Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke to somebody in Tesla sales support a short time ago. They will be changing the model year designation beginning in November. So any car delivered beginning in November will be a 2022
Interesting. I wonder if this is accurate, or another example of a SA blowing smoke. I believe they changed in Oct in previous years. Also, it is not based on delivery, but build date. Correct?
My EDD is now end of Oct/early Nov. Given that I am not in a huge hurry, I'd rather have a 2022 build date. I know, it doesn't really matter that much

Reactions: feixingyuan
Interesting. I wonder if this is accurate, or another example of a SA blowing smoke. I believe they changed in Oct in previous years. Also, it is not based on delivery, but build date. Correct?
My EDD is now end of Oct/early Nov. Given that I am not in a huge hurry, I'd rather have a 2022 build date. I know, it doesn't really matter that much
Probably impacts depreciation and re-sale value.

October MFG Date is when the change happens.
I hope you are right because it will be another glass half full point if my retail SA is right and I am slated for an October production car with October delivery despite the fact that my EDD online moved up to September 15-29 the day after I spoke to the SA.

If I get an EOQ car in September, I will get to play with it and drive it sooner (albeit likely with parts falling off of it as QC for this all time record month of deliveries according to Elon will likely be poor). If not, I get a car maybe with better or at least more time spent for QC and a 22 model year.

Not sure how relevant model years are for Teslas since they don't appear to only change cars with model years but as long as used car prices track to model years, a little bit more of resale value for the exact same car is a plus.

I ordered in June, res 1151. LR, White exterior, black interior, 19" wheels, FSD, SF bay area. EDD has mostly been late October / early November. A few weeks ago delivery moved up to end of September, then back to October, now it is Sep 15-30.

If I remove FSD, my price stays the same, correct? I ordered prior to both price bumps

I hope you are right because it will be another glass half full point if my retail SA is right and I am slated for an October production car with October delivery despite the fact that my EDD online moved up to September 15-29 the day after I spoke to the SA.

If I get an EOQ car in September, I will get to play with it and drive it sooner (albeit likely with parts falling off of it as QC for this all time record month of deliveries according to Elon will likely be poor). If not, I get a car maybe with better or at least more time spent for QC and a 22 model year.

Not sure how relevant model years are for Teslas since they don't appear to only change cars with model years but as long as used car prices track to model years, a little bit more of resale value for the exact same car is a plus.
The model year will affect depreciation a bit, but if you're selling it privately down the road then "refreshed Model S" is going to be the bigger headline. As long as they don't have some QoL changes in the middle of 2022, but I'm betting they're not touching this car for a while.

If anything, for people living in VA or areas with aggressive personal property tax, the model year depreciation might be even more adventageous.

Reactions: T-Racer
I spoke to somebody in Tesla sales support a short time ago. They will be changing the model year designation beginning in November. So any car delivered beginning in November will be a 2022
Question sir: delivered? I'm east coast (Florida); my [current] EDD is Oct. 13 - Nov. 02. [BIG] IF, that holds and a VIN is assigned in October, but after shipping, delivery is in November, wouldn't the October assigned VIN be an "M" for 2021 although delivery is in November? Just curious (I've never been classified 'very smart'...

• Funny
Reactions: T-Racer
October MFG Date is when the change happens.
My question, exactly: if my VIN is assigned in October per Mr. Louiedog's source, but after shipping to me on the east coast (Florida), my delivery may be in Nov. I would have expected when the VIN is assigned, the delivery date doesn't matter, correct? SO, if the changeover is in Oct. or Nov. and the "M" for 2021 or "N" for 2022, what do you think my VIN will be? M or N? Thanks...

Reactions: Aleks0404
Question sir: delivered? I'm east coast (Florida); my [current] EDD is Oct. 13 - Nov. 02. [BIG] IF, that holds and a VIN is assigned in October, but after shipping, delivery is in November, wouldn't the October assigned VIN be an "M" for 2021 although delivery is in November? Just curious (I've never been classified 'very smart'...
according to my sources (Elon Musk :)) cars manufactured starting October 1st 2021 will receive the new designated N in the VIN. Again a lot of cars could be still delivered in October and even in November with the M but thats depending on how many Cars are in circulation Manufactured prior 01.10.2021.

Last edited: