Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soo started one of those friendly chats aka, undercover intel collection with a SA at a tesla snow room. Small talk like yea I have a S on order.. nice improvements blah blah… hey, while I’m here can you check on my order from back in July… “sure!” Bang bang on the keys.. ohh man, the way you’re positioned for a build date of end of Jan, which means the earliest you will see your car mid to late February for sure.. well *sugar*.. I said. Hey can you look in your magic inventory box? -yea let’s see, what are your requirements?
..um as close to what I have on order. Red/white Long Range. Bang bang on keys.. nope no long ranges at all.. however I do see a few red/white PLAIDs close by that can be shipped… eyebrow raises up.. you don’t say… blah blah blah.. creates new order, assigns the red/white PLAID VIN to new order. (08Nov birth date)Keeps the long range order.. have two weeks to figure out my life… boy the wife is gonna be mad.
I’m in a very similar situation. Got MYP with EDD of late December which I ordered to wait for MSLR delivering March-April 2022. Also got a Plaid X for my wife with July 22 delivery. If Tesla wasn’t so hard to get ahold of then I would have probably switched to MS Plaid by now, but I really don’t want to spend the extra 35k+ on it. I keep going back and forth on LR or Plaid.

Can we get a tax credit on the Model S? I thought it only applied to sedans under a certain price - even the M3 performance costs too much to qualify with the price increases. But truthfully, I haven’t read what has changed to the EV tax credit for a couple weeks.
Yeah, I was totally wrong and misread the limits on the federal credit. My bad.

Thank you for your response (very helpful). This is my first Tesla… like all others, very excited yet frustrated with the lack of communication (not enough to cancel of course).
I live in Jacksonville my friend, and have a MSLR on order since June. This is Tesla #6 for me, so I’m quite used to the craziness that is “pre delivery waiting“. Best advice I can give you is the same everyone else is likely too, once you have a VIN your date will likely lock in. Mine has changed about 9 times from October to March and currently is sitting at Feb2- Mar2. Typically, east coast cars are delivered in the second month of each quarter but that often does have variances. I believe (someone correct me if im wrong) that Tesla builds the cars in batches of “like” cars. For example this batch may be all black/cream LR w/19s. So likely you will get a VIN based on your configuration, not your order date. Hope this helps!
st

When the cars are shipped from Fremont, what's the state of the battery? Is it charged to some level? If so, does anyone know how much? Just curious.
Can't answer for those shipped across the country, but here in Sacramento there's a new Tesla Store that took over a former Volvo dealership - they've been open as a service center for 6 months but will only start delivering at the facility next month. I was told the holdup is that they're waiting on permitting for Superchargers at the site to be able to charge the cars while they wait for delivery; when they open in December and until the Superchargers are in place the factory will be charging cars headed to the new facility to 70% (we're 90 minutes away) so they can be topped off overnight with wall chargers.

Soo started one of those friendly chats aka, undercover intel collection with a SA at a tesla snow room. Small talk like yea I have a S on order.. nice improvements blah blah… hey, while I’m here can you check on my order from back in July… “sure!” Bang bang on the keys.. ohh man, the way you’re positioned for a build date of end of Jan, which means the earliest you will see your car mid to late February for sure.. well *sugar*.. I said. Hey can you look in your magic inventory box? -yea let’s see, what are your requirements?
..um as close to what I have on order. Red/white Long Range. Bang bang on keys.. nope no long ranges at all.. however I do see a few red/white PLAIDs close by that can be shipped… eyebrow raises up.. you don’t say… blah blah blah.. creates new order, assigns the red/white PLAID VIN to new order. (08Nov birth date)Keeps the long range order.. have two weeks to figure out my life… boy the wife is gonna be mad.
So update to this,

Snagged this red/white plaid on Sunday evening. When I got home, wife was actually all for it and kept asking me what the specs were and how fast it was (I know she’s collecting intel to send to her friends to brag about) so all is well at home.

Before bed Sunday night, Applied for financing through tesla for the very first time and asked for 100% of the value of the car. No instant offer. Went to bed thinking i would get countered offer. Largest auto loan on credit was $80k for my last model X through my bank. Woke up to the email of my credit decision. Approved for the full amount at their best rate! (US BANK) Brooo… it’s a sign I tell yea.. was not expecting that at all!

This afternoon, got a txt to schedule delivery… wtf.. already? Dude at the store said it would be at least a few weeks. Showed earliest delivery this Thursday… like crap.. it’s starting to seem real but doesn’t at the same time.. I set it for Saturday(latest) to ensure all ducks are in order. Now, I need to sell my performance model 3… fast. Waiting on tesla trade in… anywhere else i should try to get an appraisal?

So update to this,

Snagged this red/white plaid on Sunday evening. When I got home, wife was actually all for it and kept asking me what the specs were and how fast it was (I know she’s collecting intel to send to her friends to brag about) so all is well at home.

Before bed Sunday night, Applied for financing through tesla for the very first time and asked for 100% of the value of the car. No instant offer. Went to bed thinking i would get countered offer. Largest auto loan on credit was $80k for my last model X through my bank. Woke up to the email of my credit decision. Approved for the full amount at their best rate! (US BANK) Brooo… it’s a sign I tell yea.. was not expecting that at all!

This afternoon, got a txt to schedule delivery… wtf.. already? Dude at the store said it would be at least a few weeks. Showed earliest delivery this Thursday… like crap.. it’s starting to seem real but doesn’t at the same time.. I set it for Saturday(latest) to ensure all ducks are in order. Now, I need to sell my performance model 3… fast. Waiting on tesla trade in… anywhere else i should try to get an appraisal?

I haven't sold a Tesla yet but I did just sell my daily driver Ford Edge to Carmax a week ago and they gave me about 20% over what other area dealers offered (including my Ford dealer). You can get an easy offer online from both Carmax and Carvana. My Carvana offer was a few hundred under what Carmax offered. In retrospect, I would have saved a lot of time selling to Carvana since they come out and pick it up.

I also learned the hard way not to do this on a Saturday as it took up most of my day. But I went home with a check for what they offered online and no undercut or haggle.

So update to this,

That’s insanely fast. Do they have bunch of 2021 Plaids sitting around everywhere?

That’s insanely fast. Do they have bunch of 2021 Plaids sitting around everywhere?
Actually, yes… lol if you go to a showroom and ask nicely if they have any inventory cars on their internal system, they can check and see if any is in your region, they can even check other parts of the US if you ask and they can ship it to your local service center for $1000. On their Internal system, non of those cars show up on teslas public website as inventory. Because it was never meant for inventory. Those are cars that were delivered but buyers backed out of change of mind ect. So they either get matched to someone else’s order or, you match it to your account. There were 3 red with white interior plaids, all built last week that were ready to be snagged up or rematched to someone else. I assume the end of the year, we will start to see more of these since folks are unmatching their VINs to wait for a 2022 car.

Actually, yes… lol if you go to a showroom and ask nicely if they have any inventory cars on their internal system, they can check and see if any is in your region, they can even check other parts of the US if you ask and they can ship it to your local service center for $1000. On their Internal system, non of those cars show up on teslas public website as inventory. Because it was never meant for inventory. Those are cars that were delivered but buyers backed out of change of mind ect. So they either get matched to someone else’s order or, you match it to your account. There were 3 red with white interior plaids, all built last week that were ready to be snagged up or rematched to someone else. I assume the end of the year, we will start to see more of these since folks are unmatching their VINs to wait for a 2022 car.
Yea, Tesla will probably flood the public inventory around early or mid December.

Reactions: Pdubs and BruinIvy