022 model.
That stinks. Based on what you and others outside the west coast have reported, it seems we are at the point where Tesla has shifted focus to EOQ deliveries and knows whether it can deliver cars to the midwest and beyond before EOQ. Anything made from now on that can be delivered is probably only being delivered to the west coast so they can juice the EOQ sales number.

My initial EDD date has been slowly drifting later but stays locked in on September 30 as the end date so I will either get a car at the end of September or presumably sometime in December at the end of Q4. I hate that Tesla shifts deliveries based on EOQ delivery timelines but it is what it is.

Musk said this would be the craziest month ever for deliveries so at least you won't end up with a car that gets pushed out the factory with parts falling off of it (well more than usual) to meet a record breaking delivery target.

Good luck.

Model S LR/ MS, black, no FSD, 19" wheels, ordered May 1, RN1148

I don’t know that many do get PPF. What you see on this forum is small sample of the overall Tesla ownership group, and this group is far more enthusiastic about their MS than the average bear. My personal experience is I put over 140,000 miles on my 2015 MS and it looked almost like new when I sold it (prematurely as it turns out). So no PPF for me. Of course where you live and how you drive will make a huge difference on the value proposition for it.

Hmmmmmm; I feel strongly that few to none at Tesla are aware of the game plan. I know, stupid statement; we all strongly suspect a game plan does not exist, especially at logistics!

Correct me if I am wrong - in [very] recent past, a BLANK is very temporary which turns positive for most. Perhaps, just perhaps, they might just be sorting out a shipment to mid to south Florida for us. Having waited what likely seems to be just shy of 1 year from order to delivery, I would NOT mind a slight pushback from today's EDD if that "might" mean a '22 VIN. Might not help much going forward but cannot hurt! Will be interesting...
I'm hoping for your optimism... :)

Reactions: feixingyuan
Musk said this would be the craziest month ever for deliveries so at least you won't end up with a car that gets pushed out the factory with parts falling off of it (well more than usual) to meet a record breaking delivery target.
I've got a feeling, that Musk will invent a new term for 'crazy' to describe the next time this happens. Words still eligible include:
  • bonkers
  • psychotic
  • mental
  • polka-dot
In a few years, we'll just call it 'normal'.