Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't your plane have a yoke? You have practice :)
Hah. I suppose you’re right. Different usage patterns though.

Also, wanted to share since I was super stressed about this whether I’d get to inspect the car prior to accepting delivery: Princeton NJ’s SC let me sit in the car, and fully inspect the interior. I picked the car up at 1pm on a Monday, and the SC was basically empty. This was on Sept 27, so peak EOQ rush.

I think your best chance is if you go during off hours. It def helps that the employees at Princeton SC seem driven to help out and accommodate customers where possible.

Last edited:
I did! I picked up my car today!

My first impressions:

Pickup:
  • Picked mine up in Colma. The people were very friendly and helpful which I appreciated
  • They did a pretty terrible job of washing the car but that was to be expected. Honestly I wish they didn't do a wash but I'm sure it had been sitting outside a while
  • Did a quick walk around and saw no panel gaps. I saw one issue that I thought were deep scratches but luckily turned out to be just some excess glue 🙂
Car:
  • I had to quickly try out drag strip mode and man is it fast! the build up is crazy. I had a perf model 3 which was close to the same 0 to 60 time, but this hit me much more than the 3
  • It drives smoooooooth. Taking around corners you feel way more solid to the ground than I felt in the 3. Although my tires were getting old 🙂
  • I'm hoping it's not a real issue and just some stuff needing break in, but I've had it happen a few times where the automatic trunk would close and not lock shut for some reason. Anyone else seen that? It's happened like 3 times so far
  • The center console and overall interior just feels like a major upgrade to me. I've owned a 3 and a Model S (the last version that had the nose cone) and this feels miles better.
The Yoke:
  • Generally not an issue and in 99% of the cases I actually prefer it. The main reasons are: 1) it's slightly wider which helps with broader shoulders; 2) for bottom hand drivers, the yoke is actually flat rather than round so it feels more ergo friendly
  • I 100% prefer the buttons of the turning signals over the stalk. It's nice not having to take your hands off the wheel to turn them on and it's much easier to just rest your fingers on your button rather than try to lightly pull on a stalk to enable for 3 seconds
  • For people complaining they hit the turning signals when they are driving, I feel they are holding it weird. I definitely have not had that happen once and I've been driving since I got it 🙂
  • I do find the yoke super awkward when you have to hold a turn at 90 degrees. seeing this skinny rectangle in front of you during a turn just messes with my head.
  • #1 issue for me is when releasing out of a turn, you can't just let the wheel slide under your hand. That'll take some getting used to.
Software:
  • Garbage... at least with the version I have. Here's why.
    • When I got the car, the software crashed on me twice. I got it home and started setting everything up then saw there was a software update. I installed it and when I came back out to the car, it had nuked all my settings. Profiles, homelink, bluetooth... everything was reset.
    • The worst part is that it seems to have messed up all of the keys. It no longer sees my phone as a "phone key" and instead marks it as "unknown". The reason this is an issue is because now it doesn't do auto lock when walking away from the car. I've tried repairing a dozen times and it's always the same issue.
    • In my event log I'm also seeing ABS fail earlier in the day as well as a current issue saying it can't locate my car. In my Tesla app, it's also never able to "locate" the car
    • Navigation/maps no longer works after the software update and instead it tells me to be on wifi to get navigation data (even though it is on wifi). Unlike the software of my 3, I can't find where it tells you whether or not it's currently downloading maps data.
For your trunk thing, I’ve seen some people post about the trim around the latch getting bent/hit. I wonder if that’s what’s happening? Check where it latches and see if the plastic around it is all messed up.

Reactions: chromeboy

My first impressions:

