Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mainly used my phone for music, text, voice, and navigation. I was able to do that all through the tesla screen. It wasn't like apple car play but it worked. Text messages pop up on my screen and I just voice to text most of the time. There are probably other options than suction mounts but I had one already from my old car.
You can use phone navigation through the Tesla screen?

VINtastic Fabulicious!!

I received my VIN on the previous Thursday morning (9/16) and I now have a delivery appointment on 9/28. It really took me by surprise! Every prior communication with Tesla had left me with the impression that delivery was unlikely until mid October at the earliest. I can't believe it is really happening...

A couple of relatively minor annoyances:

According to the SA I most recently spoke with FSD can only be added (or removed) during a certain undefined period after the initial order. Past that period if you add/remove FSD you're on the hook for any model-wide price increases that have occurred since the original order date. I think the grace period for adding/removing FSD without penalty ends when the order is soft matched for manufacturing. If the add/remove FSD button is visible on the reservation page then (I think) you can make changes without having to worry about price increases. I wanted to remove FSD prior to delivery to save on property taxes, etc. And I wasn't sure if I really wanted FSD to begin with. I initially only added FSD because of all the noise in the forums about how higher margin orders were being filled sooner. Just recently I tried to add a referral link and was told that I can't do that either at this point. I may double check on that.

Moving on:

Most of you probably won't understand this but I'm actually a little nervous about taking delivery. For most of the last 6+ months the idea of actually getting the Model S didn't feel especially real; more like that vague thought of kayaking in Chile. I was going to do it sometime (maybe) but not today. So I didn't invest all that much time in researching the practicalities of having the MS as my sole vehicle. Oops.

This is my first Tesla and my first EV. It is also my first sedan since the early '90s. For the last few years my vehicle of choice has been a wagon (space with enough pace). My leisure activities typically involve a fair amount of wet and/or muddy gear (frequently with a wet and/or muddy dog). Most of that gear is mounted on roof racks (but not the dog). I knew that Tesla offered a branded roof rack for the S, and therefore I stupidly assumed that this meant that I could adapt at least one of the three sets of 3rd party roof racks that I have accumulated over the years. But No. From my belated further research on the subject it appears that, since Tesla went to a fully glass roof, only Tesla's own roof rack will work. That wouldn't be that bad if Tesla's roof rack was more functional and less likely to damage the roof glass during installation. Apparently even Tesla service staff have had difficulty installing the roof rack without causing damage. Misaligned roof glass seems to be the culprit behind potential installation difficulties. No, a hitch-mount rack won't work for all my needs. I need the roof rack for carrying kayaks.

This is my first vehicle purchase where there is not a local factory dealer (or SC). The nearest service center to my home is about 2.5 hrs away. The idea of having to make frequent visits to the SC to correct build issues or rack installation damage fills me with anxiety. Due to the SC's distance from me this is the first new vehicle purchase where I have felt the need to go through a long checklist of potential problems before taking delivery.

The ground clearance (or lack thereof) is also a potential cause of concern for me due to both the steep transition of my driveway and the mildly rough nature of some of the places where I go. I think the pre-refresh MS had a max ground clearance of 6.9" which is fine for what I need. But according to the new owners manual the refresh MS maxes out at 6.1". I don't know if that will be quite adequate. I suppose I will find out shortly.

Thus my alternating excitement and trepidation at thought of actually owning a new MS.

It all feels a little bit like when I was a senior in HS and, in a moment of insanity, I asked the hot biker chic in our senior class to the prom. I had zero expectation that she would agree to go with me. But, stupefyingly, she said 'yes' and I had absolutely no idea what I was supposed to do (or say) next...

Please don't bother telling me that the MS is not for vehicle me or that my 1st world concerns don't matter, etc., etc., etc. If anyone has any insight on roof racks for the MS or usable ground clearance please share. Thanks.

Question for anyone who has already taken delivery: Is there a way to mount your phone to a phone holder that attaches to an air-vent in the car? This is with the intention of using Waze in an easily visible phone in the line of sight, as opposed to placing the phone on the wireless charger in the center console. I am unable to infer this from stock photos. Any pictures of your air vents would be much appreciated! Thanks.

there isn't normal vent slits I use a suction mount in my model 3 but ended up not needing it after getting used to the tesla screen connecting to my iPhone
You can also use Waze for Tesla. Unfortunately, it crashes my center screen often, though others have not had this issue. I am hoping this is better with the refresh and will certainly try it again.
As far as mounts go, I got this beauty for my wife's M3. It attaches to the new style vents, though I do not know if the MS refresh is exactly the same. I actually did not use the cradle with it, and instead attached a magsafe charger, running the cable to the 12V cigarette adapter. an iPhone12 or 13 snaps right to it and offers another charging spot if you need it.
1632179373887.png

VINtastic Fabulicious!!

