Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For eight days (starting on August 20th), our EDD has been holding steady at September 01 - September 04. We have not yet heard anything from Tesla via e-mail or phone about the delivery specifics.

I was just down the street from the local Tesla store this afternoon, so I thought I’d swing by to see if there were any signs that we will actually get our car next week. We saw three Plaids (2 black, 1 red with black interiors and 21” wheels), and a twin of the LR that we are awaiting (MSM / Black, 19” Wheels). The VIN on the LR (…439XXX) was about 1,060 lower than ours, which suggests the Model S production rate has picked up significantly.

Attachments

• IMG_5335.jpeg
    IMG_5335.jpeg
    532.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5336.jpeg
    IMG_5336.jpeg
    604 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5337.jpeg
    IMG_5337.jpeg
    819 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5338.jpeg
    IMG_5338.jpeg
    625.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5339.jpeg
    IMG_5339.jpeg
    691.4 KB · Views: 65
For eight days (starting on August 20th), our EDD has been holding steady at September 01 - September 04. We have not yet heard anything from Tesla via e-mail or phone about the delivery specifics.

I was just down the street from the local Tesla store this afternoon, so I thought I’d swing by to see if there were any signs that we will actually get our car next week. We saw three Plaids (2 black, 1 red with black interiors and 21” wheels), and a twin of the LR that we are awaiting (MSM / Black, 19” Wheels). The VIN on the LR (…439XXX) was about 1,060 lower than ours, which suggests the Model S production rate has picked up significantly.
FWIW, I called Tesla yesterday proactively and set up my delivery date & time. I had to wait on hold for 27 minutes, but they were helpful. Call this number and follow the prompts for new car delivery/sales: 1 (888) 518-3752.

Advice needed from those who've sold an earlier Model S to acquire their new car. My MS LR is holding steady for late September delivery, but given the potential for problems (I purchased both prior Teslas during EOQ madness), I'm planning to hold on to my 2013 P85 as backup for at least a month before selling. Two questions:
  1. Wheels/tires - I have original 19" wheels stored and 21" award silver Arachnids on the car. Should I switch back to the originals and try to sell the Arachnids? If so, what are they worth? Has anyone had success using Craigs List or eBay?
  2. Experience with Carvana, CarMax or others? Don't think I want to try to deal with a private sale. If you don't want to clutter this thread with responses, point me to a better thread for this or PM me.

Yeah there was an inventory LR in Miami - 2k to deliver it to here in Phoenix. Would take weeks I bet..I'll keep hunting -)
Amazing with Tesla already charging so much for delivery (doesn’t cost them on average near what they charge) and then when they have a cancelled car and you are willing to help them out and buy it, they have the nerve to charge you 2K more for delivery. Let it roll Elon, but this won’t last forever.

Advice needed from those who've sold an earlier Model S to acquire their new car. My MS LR is holding steady for late September delivery, but given the potential for problems (I purchased both prior Teslas during EOQ madness), I'm planning to hold on to my 2013 P85 as backup for at least a month before selling. Two questions:
  1. Wheels/tires - I have original 19" wheels stored and 21" award silver Arachnids on the car. Should I switch back to the originals and try to sell the Arachnids? If so, what are they worth? Has anyone had success using Craigs List or eBay?
  2. Experience with Carvana, CarMax or others? Don't think I want to try to deal with a private sale. If you don't want to clutter this thread with responses, point me to a better thread for this or PM me.
Same, I have an M3 LR and will sell it after my RN1148 arrives. I sold a miata to carmax about months ago. Everything went well, online estimate was exactly what I got, no nickel and dime. I had to wait 1.5hrs at carmax though. All in all definitely worth it as they gave me a good price. For my M3, carmax strangely said they can't give online estimate because it's not a common car for them. Carvana gave me an online price if 44. 5k but not sure if they will nickel and dime me lower once transaction starts. Private sales... Tried it but so many lowball offers.

1. Experience with Carvana, CarMax or others? Don't think I want to try to deal with a private sale. If you don't want to clutter this thread with responses, point me to a better thread for this or PM me.
I used Shift and the process went smoothly except my forgetting to note curb rash on one of the tires when submitting the form. They came out, inspected the car, dinged me a reasonable amount for the curb rash (I really only thought I had curb rash on one wheel and can't remember what happened to the second), and I had money in my account that day or the next day (it was 3 years ago). Submit your car to all the big reputable services for estimates and pick the highest one.

Definitely keep your original forged Arachnids... they are superior in strength and weight to the new cast Plaid version.

