Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another option is what I’ve always done. I have my electrician install a Nema 14-50 outlet and use the HPWC with a 14-50 pigtail he installed. Gives me the flexibility of an outlet and the speed of an HPWC without having to plug and unplug my cord. I can leave it in my car.
What size/draw breaker is the 14-50 on? Curious if this just limits you to 32a because if not, I may do this same thing.

What size/draw breaker is the 14-50 on? Curious if this just limits you to 32a because if not, I may do this same thing.
It’s on a 50a breaker, so the HPWC is limited to charging at 40a. Most of the time it charges at 38a. This photo is from a charge from 55% to 75% at home. It’s typical of all my home charges.

Attachments

• 161916B7-01C9-432B-A3C3-2CC5BFDADE2D.png
    161916B7-01C9-432B-A3C3-2CC5BFDADE2D.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: mikeymoves
used the standard AP on miles and miles of stop and go traffic on I-95 4th of july weekend. Traffic going from 0 to 45 and all in between. Rapidly. AP was set to 2 car length distance and it worked flawlessly. A benefit of AP (especially during a bright sunny day) in stop and go is that it doesnt get distracted by anything and is consistent in its following distance/braking/reaction.
Yeah, in AP it would have been no issue, but even in my jeep gladiator, it will sense a stopped vehicle in front of me and automatically stop. Even without adaptive cruise control on. (some times it annoys me as im planning to turn around them or something else and it abruptly brakes). I figured tesla would have the same.

Reactions: derevan007
Yeah, in AP it would have been no issue, but even in my jeep gladiator, it will sense a stopped vehicle in front of me and automatically stop. Even without adaptive cruise control on. (some times it annoys me as im planning to turn around them or something else and it abruptly brakes). I figured tesla would have the same.
Yeah even a base toyota rav4 will do that these days. A little disappointing that this $85k+ luxurious technological marvel lacks that basic safety feature.

Reactions: oktane
To get full/fastest charging for your MS, you'll need the charger installed on 60amp breaker with 240v. Electrician is not correct.

Another option is what I’ve always done. I have my electrician install a Nema 14-50 outlet and use the HPWC with a 14-50 pigtail he installed. Gives me the flexibility of an outlet and the speed of an HPWC without having to plug and unplug my cord. I can leave it in my car.
this is exactly the setup I have in my garage. It's perfect. the charging delivers about 28 miles per hour.

Hey nice, so you really just had to get the pigtail cord here and wire to the charger. Thinking I'll do this also since house has two Nema 14-50 outlets already.

Reactions: BruceR61
Yeah even a base toyota rav4 will do that these days. A little disappointing that this $85k+ luxurious technological marvel lacks that basic safety feature.
So was it off?
Automatic Emergency Braking Automatic Emergency Braking — a new Collision Avoidance Assist feature — is designed to automatically engage the brakes to reduce the impact of an unavoidable frontal collision. Automatic Emergency Braking will stop applying the brakes when you press the accelerator pedal, press the brake pedal, or sharply turn the steering wheel. Automatic Emergency Braking is enabled by default. You can temporarily disable this feature via the AUTOMATIC EMERGENCY BRAKING setting in Controls > Settings > Driver Assistance > COLLISION AVOIDANCE ASSIST. Automatic Emergency Braking will re-enable when you next drive. Note: Automatic Emergency Braking operates when you are driving at speeds between 5 mph (8 km/h) and 85 mph (140 km/h).

So was it off?
Automatic Emergency Braking Automatic Emergency Braking — a new Collision Avoidance Assist feature — is designed to automatically engage the brakes to reduce the impact of an unavoidable frontal collision. Automatic Emergency Braking will stop applying the brakes when you press the accelerator pedal, press the brake pedal, or sharply turn the steering wheel. Automatic Emergency Braking is enabled by default. You can temporarily disable this feature via the AUTOMATIC EMERGENCY BRAKING setting in Controls > Settings > Driver Assistance > COLLISION AVOIDANCE ASSIST. Automatic Emergency Braking will re-enable when you next drive. Note: Automatic Emergency Braking operates when you are driving at speeds between 5 mph (8 km/h) and 85 mph (140 km/h).
The way this feature was explained to me during a Tesla test drive is that it will REDUCE the impact, not avoid. The wording above seems to support that. So if you are going to hit someone at 40mph maybe it managed to brake until 20, but it's not early or hard enough to avoid the accident. On the other hand, a Toyota will 1. alert you then 2. Increase braking force if you do hit the pedal and finally 3. brake itself to a complete stop.

Hey nice, so you really just had to get the pigtail cord here and wire to the charger. Thinking I'll do this also since house has two Nema 14-50 outlets already.
For most people who drive less than 200 miles in the day, so long as you have six or seven hours every evening to charge, all you need is a NEMA 14-50 connected to a 50 amp breaker, The adapter and the cord that comes with the car. It is true that the tesla wall connector can be powered with more amperage, but it’s only going to give you a few more miles per hour even connected at 60 A. The wall connector does look better, and makes for a fancier garage, but it’s really not necessary. I would also add that in the 4 1/2 years I’ve owned my MS, I took the cord with me on a road trip one time and it was a complete waste of space because unless the location has a 220v Plug, all you’re going to get is a trickle charge.

(Cross post with main thread in case you missed it)

Well I finally got my LR delivered yesterday. I want to give an honest review. Not a Tesla fanboy here, and this is the first Tesla I have owned. So those who are in the same position can gleam an honest review here. I really wanted to take the time to do this as a thank you to all the people on this forum who shared their knowledge over the last 9 months and have truly been a "support group". I couldn't have made it through without you!

Delivery -
After waiting a hellacious 9 months as a "pre-refresh" order (Oct 2020), and given the run around by Tesla numerous times I quickly learned how this company operated. I'm in a service oriented business, and I know If I ever treated my clients this way, I would not have a business. But I listened to those on this forum that said the car was worth the wait and to ignore the hijinks of the company. So I stayed put. After forking out $4500 for 21's to get my car sooner, I did receive it about 10 days later. Tesla was actually able to deliver 1 day early so that was a plus. However on the day of my delivery they texted me and said that the delivery guy was going to drop off my car and go over everything with me, and give me a tutorial. I said great, and that I also wanted to inspect the car before accepting full delivery and they said no problem. So as my delivery timeframe shrunk and only having a half hour left, I went outside my house and took a look on the street. Three houses down my car was sitting on the street and with nobody in sight. They actually didn't deliver to my address and didn't even let me know my car was there. Literally nothing. No text, no call and I had no idea how long it had been sitting there and I had been waiting around. Furthermore no instructions on how to get in. I went to the app and I had been connected. However the car screen wouldn't wake. I finally meandered to my website account and saw the button to accept delivery. It would have been nice if someone would have told me what to do so I wasn't flying blind for about 45 minutes. So as far as I am concerned, Tesla gets an "F" on delivery and customer service. This isn't a package being dropped off to the wrong house by Amazon, and do what you say you are going to do.

Car Itself -
So this is where the review turns more positive. The car does look beautiful in person. It wasn't hard to let the delivery experience melt away once I sat in the car. I've driven the 2020 Model S and this definitely feels about 5 notches above that. Material quality looks good. Seats are comfortable and it "feels" more like a luxury car more than anything I have ever seen from Tesla. I love the tweed on the door panel and the alcantara throughout. Also the car is extremely quiet. You feel like you are encapsulated. I'm not sure if ANC is working or not, but no issues with sound thus far.