I received my VIN on the previous Thursday morning (9/16) and I now have a delivery appointment on 9/28. It really took me by surprise! Every prior communication with Tesla had left me with the impression that delivery was unlikely until mid October at the earliest. I can't believe it is really happening...

According to the SA I most recently spoke with FSD can only be added (or removed) during a certain undefined period after the initial order. Past that period if you add/remove FSD you're on the hook for any model-wide price increases that have occurred since the original order date. I think the grace period for adding/removing FSD without penalty ends when the order is soft matched for manufacturing. If the add/remove FSD button is visible on the reservation page then (I think) you can make changes without having to worry about price increases. I wanted to remove FSD prior to delivery to save on property taxes, etc. And I wasn't sure if I really wanted FSD to begin with. I initially only added FSD because of all the noise in the forums about how higher margin orders were being filled sooner. Just recently I tried to add a referral link and was told that I can't do that either at this point. I may double check on that.

Moving on:

Most of you probably won't understand this but I'm actually a little nervous about taking delivery. For most of the last 6+ months the idea of actually getting the Model S didn't feel especially real; more like that vague thought of kayaking in Chile. I was going to do it sometime (maybe) but not today. So I didn't invest all that much time in researching the practicalities of having the MS as my sole vehicle. Oops.

This is my first Tesla and my first EV. It is also my first sedan since the early '90s. For the last few years my vehicle of choice has been a wagon (space with enough pace). My leisure activities typically involve a fair amount of wet and/or muddy gear (frequently with a wet and/or muddy dog). Most of that gear is mounted on roof racks (but not the dog). I knew that Tesla offered a branded roof rack for the S, and therefore I stupidly assumed that this meant that I could adapt at least one of the three sets of 3rd party roof racks that I have accumulated over the years. But No. From my belated further research on the subject it appears that, since Tesla went to a fully glass roof, only Tesla's own roof rack will work. That wouldn't be that bad if Tesla's roof rack was more functional and less likely to damage the roof glass during installation. Apparently even Tesla service staff have had difficulty installing the roof rack without causing damage. Misaligned roof glass seems to be the culprit behind potential installation difficulties. No, a hitch-mount rack won't work for all my needs. I need the roof rack for carrying kayaks.

This is my first vehicle purchase where there is not a local factory dealer (or SC). The nearest service center to my home is about 2.5 hrs away. The idea of having to make frequent visits to the SC to correct build issues or rack installation damage fills me with anxiety. Due to the SC's distance from me this is the first new vehicle purchase where I have felt the need to go through a long checklist of potential problems before taking delivery.

The ground clearance (or lack thereof) is also a potential cause of concern for me due to both the steep transition of my driveway and the mildly rough nature of some of the places where I go. I think the pre-refresh MS had a max ground clearance of 6.9" which is fine for what I need. But according to the new owners manual the refresh MS maxes out at 6.1". I don't know if that will be quite adequate. I suppose I will find out shortly.

Thus my alternating excitement and trepidation at thought of actually owning a new MS.

It all feels a little bit like when I was a senior in HS and, in a moment of insanity, I asked the hot biker chic in our senior class to the prom. I had zero expectation that she would agree to go with me. But, stupefyingly, she said 'yes' and I had absolutely no idea what I was supposed to do (or say) next...

Please don't bother telling me that the MS is not for vehicle me or that my 1st world concerns don't matter, etc., etc., etc. If anyone has any insight on roof racks for the MS or usable ground clearance please share. Thanks.
OK, lots to go over here, but let me try to alleviate your fears. And, if anyone tells you that this car is not for you, screw them. Most of us are pretty cool, and reserve such statements for people who just complain about everything.

• Roof rack: I changed to Seasucker. used it a few times on my current MS and it held up beautifully. Kayaks are a bit heavier than skis though. I really can't comment on that.
  • As far as the numerous checklists floating around here, that is because most of us are obsessively compulsive nutjobs. That's just how we roll. The chance of you needing frequent visits to a SC is very unlikely. I had a cracked glass roof upon delivery of my prior MS, and had to go back, but in 3 years, that was the only time. I had two prior MS's as well, and rarely had to go in.
  • Ground clearance? Heck, you came to the right place! Just set your suspension for HIgh, and your car will remember this based on location and will automatically raise the car when you get home (you may need to wait a few seconds for it to actually raise though.)

My bad forgot to include that I use the tesla navigation which was good enough for me. Tesla had the apps I needed I would expect it to be slightly different or more apps for the model S.
Since I’ve only had my car a day I haven’t has a chance to figure it out, but do you know how to get superchargers to show up on the navigation screen? And more importantly, the usage level at each? My old MS had superchargers shown as a default as well as the number of stalls and how many were occupied and open. Can’t figure out hot to get that info with this one.

