Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know everyone’s situation is different but I am going from a 2011 BMW 335 coupe to this model S LR. I’m a guy in my 40’s and my annual insurance went from $1600 to $5000!!!! Is that ballpark what others are paying?
Something is not right about that. Definitely check elsewhere. I am around $2,000 per year, and think that is high.
I'm an old dude in his 50s still waiting for my S. The Yoke is one of my biggest concerns too in large part because (as clearly implied from the question), I have 3 decades of driving experience with a round wheel and stalks. Lot of muscle memory and no young teachable muscles or neurons left in the tank.

If I had patience, I would have waited. I still go to the mall often (my wife finally figured out why I started tagging along with her while shopping so much) in the off chance they will have a demo car to try out but obviously no luck there.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Hopefully, it will not bother me or I'll get used to it or find a 3p round wheel (TSportline?). Lot of money to spend otherwise. Maybe this is why my son recently picked an apartment whose garage has a line of car chargers. He's probably hoping I'll give up (like I did with FPS shooters about when he went to Middle School) and he'll end up with the Model S.
Being a total techie, I am looking forward to the yoke, even if poorly designed. I placed some red coflex tape on the top half of my wheel, I find that I can get used to not having that well enough, and I do a lot of city driving and backing into parking spots. I spin that wheel around A LOT. The only thing I will really miss is that I tend to lift myself out of the car by grabbing onto the top of the wheel. That's when my hand hits that red tape, pretty much every time. There is no "Oh s**t" bar on the A-pillar like there is on many other cars, which would make getting out of the car easier. Yep, I am an old dude in his 50's as well!
Of all the changes the yoke brings, I am most annoyed by how they moved the horn from the center to a stupid little button. That makes no sense. I get that Elon wants to change the whole wheel paradigm, but this was just not thought out well.

Being a total techie, I am looking forward to the yoke, even if poorly designed. I placed some red coflex tape on the top half of my wheel, I find that I can get used to not having that well enough, and I do a lot of city driving and backing into parking spots. I spin that wheel around A LOT. The only thing I will really miss is that I tend to lift myself out of the car by grabbing onto the top of the wheel. That's when my hand hits that red tape, pretty much every time. There is no "Oh s**t" bar on the A-pillar like there is on many other cars, which would make getting out of the car easier. Yep, I am an old dude in his 50's as well!
Of all the changes the yoke brings, I am most annoyed by how they moved the horn from the center to a stupid little button. That makes no sense. I get that Elon wants to change the whole wheel paradigm, but this was just not thought out well.
I'm a techie too (always have been an earlier adopter) which is the reason I was waiting on a refreshed Model S instead of joining all my pals with performance ICE cars.

I like the modern look of the Yoke (which is probably why it is in so many concept cars) but still worry about how it will be to actually drive. While I am worried about the yoke and the no stalks, I understand what Tesla was going for here.

However, I agree with you that moving the horn to a button makes absolutely no sense. In an emergency, you don't have time to find the horn button. Easier to just punch the middle of the wheel though if you can cover the entire right side of the wheel and do the same thing, I guess that works but there was no reason to change the horn (unless the worm is really a feature).

Anyone else getting the following on the page for the S reservation? I also see it on the account page for my 3.

Access Denied​

You don't have permission to access "http://auth.tesla.com/oauth2/v1/authorize?" on this server.
Reference #18.92822c17.1631900704.47bfccb

This happens for me preiodically when I'm on the VPN. Not sure if that's really the reason but maybe it'll work for you.

Box says weather tech. I’ll look when I get home.
Actually your right, box does say WeatherTech! ;-) Well, they will do a bit, definitely recommend the floor liners when they do come out - those are the best from weathertech. From what I hear, the front seat areas are the same so could technically probably get them from WT. But the back seat differs a bit, and the other 3 (frunk, trunk, and trunk cargo) are all very different so have to wait on those.

Reactions: Pdubs
It happened!!!

Woke up to the same EDD I fell asleep with. Sep 11-21.