Yoke -
I wasn't one of the ones who was afraid of the yoke or disappointed by it. I was looking forward to it. For me it is super fun to drive. It allows for comfortable hand positions which were already normal for me (9 and 3). I drove an uphill winding road in LA and around the famous curves of Mulholland Drive. Although very odd to see a rectangle on your right or left side when making a hairpin turn, I was still easily able to control the car. One tip, if you think you can let the yoke slide back into position without going through your hands like a regular round wheel, it's not really safe. Use your other hand and hold it from the bottom and help guide it back into position. Negatives - The turns signals require constant visuals because the buttons are so touch sensitive you cannot rest your finger on the notch to find them without setting them off. They really should have put the left signal on the left side, and the right signal on the right side and it would have been much easier to navigate without having to visually engage each time. Biggest mistake in my opinion. Next mistake, not putting the horn on the bottom-center of the wheel. When you go to hold your hand over the complete right area to honk, my windshield wipers turned on with water and messed up my clean windows. So you literally have to look at where the horn button is to not accidentally engage wipers/fluid going off when you honk. Unfortunately neither the signals or the horn situation is going to physically change so it looks like we are stuck with this. Also the airbag cap has the "scar" like other deliveries. Clearly a manufacturing issue, and yes it bugs me. Lastly the yoke is not heating up to a very warm temperature consistent with other heated steering wheels I have used in the past. This will be something sent in to be looked at.

Acceleration -
Why anyone would need faster than this car beyond track racing, is beyond me. It's FAST. It's NIMBLE. It's EXHILARATING. And I haven't even done a launch yet. Two final words. "Meep Meep".

Electronics -
The driver screen is great. I turned on the FSD visualizations and it is very cool and futuristic. The green light "chime" is one of my favorite things ever. At stoplights you will inevitably turn to the center screen out of boredom and that chime lets you know the light has turned green. (FSD only.) The center screen and new UI is way more user friendly, although there are some bugs. My screen has not woken several times and I have needed to do full resets, but I believe it is because I tried to engage sentry mode and it is not working. I cannot connect my phone key on my Android phone, and one of the fobs does not connect. (Hopefully the phone key issue can be repaired). Also I cannot connect to my Youtube account. I cannot find where it automatically pushes back the seats/steering wheel for entry and exit. And lastly I was really looking forward to the tilt screen when they announced the refresh and still sorely miss it. The bottom right of the screen is hidden behind the yoke, and I have to look around it to see when the music player is minimized to that corner. I'm hoping the rumors are true and one day that will be activated, but not holding my breath. All that being said, I can see the potential greatness there once UI 11 is complete.

Build Quality -
I was pleasantly surprised in this area. With all the discussion on panel gaps I only found two gap areas that need attention. On the exterior rear door towards the top molding and on the front hood. They are not the end of the world, but should be corrected. The interior rear door panels that are misaligned are consistent with other deliveries. Everything else looked pretty darn good. The paint looked good and no areas I have noticed yet that looked poorly done or swirly. No noises or rattles. So all in all, this was less problematic than I expected. I do wish Tesla would automate the frunk though. Come on guys. Nobody wants to put both hands on the hood of your car and press down with fingerprints. Step it up for $100k.

So the final analysis from two days of ownership. The car itself gets an "A-". Tesla delivery, customer service and experience gets an "F".

I think many of us have that same feeling. Perhaps competition around the corner will force this company into treating it's customers better. Only time will tell. But in the meantime, I'm stepping on my ePedal and leaving that experience in the dust.

Attachments

• 20210711_143800.jpg
    20210711_143800.jpg
    777.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20210711_142754_2.jpg
    20210711_142754_2.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210711_143439.jpg
    20210711_143439.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210711_143603.jpg
    20210711_143603.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 20210711_143028_2.jpg
    20210711_143028_2.jpg
    880.5 KB · Views: 62
For most people who drive less than 200 miles in the day, so long as you have six or seven hours every evening to charge, all you need is a NEMA 14-50 connected to a 50 amp breaker, The adapter and the cord that comes with the car. It is true that the tesla wall connector can be powered with more amperage, but it’s only going to give you a few more miles per hour even connected at 60 A. The wall connector does look better, and makes for a fancier garage, but it’s really not necessary. I would also add that in the 4 1/2 years I’ve owned my MS, I took the cord with me on a road trip one time and it was a complete waste of space because unless the location has a 220v Plug, all you’re going to get is a trickle charge.
If I had to do it all over again, I would likely replace my HPWC with a NEMA adapter and use it exclusively for home charging. While I love the HPWC and the look of it, it is likely overkill for most people driving less than 200 mile mark you mention.

