Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just called that number Louiedog posted above and spoke to someone. They told me this should be my final "accurate" delivery window and I should expect a VIN the week of Thanksgiving and delivery 10-14 days after that. They also told me they only delivered a few LR's in Q2 and a few more in Q3, so who knows how accurate the info is lol. I just want my car by 12/3 for a 12/4 road trip, but i doubt its going to happen which means I'm stuck driving the wife's rav4 hybrid. Bleh.
I also called the number to see if they had any more information. they had nothing to say except that they can provide a bunch of info once a VIN is assigned. Until then, they just see the EDD just like we do.

It’s so frustrating that the information shared is so different.

I also called the number to see if they had any more information. they had nothing to say except that they can provide a bunch of info once a VIN is assigned. Until then, they just see the EDD just like we do.

It’s so frustrating that the information shared is so different.
I think the truth is Nobody has any information until the VIN# is assigned. Until then it just depends on who you get on the phone and how much smoke they want to blow up your a^^.

It would not surprise me that many of these people everyone talks to are in high turnover positions too so you may get some new guy that has no clue how the trends work and thinks they are doing you a solid because your EDD date says December so surely you will be getting a VIN in Early December. Meanwhile since they are new have no history of seeing EDD delays, missed EDD's, etc etc. They have no clue and have not been trained on what to properly say.

The truth is nobody knows. we are at the mercy of the machine that plugs in builds at fremont and basically puts the logistical puzzle together filling up semi trucks to go to each delivery center.

this is just my .02. I really hope I am not one of these outliers that takes nearly a year for delivery that is for sure.

What I also do not get is how can they not ramp up S/X deliveries? They have no problem churning out 200K+ 3/Y's but they can't get more than 10K S's out in a quarter? WTF?

I used to recommend Teslas to everyone i know but after this experience i just cant do it anymore. In fact i can only do the opposite and safe them from this retarded show.

Date pushed from 11/16-12/06 to 12/11-12/31 this morning after holding for 5 weeks. Mid May order.

I know others have waited longer. Thats not a reason for me to change my mind. No one should have to wait this long without any communication.

Ioved to Denver after ordering the car. Now that i have to fly to the Bay to get my car in December, i will most likely be cussing out whoever delivers it to me. At this point i have too much anger pent up.

Everything above wouldnt bother me as much if deliveries were fair but they are not! Those who payed the price hike are getting their cars within 2-4 month!! I want to beat the living crap out of whoever set up this *sugar* delivery experience.
Having got back from Denver, Redrocks & Winter Park a couple of weeks ago, this Tesla lover feels quite confident in telling you that you should cancel your reservation and instead pick up a Toyota 4Runner TRD Off-Road premium. Awesome machine for the mountains. You can't take the S off roading!

Having got back from Denver, Redrocks & Winter Park a couple of weeks ago, this Tesla lover feels quite confident in telling you that you should cancel your reservation and instead pick up a Toyota 4Runner TRD Off-Road premium. Awesome machine for the mountains. You can't take the S off roading!
I’ve got a 2014 4Runner limited. Great car. Keeping it when I get my Model S to drive in the winter

Here’s the letter I’d like to send to Elon Musk, but I don’t think he would ever see it if sent through normal channels.

Elon,

Man up! Put your big boy pants on and fix the problems at Tesla.
  • It’s wrong to take people’s money for car reservations and then not fulfill them in the order received. If you are delivering cars based on the idea of “more expensive ones first”, stop it. In the overall scheme of things, the difference in Tesla’s revenue at the end of the year is essentially a rounding error.
  • If you give an Estimated Delivery Date, make it a realistic one. What you have now is a joke.
  • If you need to change the Estimated Delivery Date, tell people what the problem is. If there’s a parts constraint, tell people what it is. If you’re honest with people, then they will understand. They may not like it, but with what everybody’s been through over the last couple of years, they’ll understand. Give that information to your Sales Advisors so that when customers call, everyone gets the correct information, not whatever individual SAs think up on the spur of the moment.
  • Give your customers an easy way to provide feedback on product problems or enhancements. I’ve found out over almost 50 years of working in Engineering, Software Development, Sales and Marketing that one of your most important resources is listening to what your customers are saying. It’s all a part of a continuous product / process improvement cycle.
  • Get a public relations department. They can handle issues before they become a public embarrassment. I know you don’t think much of them, but with the right people, they can save you a world of negative press.
These issues are not hard to fix, but some will take more effort than others. But if you fix these issues, Tesla will go from a good company with great products to a great company with outstanding products!

Here’s the letter I’d like to send to Elon Musk, but I don’t think he would ever see it if sent through normal channels.