Thanks for the photo!

Now I’m just wondering if that wheel is one glossy black powder coat away from looking pretty good….

I think I could get a good glossy black powder coat for $500 - 600 for the set (to go with my Blk/Blk MS LR delivery in October) and maybe just use the aero caps when range is relevant.

Thoughts?

I’m planning on powder coating my 19” wheels satin black this Friday after I take delivery. I’ll post pics when I get the wheels back.

My EDD has been 9/24-9/30 for a week (before it was 9/26-/9/30 and prior to that mid October). I haven't received a VIN and redid my financing last Saturday when the date changed. No VIN. I decided to email an SA @ our local service center to ask if he could check to see if these dates were accurate. He replied "I've reviewed your account and based on the tentative build times, it appears that you'll be taking delivery of your Model S in Mid-Late November. I've been seeing customer accounts updating with different delivery ranges for the last couple of days. I'll be sure to update you if I see any further movement."

So what does that really mean? I can see what my EDD says and I see others receiving VINs around the same time I ordered and picking up at the end of month ... Do they even really know?????
I had almost the same thing happen, but dates are now 9/21-9/30. No VIN, redid financing and my pick up location changed. Unless I'm looking at the wrong calendar, the clock should start tomorrow. LMFAO. I ordered mine 4/4/21. MS LR white/black/19"

Reactions: Ginag1127
VINtastic Fabulicious!!

Moving on:

I transport Kayaks with my S and have used both Seasucker racks which use suction cups (very secure despite concerns that some may have), but latterly have been using a kayak trailer with a hitch. I have a refresh S on order and will fit a hitch to that one too when the parts are available. I’m sure I’ll get lots of comments concerned about the security of the Seasucker rack and weight but personally I never had a problem. I only switched to a trailer as it’s far easier to load and tow at speed.

Attachments

• 95B6A4CF-6A73-4C02-86B9-5E6943FD4F67.jpeg
    95B6A4CF-6A73-4C02-86B9-5E6943FD4F67.jpeg
    652.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 58793D22-B128-4C38-8081-B502188F373E.jpeg
    58793D22-B128-4C38-8081-B502188F373E.jpeg
    536 KB · Views: 50
But a stupid hassle nonetheless. Ohio-based here, and I am expecting delivery mid Oct. I will not accept summer tires going into winter.
Definitely worth asking the SA about making sure you can get all-season tires then, when you get your delivery confirmation. Yeah, I'd prefer to not deal with this issue of course, but in the grand scheme of things I'll deal with this over continued delays in getting the car.
Same, I got my SA to put in an email that I would get AS tires just so I have it. No way I am driving 2.5 hours (northern Ohio to Columbus) to get a car in December (eta) and driving back with any snow on the roads and summers. It may not help to have her email, but I have pinned it just in case.
To add: This was the day I placed my order that she confirmed that for me.
I got my SA to put it in a text. They will try to have them on before my delivery on Wednesday. Doubt the AS tires will be there but I'll keep pressing the issue to make sure they switch them even if not at delivery.

VINtastic Fabulicious!!

Moving on:

You got me to pull the plug on FSD and took a chance and cancelled it. Did not see my price go up. That "Before Soft Match" seems to make more sense now.

I presume I can always add it back after I take delivery if needed hoping it wont go up above $10K before Nov. Plus, from what I read it is fun to drive and autopilot is enough for now. I ordered it thinking I will keep the car for a long time which is still the case but took a chance. Thinking of putting some of the $10K on PPF et al.

Reactions: Leojsayta
You can also use Waze for Tesla. Unfortunately, it crashes my center screen often, though others have not had this issue. I am hoping this is better with the refresh and will certainly try it again.
As far as mounts go, I got this beauty for my wife's M3. It attaches to the new style vents, though I do not know if the MS refresh is exactly the same. I actually did not use the cradle with it, and instead attached a magsafe charger, running the cable to the 12V cigarette adapter. an iPhone12 or 13 snaps right to it and offers another charging spot if you need it.
View attachment 712095
I am no mechanic or auto-inclined, but I do not think the vents match exactly. If anything, see if you can find a comparable option from Amazon with Prime (if you have it) for easy returns. Here are the parts:

Model S
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.40.15 PM.png

Model 3
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.40.20 PM.png

As far as the numerous checklists floating around here, that is because most of us are obsessively compulsive nutjobs.
Slowly raises their hand.
Ground clearance? Heck, you came to the right place! Just set your suspension for HIgh, and your car will remember this based on location and will automatically raise the car when you get home (you may need to wait a few seconds for it to actually raise though.)
They auto-suspension and geolocation feature is one of the best damn thing. Have a high driveway at my in-laws, set it once and never worry about it again. Car notifies me that it is raising the suspension before the u-turn into their driveway. Simple. Easy. Mindless.