Pickup:
  • Picked mine up in Colma. The people were very friendly and helpful which I appreciated
  • They did a pretty terrible job of washing the car but that was to be expected. Honestly I wish they didn't do a wash but I'm sure it had been sitting outside a while
  • Did a quick walk around and saw no panel gaps. I saw one issue that I thought were deep scratches but luckily turned out to be just some excess glue 🙂
Car:
  • I had to quickly try out drag strip mode and man is it fast! the build up is crazy. I had a perf model 3 which was close to the same 0 to 60 time, but this hit me much more than the 3
  • It drives smoooooooth. Taking around corners you feel way more solid to the ground than I felt in the 3. Although my tires were getting old 🙂
  • I'm hoping it's not a real issue and just some stuff needing break in, but I've had it happen a few times where the automatic trunk would close and not lock shut for some reason. Anyone else seen that? It's happened like 3 times so far
  • The center console and overall interior just feels like a major upgrade to me. I've owned a 3 and a Model S (the last version that had the nose cone) and this feels miles better.
The Yoke:
  • Generally not an issue and in 99% of the cases I actually prefer it. The main reasons are: 1) it's slightly wider which helps with broader shoulders; 2) for bottom hand drivers, the yoke is actually flat rather than round so it feels more ergo friendly
  • I 100% prefer the buttons of the turning signals over the stalk. It's nice not having to take your hands off the wheel to turn them on and it's much easier to just rest your fingers on your button rather than try to lightly pull on a stalk to enable for 3 seconds
  • For people complaining they hit the turning signals when they are driving, I feel they are holding it weird. I definitely have not had that happen once and I've been driving since I got it 🙂
  • I do find the yoke super awkward when you have to hold a turn at 90 degrees. seeing this skinny rectangle in front of you during a turn just messes with my head.
  • #1 issue for me is when releasing out of a turn, you can't just let the wheel slide under your hand. That'll take some getting used to.
Software:
    • When I got the car, the software crashed on me twice. I got it home and started setting everything up then saw there was a software update. I installed it and when I came back out to the car, it had nuked all my settings. Profiles, homelink, bluetooth... everything was reset.
    • The worst part is that it seems to have messed up all of the keys. It no longer sees my phone as a "phone key" and instead marks it as "unknown". The reason this is an issue is because now it doesn't do auto lock when walking away from the car. I've tried repairing a dozen times and it's always the same issue.
    • In my event log I'm also seeing ABS fail earlier in the day as well as a current issue saying it can't locate my car. In my Tesla app, it's also never able to "locate" the car
    • Navigation/maps no longer works after the software update and instead it tells me to be on wifi to get navigation data (even though it is on wifi). Unlike the software of my 3, I can't find where it tells you whether or not it's currently downloading maps data.
Same happened to me! I did the OTA software update and all my settings were deleted. Pretty annoying.

But I’ve got to say this car is amazing. More impressed with it everyday even though there definitely are some bugs to work through.

For your trunk thing, I’ve seen some people post about the trim around the latch getting bent/hit. I wonder if that’s what’s happening? Check where it latches and see if the plastic around it is all messed up.
Good call. I now vaguely remember those coming up as well. I just checked and the plastic looks fine, however when I pushed down on the plastic it was clear that the latching hook was off center...

At this point I've spammed probably a dozen issues to Tesla service. They'll have a nice set of things to deal with when they get into the office tomorrow 🙂

Same happened to me! I did the OTA software update and all my settings were deleted. Pretty annoying.

But I’ve got to say this car is amazing. More impressed with it everyday even though there definitely are some bugs to work through.
Glad it wasn't just me! Did it mess up your phone key too? It marked all my keys as "unknown" which makes it so now it doesn't auto lock when I walk away. Repairing the phone doesn't work at all either. I saw some posts on Reddit complaining about the issue

Reactions: Ormond
Glad it wasn't just me! Did it mess up your phone key too? It marked all my keys as "unknown" which makes it so now it doesn't auto lock when I walk away. Repairing the phone doesn't work at all either. I saw some posts on Reddit complaining about the issue
My phone key seems to be fine. Although I did get the new iPhone so I just set that all up so I had to pair my new phone with the car. Everything went smooth with that. I’ve reset all my settings and it didn’t take too long to reconfigure my car to my old settings.

Wow, the all season tires have pretty bad reviews on tire rack.
I read those reviews also. You have to be careful how you interpret them. The specific Continentals for our car are staggered sizes front to rear and they are T1 rated, meaning Tesla specific. They are designed for a heavy EV. The bad reviews are all from ICE vehicles that are not staggered sizes. If they are using an EV tire on an ICE car, they won't perform properly. The ICE vehicles are too light to properly load the tire. Also, it's possible they bought a non-T1 version of the tire, if it exists, meaning the review doesn't apply as it's a tire with different internal structure. Tires for EVs are different. TireRack lists 2 versions of the Pirelli summer tires our cars come with. One is Mercedes non-EV rated and one is Tesla TO rated. Different price, seemingly identical in all other specs, but the Mercedes version is for non-EVs and has different internal construction. Since they don't list an identical non Tesla specific version of the Continental, it is my opinion the bad reviews are caused by people using the wrong tire construction on their ICE vehicles.