Elon,

Man up! Put your big boy pants on and fix the problems at Tesla.
  • It’s wrong to take people’s money for car reservations and then not fulfill them in the order received. If you are delivering cars based on the idea of “more expensive ones first”, stop it. In the overall scheme of things, the difference in Tesla’s revenue at the end of the year is essentially a rounding error.
  • If you give an Estimated Delivery Date, make it a realistic one. What you have now is a joke.
  • If you need to change the Estimated Delivery Date, tell people what the problem is. If there’s a parts constraint, tell people what it is. If you’re honest with people, then they will understand. They may not like it, but with what everybody’s been through over the last couple of years, they’ll understand. Give that information to your Sales Advisors so that when customers call, everyone gets the correct information, not whatever individual SAs think up on the spur of the moment.
  • Give your customers an easy way to provide feedback on product problems or enhancements. I’ve found out over almost 50 years of working in Engineering, Software Development, Sales and Marketing that one of your most important resources is listening to what your customers are saying. It’s all a part of a continuous product / process improvement cycle.
  • Get a public relations department. They can handle issues before they become a public embarrassment. I know you don’t think much of them, but with the right people, they can save you a world of negative press.
These issues are not hard to fix, but some will take more effort than others. But if you fix these issues, Tesla will go from a good company with great products to a great company with outstanding products!
giphy.gif

In solidarity with @Jayhawk74 , I am going to take advantage of the description of Voice Commands on p. 161 of the 2021.32 Manual:
Code:
Tesla is continuously improving the ability of Model S to recognize voice commands.
Tesla captures short voice recordings anonymously.

I will, at least weekly, push the voice command button, and then request that my car:
Code:
F Elon Musk

It will probably generate some chuckles in Fremont.

• Funny
Reactions: cwanja
So Tesla dropped "Long Range" from both the S and X.
Possible a Longe Range (~500 mi) for each is developed to sit between regular and Plaid?

Model 3
Model 3 Long Range
Model 3 Performance

Model Y
Model Y Long Range
Model Y Performance

Model S
Model S Long Range
Model S Plaid

Model X
Model X Long Range
Model X Plaid

Maybe, but nobody knows except Tesla.

I do recall reading somewhere that once you're at the 400-500mile mark for range (we're basically there), the need for more range isn't a priority. It is then better to focus on improvements, battery tech, charging, etc. The new vehicles charge so fast now (150-200 miles in ~15 minutes?) that spending that much time/effort/research more for more range isn't ideal.

There are a lot of EV options out now, many of which have significantly less range than Tesla. The idea of "range anxiety" is becoming less and less of a thing and more folks need to realize that.

It was a "thing" with me for a long time, but objectively speaking, 200-300 miles covers 99% of driving situations. For those 1%, get over the range anxiety and/or EV may actually not be a viable solution for you.

Maybe, but nobody knows except Tesla.

I do recall reading somewhere that once you're at the 400-500mile mark for range (we're basically there), the need for more range isn't a priority. It is then better to focus on improvements, battery tech, charging, etc. The new vehicles charge so fast now (150-200 miles in ~15 minutes?) that spending that much time/effort/research more for more range isn't ideal.

There are a lot of EV options out now, many of which have significantly less range than Tesla. The idea of "range anxiety" is becoming less and less of a thing and more folks need to realize that.

It was a "thing" with me for a long time, but objectively speaking, 200-300 miles covers 99% of driving situations. For those 1%, get over the range anxiety and/or EV may actually not be a viable solution for you.
great points. will be interesting to see if they feel compelled to offer something with range that matches Lucid. And I agree with you, 400 is enough for me. The 250 mi that I had on my 2017 S75D was workable...thought I am looking forward to the 400 :)

What I also do not get is how can they not ramp up S/X deliveries? They have no problem churning out 200K+ 3/Y's but they can't get more than 10K S's out in a quarter? WTF?
They've got 4 lines at Fremont (2, 3, 4, and 4.5) doing the 3 and Y, plus about 50k coming from Giga Shanghai. Versus 1 shared line for all worldwide S and X production.

Clearly the retooling they did at the beginning of the year has not gone well. But the resource allocation is definitely in the 3 and Y's favor.

It hasn't been announced as such, but my hope is with Giga Texas up and running next year, they can migrate line 2 to S and X production again and start meeting demand.

They've got 4 lines at Fremont (2, 3, 4, and 4.5) doing the 3 and Y, plus about 50k coming from Giga Shanghai. Versus 1 shared line for all worldwide S and X production.

Clearly the retooling they did at the beginning of the year has not gone well. But the resource allocation is definitely in the 3 and Y's favor.

It hasn't been announced as such, but my hope is with Giga Texas up and running next year, they can migrate line 2 to S and X production again and start meeting demand.
I think this is why they bumped the Model X from October back to June.

Thanks for this. I know nothing about manufacturing. In my head I’m picturing one line that they just take turns churning out the different models. 😂.

I have no idea the amount of retooling that is required and what is possible to do but I selfishly wish they would shut a 3/Y line down and crank out some more S/Y.

They are never going to catch up at this pace and are going to lose a ton of business. By the time they catch up the S/X will need another refresh. :(

I've been following multiple threads, but wanted to update everyone on the status of my July 4th order (RN11525), White/White/19s. I'm located in Las Vegas and was had an EDD 12/14-1/4 which was holding steady. Today, I logged into my account and I'm now seeing EDD 11/13-11/27. I still do not have a VIN. I don't know if this is the logistics algorithm changing temporarily. but will update with any changes. I'm looking forward to my first Tesla and hope it will be a 2022.