Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI - if trying to get insurance through Allstate, the VIN for the S pulls up as a Performance model. As a result the quote was likely higher than it should have been. So I asked the agent to submit it to corporate and when fixed, get me an accurate quote. I read somewhere else on this forum that some other company had it listed that way as well.

Reactions: gbailey
FYI - if trying to get insurance through Allstate, the VIN for the S pulls up as a Performance model. As a result the quote was likely higher than it should have been. So I asked the agent to submit it to corporate and when fixed, get me an accurate quote. I read somewhere else on this forum that some other company had it listed that way as well.
I just went through getting quotes from a bunch of insurance companies and consistent with what you're saying, Allstate was the highest for me.

Progressive was the lowest, so I went with them. For some reason I couldn't continue the quote online. With some of the other insurance companies (e.g. Nationwide) they only let me select Model 3 or Model Y in the online selector - maybe Model S is represented as a cheaper model in Progressive's system.

So far Progressive has been cheapest for me. Still waiting on a final quote from another carrier. It was low enough that I wasn't sure it was accurate. So I sent the agent my current coverage to make sure it matches. I will wait for final details and share if it significantly undercuts Progressive.

As an FYI with Progressive, if you switch states, you basically start over with any "benefits" you have earned. I had disappearing deductible and it was all reset to the start because I changed states. While not a great benefit, it was a decent one especially as I had been with them for a few years. So they just removed incentive to stay with them.

On another insurance related note, I have noticed some significant difference in quotes even when going with the same carrier. Let's take Progressive again as an example. I checked with a local agent for Progressive. I called the national number for Progressive. Comparing the quotes for the same coverage, calling the national number saved me about 1k a year on 2 Teslas for the exact same coverage.

Of course YMMV and other carriers may be different. This is just my data point so make of it what you want. One other thing to add, going from a $500 deductible to 1k didn't seem to make that much of a difference. It was something like $12 every 6 months on the Y and $17 on the S. Other vehicles I've seen a much bigger delta.

Also I've found that don't get your insurance the day or 2 before on your Tesla. Some carriers offer a really big discount if you "schedule' it a ways in advance (like a week) for the effective date. With Allstate it was almost a 10% discount. It got them almost as cheap as Progressive EVEN rating the LR as a Performance model. So maybe they'll end up being cheaper when they finally come back with it rated correctly.

Do VINs still show up early in source?
In my case, it was in source for a week. It didn’t show up “officially“ until the car arrived at the delivery center.

My source VIN was basically treated as official - the day it showed up in source, the SA from the delivery center texted me saying “you have a VIN!” and provided it to me by text as well.

Not typical of others from what I can tell, but that was my experience.

Incidentally, hoping for a delivery this afternoon if the inspection checks out. Otherwise next couple days… official delivery is Saturday but I want it sooner! (Also have my PPF dropoff on Saturday and want to at least drive it once or twice first!)

Last edited:
Reactions: chrisdh79
They will not, but you can make money on it on the open market. I sold my 2020 LR+ for $10K more than I paid, 1.5 years and 27K miles after I bought it.
Yes, Tesla has become a sore spot with trade ins, offering us about $30k less than what they were selling equivalent MS P's for; hard not to feel bent over with the experience. And they no longer match any Carmax offers either, which is just rude.

Where did you market/list your LR+ to find such a great sale experience? Please share!

Thanks!

I feel your pain about the Tesla offer. I've been shocked, and I do truly mean shocked, by what a wide variation of the offers I've received while shopping our MY LR to every relatively well known car buying outlet.

When I shopped the car I was considering trading in on the Y last year, Tesla actually had the best overall offer when I factored in sales tax savings. This time around, not so much.

When I finally sell the Y, I plan to post all the offers I received. I was pretty impressed by some of the offers. One was laughably bad, to the point they were about 12k off even the low end of average retail pricing and 7k off the worst wholesale price in the common guides. The one major player I am missing yet is Carmax. I haven't had time to go by them yet. My experience on our last car was overly impressive, they were behind 4 other of the bigger names and the Acura dealer right next door to them offered me 3k more for my car.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Yes, Tesla has become a sore spot with trade ins, offering us about $30k less than what they were selling equivalent MS P's for; hard not to feel bent over with the experience. And they no longer match any Carmax offers either, which is just rude.

Where did you market/list your LR+ to find such a great sale experience? Please share!

Thanks!
I listed it in Autotrader, which I have used many times. The experience was the worst I ever had now that they have a partnership with TRED. I don't want to derail this thread, but I will say this.

Do Not Use TRED services to "help" sell your car.

Thanks!
Don’t use autotrader. You will be bombarded with a bunch of fraudulent offers. I ended up listing it on facebook for no charge and had multiple legitimate offers and got more than 15K over what Tesla offered for my Model S trade in. Good luck!

While I am not a big fan of FB, I have to admit it has been a good source of leads on our MY LR that is up for sale. You can also track how many views you are getting too. You still get the random I'll give you 35k cash for your Tesla messages but so far most of the buyers seem a little better quality than Craigslist or some of the other sites I have it on.

I know it is easy to bash Tesla SAs and service as they are an easy target. I have to say the people I've dealt with so far locally about the delivery of my car seem to be understanding of my concerns and trying to adjust to my situation for delivery. So cautious kudos to them so far. Hopefully it will translate into a good/great delivery experience one week from today.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Need the experts to weigh-in, picked up my MSLR yesterday, not sure if the headlights are "new". This is a picture with the low beams on. Anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_3564.jpg
    IMG_3564.jpg
    634.3 KB · Views: 100
I was told they would take care of the transfer of your trade after you accepted delivery of your new car.

I would exhaust all my other options looking for another buyer than Tesla. I haven't heard anyone, though you could be an exception, where they couldn't get a much better deal seeing it to someone else.

This is my same config. Order: 4/16 RN 1148, MSM, black interior, arachnids. August, then blank, then august, etc. seems to switch every few days and stay blank for a couple of days, then goes back to august. Based in Cincinnati OH
I was told they would take care of the transfer of your trade after you accepted delivery of your new car.

I would exhaust all my other options looking for another buyer than Tesla. I haven't heard anyone, though you could be an exception, where they couldn't get a much better deal seeing it to someone else.
I actually did pretty good with my trade in offer from Tesla on my wife’s Cadillac ESV. Only a 1000 off from carvana, and I get to decrease my taxes on the new car

Reactions: Nealw98