Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to sit in and check out the car before making my payment through the website. I had an actual person do the delivery appointment and set up the plate and go over the car. I inspected then once I was satisfied, I did the payment via plaid and it was instant.
I like and agree with all you stated; it's only fair. I'm disappointed that apparently some SC, some SA and even managers will not allow the car to even be unlocked for an interior inspection "without" any thought of actually driving.

I’ve only had her a day but will be taking notes with and without. Someone posted a trip around Houston with and without and found no difference. But I’ve got to believe they are effective otherwise why bother? Maybe to SEEM more aerodynamic? Doubtful.
Yea, @epotter and I did it. I do not think our analysis will win any Nobel Prize or anything, but we saw negligible difference between them on and off. Someone shared this article from a Model 3 test where it was 3% or 10 miles additional range. Our Testing Shows Tesla Model 3 Aero Wheel Covers Really Do Improve Efficiency I think as @epotter put it - that amount of range will not eliminate one Supercharger stop from a road trip. It could reduce the amount of time needed at each Supercharger, sure. But nothing ground breaking.

Last edited:
Yea, @epotter and I did it. I do not think our analysis will win any Nobel Prize or anything, but we saw negligible difference between them on and off. Someone shared this article from a Model 3 test where it was 3% or 10 miles additional range. Our Testing Shows Tesla Model 3 Aero Wheel Covers Really Do Improve Efficiency I think as @epotter put it - that amount of range will not get me from one Supercharger to another. It could reduce the amount of time needed at each Supercharger, sure. But nothing ground breaking.
I'm not positive, but I believe it must have been the Model 3 Aero Wheel covers that I have spotted on several different occasions that I personally felt were extremely hideous and if the facts showed a difference of only 3% or less, there would be no way I would have them on my car. Again, personal opinion of course.

As far as the Model S 19's, I personally feel the dark covers look fine and I would leave them on regardless of whether or not there is any difference in range.

My decision for wheels on my MS LR were based on visual appeal and I felt the 21" Arachnids and with Michelin's were well worth the $4,500.00 upgrade which I did about a month prior to the 2 price increases. Trying to get an earlier delivery based on that upgrade was never a consideration in my case and I personally do not feel that actually matteted. Lastly, living in Florida with long road trips unlikely and driving on good roads, I was never worried about pot holes, etc. I have no regrets on the $4,500.00 upgrade.

But a stupid hassle nonetheless. Ohio-based here, and I am expecting delivery mid Oct. I will not accept summer tires going into winter.
Same, I got my SA to put in an email that I would get AS tires just so I have it. No way I am driving 2.5 hours (northern Ohio to Columbus) to get a car in December (eta) and driving back with any snow on the roads and summers. It may not help to have her email, but I have pinned it just in case.
To add: This was the day I placed my order that she confirmed that for me.

Reactions: cwanja and Louiedog
Follow-up to my previous post many pages back. Delivery is now set for September 20th @ 10am.

With checklist in hand, wife and I will be tag teaming the car inspection, immediately after taking delivery I will be heading to my PPF/Tint appointment. Doing full XPEL stealth PPF; XPEL Prime XR Plus for tint 70% front, 30% rear and doors
A follow-up to my follow-up.

Picked up my SLR MSM / Black / 19" today at the Nashville-Brentwood SC. Owning two Tesla's already, I knew what to expect, and I have always had great service at this SC.

Today was no different.

They let me have as much time as I wanted, during a torrential down pour, and sat back in the wings just in case I had questions. Wife and I went through the whole checklist for at least the exterior, since it was raining quite heavily. Panel gaps, paint, etc. was flawless. Also no damage underneath from trailer loading and unloading. The SC had called me the day before to let me know that the car was ready, with floor mats, but all of the interior trunk covers were missing and had been noted in my account.

Car came with Continental A/S tires, 2 key cards and 2 key fobs.

After signing paperwork, I drove the 2 whole miles to the PPF installer and dropped her off. The PPF installer was kind enough to let us finish our inspection on the interior, and also jumped in to help and provide some guidance on things he has seen with the new refresh. At this point we have not found anything glaring. If the "worm" is on the yoke, it's so subtle that I just didn't catch it in the correct lighting. There are a few minor ripples (not creases) in the seat, but it should be easily remedied by some steam or hot towels to tighten it up.

Car had 2021.32.10 firmware installed at delivery, and also has 2021.32.20 ready for install once I connect her to Wi-Fi.

In the short two mile drive, I can already tell the vast difference in quality compared to my 2017 S100D, and I thought that build was quite good for Tesla at the time. The doors definitely feel more solid on closing, the interior much quieter, and the yoke feels very natural for my hand position while driving. Now the long wait till Friday begins :)

A follow-up to my follow-up.