Lady slammed on her breaks in stop and go traffic at 20-30mph and I slid into the back of her Toyota RAV4 totally annoying and I think getting it fixed will take a life time. I’m wondering if they even have parts for this model car yet
Is there any reason you weren't using TACC or AP? Either would've worked great in stop and go traffic and prevented a collision.

Reactions: cwanja
(Cross post with main thread in case you missed it)

Well I finally got my LR delivered yesterday. I want to give an honest review. Not a Tesla fanboy here, and this is the first Tesla I have owned. So those who are in the same position can gleam an honest review here. I really wanted to take the time to do this as a thank you to all the people on this forum who shared their knowledge over the last 9 months and have truly been a "support group". I couldn't have made it through without you!

Delivery -
After waiting a hellacious 9 months as a "pre-refresh" order (Oct 2020), and given the run around by Tesla numerous times I quickly learned how this company operated. I'm in a service oriented business, and I know If I ever treated my clients this way, I would not have a business. But I listened to those on this forum that said the car was worth the wait and to ignore the hijinks of the company. So I stayed put. After forking out $4500 for 21's to get my car sooner, I did receive it about 10 days later. Tesla was actually able to deliver 1 day early so that was a plus. However on the day of my delivery they texted me and said that the delivery guy was going to drop off my car and go over everything with me, and give me a tutorial. I said great, and that I also wanted to inspect the car before accepting full delivery and they said no problem. So as my delivery timeframe shrunk and only having a half hour left, I went outside my house and took a look on the street. Three houses down my car was sitting on the street and with nobody in sight. They actually didn't deliver to my address and didn't even let me know my car was there. Literally nothing. No text, no call and I had no idea how long it had been sitting there and I had been waiting around. Furthermore no instructions on how to get in. I went to the app and I had been connected. However the car screen wouldn't wake. I finally meandered to my website account and saw the button to accept delivery. It would have been nice if someone would have told me what to do so I wasn't flying blind for about 45 minutes. So as far as I am concerned, Tesla gets an "F" on delivery and customer service. This isn't a package being dropped off to the wrong house by Amazon, and do what you say you are going to do.

Car Itself -
So this is where the review turns more positive. The car does look beautiful in person. It wasn't hard to let the delivery experience melt away once I sat in the car. I've driven the 2020 Model S and this definitely feels about 5 notches above that. Material quality looks good. Seats are comfortable and it "feels" more like a luxury car more than anything I have ever seen from Tesla. I love the tweed on the door panel and the alcantara throughout. Also the car is extremely quiet. You feel like you are encapsulated. I'm not sure if ANC is working or not, but no issues with sound thus far.

Yoke -
I wasn't one of the ones who was afraid of the yoke or disappointed by it. I was looking forward to it. For me it is super fun to drive. It allows for comfortable hand positions which were already normal for me (9 and 3). I drove an uphill winding road in LA and around the famous curves of Mulholland Drive. Although very odd to see a rectangle on your right or left side when making a hairpin turn, I was still easily able to control the car. One tip, if you think you can let the yoke slide back into position without going through your hands like a regular round wheel, it's not really safe. Use your other hand and hold it from the bottom and help guide it back into position. Negatives - The turns signals require constant visuals because the buttons are so touch sensitive you cannot rest your finger on the notch to find them without setting them off. They really should have put the left signal on the left side, and the right signal on the right side and it would have been much easier to navigate without having to visually engage each time. Biggest mistake in my opinion. Next mistake, not putting the horn on the bottom-center of the wheel. When you go to hold your hand over the complete right area to honk, my windshield wipers turned on with water and messed up my clean windows. So you literally have to look at where the horn button is to not accidentally engage wipers/fluid going off when you honk. Unfortunately neither the signals or the horn situation is going to physically change so it looks like we are stuck with this. Also the airbag cap has the "scar" like other deliveries. Clearly a manufacturing issue, and yes it bugs me. Lastly the yoke is not heating up to a very warm temperature consistent with other heated steering wheels I have used in the past. This will be something sent in to be looked at.