Yikes. Your order date, and config is very similar to mine. You're lucky you didn't pay yet.

My SA says i will be 'head of the line' now though, especially since i've paid already. Maybe that will prevent me from being re-scheduled to Feb?
DO NOT WIRE $$. Pay with a cashier's check at time of delivery. He who has the money wins.

Picked mine up after hours in Scottsdale. It was basically dark when I got in. I'm not ocd about anything but fit and finish are quite good. No huge panel gaps that I could see. Car wasn't cleaned very well with some smudges and glue in spots. Front seats look nearly perfect, back are a bit wrinkled.

Msm/black/LR/19s. RN1152, Vin 444. The 125 mile drive to Tucson ate up about 40% of battery. I punched it a few times but didn't drive crazily (I tend to drive like an old person anyway). Unlike anything I've felt before, almost get light headed. Very quiet, the faintest whistle heard over 85 mph, but indrove without any music to listen well. No rattles (as of now). Yoke is basically non issue for 99% of driving, I don't really mind buttons. Driving in dark I hit signal a few times feeling for scroll wheel on left since it was totally dark.

It still didn't calibrate cameras/autopilot on way home. Trickle charging now (got car about 1 month before I expected, won't have my 50 Amp 240 volt option for a few weeks). It updated tonight. Didn't mess with it much. A few crappy pics I took, no glamour shots yet.

Very fun car. 1st EV. Delivered with privacy shelf and all mats.

Area on dash around the "vents" looks a bit rough. Can't see it unless you are basically looking from a super low/close angle that nobody will see.

Attachments

• 20210929_213322.jpg
    20210929_213322.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210929_193813.jpg
    20210929_193813.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210929_185350.jpg
    20210929_185350.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210929_185025.jpg
    20210929_185025.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210929_185002.jpg
    20210929_185002.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210929_190552.jpg
    20210929_190552.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 59
I think I've read a couple dozen horror stories this month, all of which seem way too hard to believe, but here ar TeslaWorld apparently and sadly, it sounds like this is the norm, to include a home delivery to another neighborhood and left.

Why oh why are we begging this company to [pretty please] take our 6 figure checks. Technogenius is indeed a genius; we are the sick ones who are mentally challenged...
You know that feeling you get, “it’ll never happen to me”? I have it with this purchase. Time will tell.

Reactions: Air Wind
Bumped back again this morning from 10/26-11-16 to 11/16-12/6. At least that will 100% be a 2022 model. Was really hoping to get included in the EOQ rush lol.
monkey seems to be prioritizing earlier orders now over later ones, so these moves make sense....despite is being frustrating for those being moved, we earlier order holders are appreciative that some logic seems to be working its way into the process.....

monkey seems to be prioritizing earlier orders now over later ones, so these moves make sense....despite is being frustrating for those being moved, we earlier order holders are appreciative that some logic seems to be working its way into the process.....
Yeah. Can’t argue with that. @MEL-22 and @AKay724 ordered a month before me and I was having an EDD in October. Mine moved to 11:9-11/29 this morning. I actually feel good about this push back.

Reactions: MEL-22 and AKay724
Im hoping mine updates from Blank today to something, and at least a dependable estimate at that. Like many of us there are some critical decisions and steps we would need to do before taking ownership depending on when the car is ready for delivery.
If it is indeed February time frame, i would probably just end up financing at lowest rate and keep 3 cars. If its within the next month or two i would trade in or sell the model 3 finance the difference and stay with 2 cars till maybe the cybertruck comes out or wife wants the X. (getting quotes for Model 3 for more than i paid for it less than a month ago!)

It also depends on the rate i get from DCU i want that 1.24 people been getting if i do finance any of it.

Got that magical text from Tesla yesterday…they have a Black/Black LR with 21” if I want it. This was the original color combination I ordered and having gone back and forth between white and black (I think the car looks awesome in all colors), I took it and will be picking it up today. Apparently, at EOQ, Tesla wont charge you the price increase if you take another configuration…

My first impressions:

Pickup:
Car:
The Yoke:
Software:
Congratulations on your new car! I also had a “phantom “ ABS fault. Had it checked by service Monday and they said it was/would be fixed by firmware update. Hopefully the same for you. Enjoy!