Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question not related to the delivery but about the car. I found there is a loud noise when my MS LR moving in reverse. Not sure whether it should be defined as the "noise" but it is definitely not as quiet as when the car is moving forward.

Previous two Tesla I drove didn't have that sound. I am wondering whether it's the issue on my car or the effects created by Tesla on purpose. If you took the delivery already, can you share whether your car has the loud sound when reversing? Thank you.
Can you post a video of the sound? You should hear that spaceship reversing sound, but otherwise it should be near 0 noise.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Took delivery today in Devon PA. It went way smoother than my Model 3 delivery there in 2018. Took all of 30 minutes.
The car was absolutely fine. No odd panel gaps, no paint issues, fit and finish were great. Everything worked fine. Came with floor mats. Trunk cover was the only item missing. They’ll give me a shout when it arrives. They’re shipping the all-season tires to the Lancaster center for me, where I’ll swap out the Pirelli summer tires.

I know there is a lot of frustration with Tesla’s communication or lack thereof. I was frustrated too. And the delays and pushed back dates are agony. But let me say that this car makes it so worth it once you get in! I loved my Model 3 and was really worried I’d miss it. Nope. This is a far better driving experience for me. Hang in there, folks, you’ll be thrilled when that big day finally comes!
When did you order? What is your configuration? Were there many MS’s at Devon?

How did you do that? Especially with the lack of communication I keep reading about.
Got someone to give me a referral to join dcu, got approved for 1.29 for 65m (if you planned to do direct deposit w/them). Took approval doc to tesla ([email protected]) they turned around match rate within a day but switch to 60m which i didnt mind.

Once i took delivery i canceled the dcu application.

Since the original rate they were offering was 2.49, which was silly for me since i have 800+ rating and knew i could do better

Got someone to give me a referral to join dcu, got approved for 1.29 for 65m (if you planned to do direct deposit w/them). Took approval doc to tesla ([email protected]) they turned around match rate within a day but switch to 60m which i didnt mind.

Since the original rate they were offering was 2.49, which was silly for me since i have 800+ rating and knew i could do better
Thx! I have excellent credit as well and want to make sure I am taking full advantage of it.

Hey I intend on doing this route as well. I been a member of DCU since early this year as i didnt even think it would take nearly this long to get the car. I havent done an application yet since i still dont have concrete delivery and dont want the hard pulls. However when i logon the portal it automatically has loan approvals for New car, used car, boat, motorcycle and even increasing the credit card limit on the card i havent ever even used.

The craziness is they have the automatic car loan approval for 2.49 and $50k. I'd want the super lowest rate and match if needed to Tesla like you did. My questions are how do you go about getting the great rate at DCU, is it once you apply and you haggle down? Then when you get a letter from DCU you send to ratematch over at Tesla?

$50k wont cut the full price for the Model S plus that rate is yucky, and honestly i dont even know why they have it there except being a member you get your updated FICO every month free so they kinda already know your credit without a hard pull i guess.

Thanks in advance!

I believe the "T1" on my Continental tires means it is a bespoke tire for the car. I first ran across this sort of thing with Porsche. Most people dismiss it as a trick to get you to go to a dealer for replacements. On the other hand, for the Model 3 I heard you would not get the noise-reducing foam on the inside if you did not get the bespoke tire. It may also mean the tire was specifically tested for the car, for what that's worth beyond normal testing.

Whatever tire you get, it's worth reading up on them. I was surprised to find the Conti ProContact RX [T1] tires I got are "run flat" tires. I was not surprised to learn they are unlikely to last more than 20K miles. That's what 5000 lbs and insane torque will do.

I have a question not related to the delivery but about the car. I found there is a loud noise when my MS LR moving in reverse. Not sure whether it should be defined as the "noise" but it is definitely not as quiet as when the car is moving forward.

Previous two Tesla I drove didn't have that sound. I am wondering whether it's the issue on my car or the effects created by Tesla on purpose. If you took the delivery already, can you share whether your car has the loud sound when reversing? Thank you.
Thats now a new feature car has to make the humming sound as pedestrian safety requires it. Nothing wrong with car enjoy.

