Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting online quotes of $400+/month for all major auto insurance companies (Geico, Progressive, Libery Mutual) with minimum packages for my upcoming 2022 MS LR. This is my first ever car purchase, I have held a DL for more than 5 years, never had any accidents or tickets. Not sure why the the insurance premiums are so high. Has anyone had similar experience? What was your solution, did you had to call them, negotiate?

Also, if this has already been answered before, please share the link, that'll be helpful.

Thanks
The brief answer is insurance depends on the specific market and the risk pool of insurers they insure and the other variables considered for each insurer such as their age, claim history, number of vehicles insured, any bundling of insurance such as home owner's and /umbrella policy. Some insurers like USAA are limited to only military members and the numbers won't have any bearing on what you are looking for. So, it is difficult to get an absolute answer from here. Your local Tesla Owner's club members for Boston and immediate vicinity area may have numbers for a specific insurer closer to what you are looking for.
That said, in MD , when I bought my 2017 Tesla Model S and shopping for rates for a total of 3 cars registered under my name bundling with home owners's insurance and an umbrella policy I found out that insurance for MS in 2017 in MD was close to $1600 a year in spite of many yrs of driving experience and no accidents. The next year for my 2018 MS it went up to $1800 per year without any claim history. I was already told by State Farm ( SF was the cheapest for my bundling in 2017 compared to GEICO, Progressive, etc etc) that for my 2022 MS my rate will be easily $2000 this year. Go figure! I was told Teslas cost a lot to insure because of the sensors, build, and parts availability. I think I will pay what they ask for all three cars and my bundled policy in my area where insurance is higher.

I am getting online quotes of $400+/month for all major auto insurance companies (Geico, Progressive, Libery Mutual) with minimum packages for my upcoming 2022 MS LR. This is my first ever car purchase, I have held a DL for more than 5 years, never had any accidents or tickets. Not sure why the the insurance premiums are so high. Has anyone had similar experience? What was your solution, did you had to call them, negotiate?

Also, if this has already been answered before, please share the link, that'll be helpful.

Thanks
I have a quote of $88 a month from Tesla insurance. However I am an old retired guy with a spotless record. I can't wait for Tesla insurance to expand to more states. It will force the others to have more competitive rates for Teslas.

I have a quote of $88 a month from Tesla insurance. However I am an old retired guy with a spotless record. I can't wait for Tesla insurance to expand to more states. It will force the others to have more competitive rates for Teslas.
Curious - I have USAA and am pretty darn happy with the rates. Has anyone here made a claim with Tesla insurance and had good service. I can say I have had claims in years past with USAA and they are great at their claims handling.

The brief answer is insurance depends on the specific market and the risk pool of insurers they insure and the other variables considered for each insurer such as their age, claim history, number of vehicles insured, any bundling of insurance such as home owner's and /umbrella policy. Some insurers like USAA are limited to only military members and the numbers won't have any bearing on what you are looking for. So, it is difficult to get an absolute answer from here. Your local Tesla Owner's club members for Boston and immediate vicinity area may have numbers for a specific insurer closer to what you are looking for.
That said, in MD , when I bought my 2017 Tesla Model S and shopping for rates for a total of 3 cars registered under my name bundling with home owners's insurance and an umbrella policy I found out that insurance for MS in 2017 in MD was close to $1600 a year in spite of many yrs of driving experience and no accidents. The next year for my 2018 MS it went up to $1800 per year without any claim history. I was already told by State Farm ( SF was the cheapest for my bundling in 2017 compared to GEICO, Progressive, etc etc) that for my 2022 MS my rate will be easily $2000 this year. Go figure! I was told Teslas cost a lot to insure because of the sensors, build, and parts availability. I think I will pay what they ask for all three cars and my bundled policy in my area where insurance is higher.
Also in MD I switched to Travelers 3 years ago. Also umbrella, home and 2 cars, a model S and a VW. To my surprise total for both cars 1800. Down to 1600 last year. However, insurance industry are the original major data miners. They have an amazing amount of information on us. Before my 1600 change, they quoted an increase to 2600 for no apparent reason. When I inquired it turns out that other people living in your home, drivers or not and even when not related, do affect your insurance. A niece had lived with me driving her own car for a number of years. However, when they included this data point she had already moved out and so my insurance went down instead when I corrected this.

Last edited:

Thanks
That seems ridiculous. Has anyone compared the Tesla rates to typical insurance companies? (I know it is only available is certain states)

Reactions: rdmdriving
I’m sorry man! It does not make any sense at all, have you tried talking to the folks in person at Washington Square? Most of them are very helpful (especially Dan and Sherri). I wish I could help you out if you want their contact info DM me.
I’ve talked to several at Washington Square and John’s Landing. They’ve all been very nice and helpful, as much as they can. The latest is the delay is being caused by supply chain issues.
No reason to be sorry. From the posts in this thread and others, it’s obvious I’m not alone. It’ll be a golden day when someone figures out how Tesla prioritizes deliveries. But I appreciate the kind thoughts.