Picked up my SLR MSM / Black / 19" today at the Nashville-Brentwood SC. Owning two Tesla's already, I knew what to expect, and I have always had great service at this SC.

Today was no different.

They let me have as much time as I wanted, during a torrential down pour, and sat back in the wings just in case I had questions. Wife and I went through the whole checklist for at least the exterior, since it was raining quite heavily. Panel gaps, paint, etc. was flawless. Also no damage underneath from trailer loading and unloading. The SC had called me the day before to let me know that the car was ready, with floor mats, but all of the interior trunk covers were missing and had been noted in my account.

Car came with Continental A/S tires, 2 key cards and 2 key fobs.

After signing paperwork, I drove the 2 whole miles to the PPF installer and dropped her off. The PPF installer was kind enough to let us finish our inspection on the interior, and also jumped in to help and provide some guidance on things he has seen with the new refresh. At this point we have not found anything glaring. If the "worm" is on the yoke, it's so subtle that I just didn't catch it in the correct lighting. There are a few minor ripples (not creases) in the seat, but it should be easily remedied by some steam or hot towels to tighten it up.

Car had 2021.32.10 firmware installed at delivery, and also has 2021.32.20 ready for install once I connect her to Wi-Fi.

In the short two mile drive, I can already tell the vast difference in quality compared to my 2017 S100D, and I thought that build was quite good for Tesla at the time. The doors definitely feel more solid on closing, the interior much quieter, and the yoke feels very natural for my hand position while driving. Now the long wait till Friday begins :)
Thanks for the detailed review. Excited to hear all of that. I am moving from a 2017 MS75D, and I agree build quality on that one was pretty good. Hearing your review of the new one is exciting.

It’s true in some cases you have to accept delivery before the car is delivered. I know some people have been able to inspect it before, but the Covid excuse gives them some leverage to require “touchless” delivery.

But just because you’ve accepted delivery doesn’t mean you have no recourse if there are defects. I haven’t found any, but my understanding is once you accept the vehicle if you find something you set up a service appt to fix it. I guess I did find one. Neither fob seems to work, so I called my SA and he set up an appt to get them checked. Presumably misaligned doors or whatever are dealt with the same way.
I know this is probably the first thing you did, but did you pull the tab on the back of the fobs to activate them?

This weekend my delivery date was updated to Sept 26-30 and still no VIN.. What are my actual chances of this happening? When should I expect a VIN?
m.gif

only he knows....

This weekend my delivery date was updated to Sept 26-30 and still no VIN.. What are my actual chances of this happening? When should I expect a VIN?
Not a zero percentage chance. But highly unlikely. The way Texas sales work, you would have already had to configure financing which would require a VIN. Logistics is also a headache from Fremont. But there are some AZ people getting similar dates, so maybe they are going to truck some out to AZ and TX this weekend.

Would say just be prepared. EoQ has to move quick.

Not a zero percentage chance. But highly unlikely. The way Texas sales work, you would have already had to configure financing which would require a VIN. Logistics is also a headache from Fremont. But there are some AZ people getting similar dates, so maybe they are going to truck some out to AZ and TX this weekend.

Would say just be prepared. EoQ has to move quick.
If it is going to happen, I would assume a VIN in the next day or 2 as they will want their money!

Reactions: DCland21 and cwanja
Question for anyone who has already taken delivery: Is there a way to mount your phone to a phone holder that attaches to an air-vent in the car? This is with the intention of using Waze in an easily visible phone in the line of sight, as opposed to placing the phone on the wireless charger in the center console. I am unable to infer this from stock photos. Any pictures of your air vents would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Question for anyone who has already taken delivery: Is there a way to mount your phone to a phone holder that attaches to an air-vent in the car? This is with the intention of using Waze in an easily visible phone in the line of sight, as opposed to placing the phone on the wireless charger in the center console. I am unable to infer this from stock photos. Any pictures of your air vents would be much appreciated! Thanks.
there isn't normal vent slits I use a suction mount in my model 3 but ended up not needing it after getting used to the tesla screen connecting to my iPhone

Reactions: cwanja
I actually have the same question but I do not understand your answer. What do you mean by "ended up not needing it after getting used to the tesla screen connecting to my iPhone"
I mainly used my phone for music, text, voice, and navigation. I was able to do that all through the tesla screen. It wasn't like apple car play but it worked. Text messages pop up on my screen and I just voice to text most of the time. There are probably other options than suction mounts but I had one already from my old car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Louiedog