Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crosspost:
Question : On my new S Long Range when I do hard accelerations or a launch, when it starts to hit about 60 or 70 MPH, the steering gets a little squirrely. I'm forcing it to stay straight and correcting it. The yoke is pulling left and right. I have to slow down since on not on a track so don't know what happens after that. I took it into service and they are saying that is completely "normal". I find it hard to believe that feeling like a car might lose control is something normal. Are they giving me the run around or is there something specific I can tell them that needs to be fixed or looked into?
What kind of pavement are you doing this on? When I got my P85 7+ years ago, I had the same behavior when launching or driving on highways with grooved surfaces here in northern California. Tesla looked at it and said it was normal behavior with brand new tires on the grooved pavement and it would go away after a few weeks. That's exactly what happened, and had the same behavior for a few weeks when I replaced the OEM Michelin Primacy tires with Michelin Pilot A/S 3+'s a year or two ago. Might that be what's happening? Just a thought.

Last edited:
Not necessarily; in the last earnings call, he mentioned that S/X actually lost money in aggregate; with the vast majority of Q2 ships being Plaids, it would imply that they're not making much money on any portion of the line yet
If they lost money on S/X it’s because they only shipped a handful and not enough to cover the fixed costs associated with the programs, including amortization of the new development costs, as well as the heavy labor costs trying to figure out how to assemble the refreshed version.

Once they get the production up to speed they will make lots of money. Those product lines aren’t a loss leader.

If they lost money on S/X it’s because they only shipped a handful and not enough to cover the fixed costs associated with the programs, including amortization of the new development costs, as well as the heavy labor costs trying to figure out how to assemble the refreshed version.

Once they get the production up to speed they will make lots of money. Those product lines aren’t a loss leader.
Oh I agree with you. I think I remember him saying that they expect S to actually cost less (and therefore, have larger margins on a per unit basis) when the line is maximized. Just disagreeing that Plaid is 75% margin (which was the claim before). It's probably closer to 25-30%, and probably not meaningfully more profitable than the LR.

What kind of pavement are you doing this on? When I got my P85 7+ years ago, I had the same behavior when launching or driving on highways with grooved surfaces here in northern California. Tesla looked at it and said it was normal behavior with brand new tires on the grooved pavement and it would go away after a few weeks. That's exactly what happened, and had the same behavior for a few weeks when I replaced the OEM Michelin Primacy tires with Michelin Pilot A/S 3+'s a year or two ago. Might that be what's happening? Just a thought.
Yes just regular pavement. Good to know. Thank you.

Reactions: cwanja
Really hope you're right when it comes to this. My 3P never had torque steer issues and it made it a joy to drive. Hoping the S LR isn't a downgrade in that regard.

Reactions: Mike4660
Oh I agree with you. I think I remember him saying that they expect S to actually cost less (and therefore, have larger margins on a per unit basis) when the line is maximized. Just disagreeing that Plaid is 75% margin (which was the claim before). It's probably closer to 25-30%, and probably not meaningfully more profitable than the LR.
I saw that comment and I believe it referred to the incremental pricing and costs associated with Plaid vs. LR. Wouldn’t surprise me if 75% of the difference in revenue between Plaid and LR was profit, although I’d guess 55-60%. It most certainly is higher than the overall margin on the vehicle. Of course now that the difference is only $40,000 that incremental profit will be less as some was shifted to increasing LR margins with the two recent price increases.

By the way, Tesla is completely correct to raise the refresh $10k on introduction (and now another $10k since) even if costs are down. It’s a screaming bargain at anything under $100k when you consider very few cars have comparable performance and those are all priced over $100k. Prices should be based on what people are willing to pay and not costs.

That text was in May? They were already predicting December? Seems...off. Have you tried following up to that text?
It probably means nothing. I got a generic sounding text like this in early July apologizing for the day and saying that I should have my car within a "few weeks." That said, it seems that the 19's are the problem. I am in California but I doubt that make a big difference. I have and RN1147* as well and am showing a EDD of Aug 6 - 20, although I am sure that is wrong as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ormond and cwanja
While I am not holding my breath, my EDD just changed from Blank to August. I enjoyed a moment of excitement. LR 19" ordered 4/4/21.
And that moment is over! I'm now back to blank.
I really wonder why some people that ordered way before I did have blank EDDs..from what I’ve gathered so far, it looks most of them are further east. Don’t know if that’s a factor at all though
Mine is blank today from August on Monday. Ordered 4/4/21 I'm about 40 miles from Fremont. My SA told me today that it may be mid Nov-Dec!

• Disagree
Reactions: Ormond and FrenchB4
Mine is blank today from August on Monday. Ordered 4/4/21 I'm about 40 miles from Fremont. My SA told me today that it may be mid Nov-Dec!
And yet someone else SA said they are still on track for September / October and that they should take other SAs information with a grain of salt. So it is anyone guess at this point. I know there is a local user with 19s set for mid-August and still holding. This someone else in this thread or another thread has a similar date range. So it seems odd that they would just start pushing cars out to November / December.

Reactions: Vinny860