Gary, if you so desire and should your time allow, I'd love to read about your 300 mile drive home, what you learned about your beautiful car, your likes, etc. Thx!!
Made it home. Car handled great. Only thing I didn't like was using the auto lane change. Couple times it would signal and then not change lanes and I was still not totally pass a vehicle and it would turn the signal on to get back over. After turning the automatic lane change off it worked well. Using my phone as a key is not the most consistent. Walking up to the car is 50/50 if it automatically extends the handles. Could always push on the handles and they would extend. Don't know how many times I hit windshield wiper control button. I'm sure I'll adjust to where the button is. Can't blame the car for that.
Overall I did enjoy the drive home.

Made it home. Car handled great. Only thing I didn't like was using the auto lane change. Couple times it would signal and then not change lanes and I was still not totally pass a vehicle and it would turn the signal on to get back over. After turning the automatic lane change off it worked well. Using my phone as a key is not the most consistent. Walking up to the car is 50/50 if it automatically extends the handles. Could always push on the handles and they would extend. Don't know how many times I hit windshield wiper control button. I'm sure I'll adjust to where the button is. Can't blame the car for that.
Thx Gary, enjoy it safely!! Cheers...

Curious did they issue you actual key fobs? Like I have now with my 2017 S. Or did they only give you key cards and the ability to connect with your phone?

I took a trip yesterday to our local delivery and service center in Smithtown Long Island in hopes of actually seeing a refresh S as so far I have only seen pictures of them. They had 5. 3 were plaids and 2 LR. There was a mix of 19 and 21 inch wheels on both versions. Sad to report they are all summer tires. 4 had black interiors and 1 LR had cream with wood interior. The wood is darker than pictured on the configuration page. I was hoping for a lighter shade of wood, but oh well. I took my time and walked around the 4 that were parked outside to examine fit, finish, etc closely. 1 was inside being prepped, so I couldn't really get a good look at it. According to the SA insides the ones I looked at were literally right off the truck and had not yet been touched it looked at yet. They still had white plastic over the black trim and other signs that not much had been done to them. The paint appeared perfect on all 4. There was 1 red, 1 white, 1 black and 1 MSM. I have a white one on order, but damn, that MSM is pretty. Panel gaps and bumper alignment, etc appeared correct on all 4. 1 of the plaids had a paper sticker inside the rear glass that said the rear hatch was at its "best fit" as of 8-12-21. The gaps appeared even and correct. I could not verify if it opened or closed properly. On all 4 the door handles were either perfectly flush or 1 or 2 of them were about 1 mm below flush. I did see a slight mis alignment on the door trim of the driver's door on 2 of them. It was correct for height, but was set a bit too wide and appeared easily adjustable. The red plaid was unlocked and a gentle press of the driver's door handle had all 4 handles present correctly. The door opened easily and I sat in the driver's seat briefly. I am coming out of a 2018 Volvo S 90 with some of the best seats in the industry. I did not attempt to adjust the seats in the new car, but I am convinced they will prove to be as good at the very least. They are a deeper bucket with better side bolster support. Didn't I read that Tesla hired Volvos chief of interior design a few years back? The last S I test drove was a 2016 P90D and these seats are in a different league. The only real issue I saw was the rear door panels. All of them were misaligned the same way. The door panel is higher than the the section next to the seat. It appeared very consistent. I next went in to speak with someone and to as I a favor. Could they remove the aero cover from a 19 inch wheel so I could see the wheel itself. The SA was very accommodating and took me into the shop where one was being prepped for delivery. The underlying wheel in my opinion is very nice. It is a polished dark titanium lobster fork design. It only need the center caps and lug nut covers to look beautiful. The 21s that I saw were a mat black finish and thought the 19s looked better. Perhaps the 21s still had a protective coating on them for transport? I then discussed the trimmand door panel issues I saw and was told that they have seen a significant improvement in the quality of the vehicles they have been getting lately. They haven't seen any paint issues in a while. He said the 4 outside hadn't been looked at yet, but they were very picky about getting the cars correct before the customer picks it up and encouraged me to inspect my car at deliver closely. The SA wouldn't give me any BS, would he? Ha!

Next up... The fly on wall report.
I also got a chance to observe the service department in action. This was on a Sunday mind you and they were not well staffed. I only saw 1 technician working on a vehicle. Someone had their older S flat bedded into the shop because it had gone unresponsive in his driveway, dead screens, etc. After it was taken off the flat bed, it suddenly came back to life. The owner said he had a trip to go on that afternoon and wasn't sure he could trust it. The service advisor said he was also concerned and didn't want him driving it, so they gave him an S 75D as a loaner. He said to keep it for however long it took to find the issue with his vehicle. I don't know how old the customers car was, but he was quite happy with the arrangements. I would have been ok with that as well. He seemed genuinely concerned that the customer was pleased.

All in all, it was an interesting Sunday afternoon. To say I'm eagerly anticipating the delivery of my new S, is an understatement.