Oh, you thought it was gonna be a VIN, huh. So did I, dude… So did I.
I religiously check my account every day. Today my dashboard looked different so I searched high and low. No VIN. EDD Sept 22-30 for several weeks now. My financing offer expired so I had to reapply, and my delivery location changed-but that's progress, right? .....I have hiigghhh hopes!

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
Or you could attach a suicide knob. It's a thing. Look it up.
Yes, that was a common aftermarket item in vintage cars such as mine. It proved very helpful, especially if no power steering. With the ease of movement of current steering, it is no longer necessary. I find that if I gently hold onto just one part of the wheel, I can easily spin it around, and exactly how I am practicing now before my yoke MS arrives

The only thing I will really miss is that I tend to lift myself out of the car by grabbing onto the top of the wheel. That's when my hand hits that red tape, pretty much every time. There is no "Oh s**t" bar on the A-pillar like there is on many other cars, which would make getting out of the car easier. Yep, I am an old dude in his 50's as well!
I'm thinking deeply about this, since I do it too (also in 50s).
Plan A: lose 20 lbs, so I don't grab the wheel;​
Plan B: always cock the yoke/wheel at an angle, so I have a dependable bar;​
Plan C: Park on a 45º incline so I just fall out of the car.​

Maybe they’re getting EOQ sorted out and now have a better idea of production for next quarter?

tumblr_83ada9f96c7297c947afbaffbd5ff334_58ea4018_500.gif

I'm a techie too (always have been an earlier adopter) which is the reason I was waiting on a refreshed Model S instead of joining all my pals with performance ICE cars.

I like the modern look of the Yoke (which is probably why it is in so many concept cars) but still worry about how it will be to actually drive. While I am worried about the yoke and the no stalks, I understand what Tesla was going for here.

However, I agree with you that moving the horn to a button makes absolutely no sense. In an emergency, you don't have time to find the horn button. Easier to just punch the middle of the wheel though if you can cover the entire right side of the wheel and do the same thing, I guess that works but there was no reason to change the horn (unless the worm is really a feature).
I don't have the yoke yet, but from what I'm hearing about the problems with it, it looks like it's a matter of adaptation. When you're learning a new skill, let's go with flying, it's never a good idea to have more than one new variable at a time. I'm in the camp of driving is more dangerous than flying. Flying is 3D while driving is very 2D/lineal. That said, if it's a problem, find an open area, empty parking lot maybe. Drive the car and simulate situations you'd run into while on the road. Hit the horn. Practice tight turns, backing up. Get used to the turn signals. Instead of moving your fingers to move a lever, you're moving your thumb to push a button. Do these actions until it's not risky and becomes second nature. It just doesn't seem like rocket surgery.

I could end up eating my words, but I'm betting I don't.

My EDD just popped back up for 12/1-12/21. Was 12/8-12/28, then blank for about 10 days.. now back to December. Maybe they’re getting EOQ sorted out and now have a better idea of production for next quarter?

My MSM, cream, 19, FSD was blank for almost 3 weeks but was originally 12/10-12/30 not it's 12/19-01/08. Will be picking up in SoCal but still better than my original April estimate lol

I don't have the yoke yet, but from what I'm hearing about the problems with it, it looks like it's a matter of adaptation. When you're learning a new skill, let's go with flying, it's never a good idea to have more than one new variable at a time. I'm in the camp of driving is more dangerous than flying. Flying is 3D while driving is very 2D/lineal. That said, if it's a problem, find an open area, empty parking lot maybe. Drive the car and simulate situations you'd run into while on the road. Hit the horn. Practice tight turns, backing up. Get used to the turn signals. Instead of moving your fingers to move a lever, you're moving your thumb to push a button. Do these actions until it's not risky and becomes second nature. It just doesn't seem like rocket surgery.

I could end up eating my words, but I'm betting I don't.
I'm in your boat with this one. well said.

Reactions: GrnSqrl and Pdubs
I religiously check my account every day. Today my dashboard looked different so I searched high and low. No VIN. EDD Sept 22-30 for several weeks now. My financing offer expired so I had to reapply, and my delivery location changed-but that's progress, right? .....I have hiigghhh hopes!
I think 9/22-9/30 is a common date for a lot of us in CA. Both my father and I have been stuck with that range for a while now and still no VIN