Thats now a new feature car has to make the humming sound as pedestrian safety requires it. Nothing wrong with car enjoy.
Is there any way to disable that pedestrian safety sound feature? I hate that induced artificial sound, especially when most newer gas powered and hybrid vehicles are just as quiet as a Tesla when backing up, but don't have that added noise.

• Disagree
Reactions: cascadilla
Is there any way to disable that pedestrian safety sound feature? I hate that induced artificial sound, especially when most newer gas powered and hybrid vehicles are just as quiet as a Tesla when backing up, but don't have that added noise.
In the Model Y, many have unplugged the speaker in the front right wheel well, taped off wires, and are fine. It works in the Y.
It's odd as in our 2021 Powerboost Ford F150, it makes quite a bit of odd sound from a speaker when its in electric only mode moving slow and hate that too, especially since we are mostly in a rural area. But, people that tried to undo that speaker that is much harder to find, encountered warnings/errors in the cluster. Tesla doesn't seem to have the feedback check.

Absract Ocean has a kit Isolation Kit for the PWS (Pedestrian Warning System). Not sure if it works on the refresh, but I watched an install video on an older one and it seemed pretty easy.

• Helpful
Reactions: cwanja
For any Canadian folks (I'm in Vancouver), I ordered in late April and for the past 2 months had Sept 19-30 listed as my delivery window (white/black w 21s). On the 19th, it changed to Sept 23-30. Yesterday, it changed to Sept 26-30 and I received the email inviting me to pay for the car. As well, the motor vehicle purchase agreement (which lists the VIN) appeared in the documents section of my account. I had contacted my SA last week and she indicated that the car was physically here but that I could not yet see it as it had not been prepped for delivery. We'll see what happens in the next few days.

In the Model Y, many have unplugged the speaker in the front right wheel well, taped off wires, and are fine. It works in the Y.
It's odd as in our 2021 Powerboost Ford F150, it makes quite a bit of odd sound from a speaker when its in electric only mode moving slow and hate that too, especially since we are mostly in a rural area. But, people that tried to undo that speaker that is much harder to find, encountered warnings/errors in the cluster. Tesla doesn't seem to have the feedback check.
We have a 2021 Chrysler Pacifica Plug In Hybrid that comes out of the factory with enough artificially induced noise to wake up the dead when backing up, and when moving forward at less than 15 mph. Mercifully, it was super easy to disable this annoyance by removing a fuse that is dedicated to the noise generator from the fuse box, with no alerts and warnings tied to it. Took all of 5 minutes to return to silent bliss.

Config:

Blue/Black LR Model S with 19" Tempest Wheels - Ordered April 12, 2021 - Delivered September 22, 2021.

I didn't see many there, maybe four or five that I noticed, but I didn't walk the lot, so I don't know how many they may have had.

Reactions: Blue Stuff
Another note after taking delivery yesterday - just something I wanted to mention that several people have brought up, and I don't know if anyone else has pointed it out. That "worm" that people mention on the yoke isn't really a defect. It appears to be the airbag casing and you can simply see it slightly raised through the covering material. It's a complete circle, actually.

Now, does it look good? Opinions will vary. It doesn't bother me at all, and I've seen similar things in other vehicles, including BMWs and Volvos. I know people still may not like seeing it, and that's fine, but to me it's no big deal, not even on a car this expensive. It's VERY subtle.

Another note after taking delivery yesterday - just something I wanted to mention that several people have brought up, and I don't know if anyone else has pointed it out. That "worm" that people mention on the yoke isn't really a defect. It appears to be the airbag casing and you can simply see it slightly raised through the covering material. It's a complete circle, actually.

Now, does it look good? Opinions will vary. It doesn't bother me at all, and I've seen similar things in other vehicles, including BMWs and Volvos. I know people still may not like seeing it, and that's fine, but to me it's no big deal, not even on a car this expensive. It's VERY subtle.
There has been a few discussions about it, calling it specifically what it is. But it is buried in the main thread. I think people just called it a worm to make it...fun? Someone even named theirs, but I think they were just high on excitement for delivery day. Like you said, even other Model S owners have chimed in that they had the same outline on previous year Model S also.

• Informative
Reactions: McQ14