Acceleration -
Why anyone would need faster than this car beyond track racing, is beyond me. It's FAST. It's NIMBLE. It's EXHILARATING. And I haven't even done a launch yet. Two final words. "Meep Meep".

Electronics -
The driver screen is great. I turned on the FSD visualizations and it is very cool and futuristic. The green light "chime" is one of my favorite things ever. At stoplights you will inevitably turn to the center screen out of boredom and that chime lets you know the light has turned green. (FSD only.) The center screen and new UI is way more user friendly, although there are some bugs. My screen has not woken several times and I have needed to do full resets, but I believe it is because I tried to engage sentry mode and it is not working. I cannot connect my phone key on my Android phone, and one of the fobs does not connect. (Hopefully the phone key issue can be repaired). Also I cannot connect to my Youtube account. I cannot find where it automatically pushes back the seats/steering wheel for entry and exit. And lastly I was really looking forward to the tilt screen when they announced the refresh and still sorely miss it. The bottom right of the screen is hidden behind the yoke, and I have to look around it to see when the music player is minimized to that corner. I'm hoping the rumors are true and one day that will be activated, but not holding my breath. All that being said, I can see the potential greatness there once UI 11 is complete.

Build Quality -
I was pleasantly surprised in this area. With all the discussion on panel gaps I only found two gap areas that need attention. On the exterior rear door towards the top molding and on the front hood. They are not the end of the world, but should be corrected. The interior rear door panels that are misaligned are consistent with other deliveries. Everything else looked pretty darn good. The paint looked good and no areas I have noticed yet that looked poorly done or swirly. No noises or rattles. So all in all, this was less problematic than I expected. I do wish Tesla would automate the frunk though. Come on guys. Nobody wants to put both hands on the hood of your car and press down with fingerprints. Step it up for $100k.

So the final analysis from two days of ownership. The car itself gets an "A-". Tesla delivery, customer service and experience gets an "F".

I think many of us have that same feeling. Perhaps competition around the corner will force this company into treating it's customers better. Only time will tell. But in the meantime, I'm stepping on my ePedal and leaving that experience in the dust.
Congratulations again and enjoy it!

Reactions: brunla
For years, I too just used the 14-50 at home and it worked well for overnight charging leaving the mobile connector plugged in all the time. I never needed it on the road either. This time around I did upgrade to 60 amp and replaced the 14-50 mostly because it was “cool” and wanted to maximize charge. Although I must say I like this hybrid solution. Nice compromise.

Per spec it’s 29 vs 34 mph of charge (50 vs 60a) Not huge and I probably won’t even notice unless I need to do a quicker turnaround. But the range is so good now, that is unlikely.

Also don’t forget that there is a federal tax credit and most local utilities offer a rebate for installing an EV charger. I will be getting $250 rebate and then %30 tax credit on the balance (including installation costs) Seemed a no brainer.

I actually reserved FN2187 as a license place before I got my first Tesla since I was going for the stormtrooper look with the white exterior back in 2016. They later dropped that color and we already had a pearl white so I ended up switching to silver. Being a Star Trek fan as well, I ended up getting ENRGIZE instead.

Congrats on your purchase and delivery. Still waiting on ours!

For years, I too just used the 14-50 at home and it worked well for overnight charging leaving the mobile connector plugged in all the time. I never needed it on the road either. This time around I did upgrade to 60 amp and replaced the 14-50 mostly because it was “cool” and wanted to maximize charge. Although I must say I like this hybrid solution. Nice compromise.

Per spec it’s 29 vs 34 mph of charge (50 vs 60a) Not huge and I probably won’t even notice unless I need to do a quicker turnaround. But the range is so good now, that is unlikely.

Also don’t forget that there is a federal tax credit and most local utilities offer a rebate for installing an EV charger. I will be getting $250 rebate and then %30 tax credit on the balance (including installation costs) Seemed a no brainer.
Do you imply the tax credit and rebates are only for the wall charger and not for the pig tail solution as it is not a dedicated unit?

Thanks to all for the very informative discussion on the charger install (especially for newbies on this group). Greatly appreciated 👍