I live in MA, and Tesla insurance isn't available yet in this state. Also, do first time auto buyers typically have such high insurance rates?
As I posted above, yes, it could be higher. it depends on the local insurance market, risk, the insurer's age, and whether a male. I know someone 24yo male, for the first car, paying a higher rate for a basic Honda. Not unheard of.

As an addendum to the above post.
Under my multiple car and home bundle my quote was about $160 per month to add the MSLR. So this will be a no-brainer should I in fact ever get the car.
I also asked how much a Plaid would cost to insure, but they didn't have a dummy VIN to plug into the system. I asked because when March rolls around I'll need a vehicle. I think if I were to order the Plaid now, I'd have it in a month.
Yes, I'm getting ready to give up on the MSLR.

When I ordered my car in July, I specified that I would have a trade in. I got a notice every month for a couple of months asking me to update the mileage. Then my trade in disappeared from my account. With my EDD approaching, I called Tesla support today and asked about that. They said that they removed it to eliminate the monthly homework. They also said that given my current EDD, Feb 11th to 25th, now would be a good time to enable the trade in again and they did so. Looks like I'll have to re-enter all the information about my old car. That's okay though, because they also said that I would almost certainly have my car within 30 days. Take it cum grano salis, but that's encouraging!

Last edited:
When I ordered my car in July, I specified that I would have a trade in. I got a notice every month for a couple of months asking me to update the mileage. Then my trade in disappeared from my account. With my EDD approaching, I called Tesla support today and asked about that. They said that they removed it to eliminate the monthly homework. They also said that given my current EDD, July 11th to 25th, now would be a good time to enable the trade in again and they did so. Looks like I'll have to re-enter all the information about my old car. That's okay though, because they also said that I would almost certainly have my car within 30 days. Take it cum grano salis, but that's encouraging!
Good idea. Of course you meant Feb 11-25, right?

Reactions: rdmdriving
Curious - I have USAA and am pretty darn happy with the rates. Has anyone here made a claim with Tesla insurance and had good service. I can say I have had claims in years past with USAA and they are great at their claims handling.
I do all my banking with USAA, but will never get car insurance again with USAA. Had a terrible experience on a total loss accident - USAA low balled me to the point I had to hire a 3rd party arbitrator to get a fair claim amount from them. And the 3rd party arbitrator said my case was the last straw - they wouldn't arbitrate USAA claims any more because of their despicable practices of giving the run around, passing from one person to another who "knows nothing about the claim", etc. When it was finally over I told USAA I would happily tell everyone I could about what a terrible company they are for car insurance.

Also in MD I switched to Travelers 3 years ago. Also umbrella, home and 2 cars, a model S and a VW. To my surprise total for both cars 1800. Down to 1600 last year. However, insurance industry are the original major data miners. They have an amazing amount of information on us. Before my 1600 change, they quoted an increase to 2600 for no apparent reason. When I inquired it turns out that other people living in your home, drivers or not and even when not related, do affect your insurance. A niece had lived with me driving her own car for a number of years. However, when they included this data point she had already moved out and so my insurance went down instead when I corrected this.
Yes, they do have lot of information. One of the reasons I didn't want to get the Safe Drive discount from SF. It was like Tesla's FSD safety score and it will score you how your turn is and how quickly you accelerate etc. The discount on the rate was not much for me to have them monitor every move my car makes. $1800 just for both cars for a year not including home owners and umbrella is not bad. After my daughter's Prius was recently ( a month ago) stolen and deemed total loss I did file a claim. Now I bought a 2022 Corolla with some additional options and registering under my name in MD as she is just 22 and works as an ES teacher in NC and just started. I did not want her to go thro a high insurance rate. So, that 2022 Toyota, my 2022 MSLR, and my Outback will increase just my auto premium to around $3k excluding the home and umbrella. Insurance rates are very high! As you mentioned, insurance companies want us to see if we paid attention to the rates and they won't volunteer that information.

Same thing for me - I had a date of Jan 30 - Feb 14, and now I'm Mar 15 - 30 as of this morning. Blue/White, 21, FSD, RN 1153. Good lord.

For your viewing pleasure, I've also been documenting/graphing this out - you can see (especially recently) how much they're toying with my emotions haha. It doesn't help that my delivery advisor has been completely MIA at this point now, so who knows when I'm getting the car at this point. I have a reservation for a Lucid Air too so we'll see if Lucid actually has a shot here...

1643651242020.png

Same thing for me - I had a date of Jan 30 - Feb 14, and now I'm Mar 15 - 30 as of this morning. Blue/White, 21, FSD, RN 1153. Good lord.

For your viewing pleasure, I've also been documenting/graphing this out - you can see (especially recently) how much they're toying with my emotions haha. It doesn't help that my delivery advisor has been completely MIA at this point now, so who knows when I'm getting the car at this point. I have a reservation for a Lucid Air too so we'll see if Lucid actually has a shot here...

View attachment 762602
I am curious why you are not getting a Plaid, since the price point for the Lucid is more in line with the Plaid. I would not think folks would cross shop the Long Range with the Lucid...