Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally got vax'd yesterday morning (J&J) Woke up in the middle of the night with terrible terrible chills, fever, body aches. Had my delivery scheduled at noon today. There was only one thing that would make me leave the house, and thats to pick up my car! Just got home and put her in the garage 😃

Some thoughts: (my first Tesla)
- build quality is meh. Heard alot about this and was hoping it was resolved with the refresh, but i guess not. Panel gaps on the rear trunk are off by a little bit. If you casually close the passenger doors they will not fully latch. Need to close the door with a purposeful amount of force to latch them. The frunk is very difficult to latch. Need to push down pretty hard with two hands. Overall, the car is nowhere near as solid as I would expect for the price.
- Does not come with floor mats?! Like really?
- Its super quick, especially on insane mode. Very fun to drive!
- The yoke is interesting. Will definitely take some getting used to. I was making a left turn off the freeway offramp and 'missed' the wheel since naturally i went for the top of the wheel sometimes.
- sound system is nice. I'll probably end up adding a proper sub at some point.
- I can't skip tracks from the screen when i'm playing music from my phone (apple music). I can see the tracks, but need to chose off my phone.
- the car was dirty on delivery. Not terribly, but definitely wasn't clean. The center compartment sliding wood door has some type of residue on it, nothing serious, but still. Interior was generally a little dusty.
- the leather tesla cap in the center of the steering wheel has some sort of raised wrinkle in it that won't rub out.

Those are my initial thoughts after a quick inspection and driving home (and getting back in bed).

So I finally got vax'd yesterday morning (J&J) Woke up in the middle of the night with terrible terrible chills, fever, body aches. Had my delivery scheduled at noon today. There was only one thing that would make me leave the house, and thats to pick up my car! Just got home and put her in the garage 😃

Some thoughts: (my first Tesla)
- build quality is meh. Heard alot about this and was hoping it was resolved with the refresh, but i guess not. Panel gaps on the rear trunk are off by a little bit. If you casually close the passenger doors they will not fully latch. Need to close the door with a purposeful amount of force to latch them. The frunk is very difficult to latch. Need to push down pretty hard with two hands. Overall, the car is nowhere near as solid as I would expect for the price.
- Does not come with floor mats?! Like really?
- Its super quick, especially on insane mode. Very fun to drive!
- The yoke is interesting. Will definitely take some getting used to. I was making a left turn off the freeway offramp and 'missed' the wheel since naturally i went for the top of the wheel sometimes.
- sound system is nice. I'll probably end up adding a proper sub at some point.
- I can't skip tracks from the screen when i'm playing music from my phone (apple music). I can see the tracks, but need to chose off my phone.
- the car was dirty on delivery. Not terribly, but definitely wasn't clean. The center compartment sliding wood door has some type of residue on it, nothing serious, but still. Interior was generally a little dusty.
- the leather tesla cap in the center of the steering wheel has some sort of raised wrinkle in it that won't rub out.

Those are my initial thoughts after a quick inspection and driving home (and getting back in bed).
  • The latching will improve as you break it in.
  • Call your delivery center. Should come with carpet mats.
  • The raised wrinkle is probably the ‘worm’. It’s pretty much in all vehicles now. Not a defect.

Scheduled for pickup Wednesday...have a 2021 VIN...semi tempted to release the VIN for 2022, but more excited to just finally have it. Someone made the good point about coming out potentially ahead because your mileage will look better, but I dunno....why can't anything be easy in this process??

Anyone in Vegas free Wednesday to provide extra eyes?

A few updates to share since I last posted here.

Took delivery of my LR on 10/23. Still getting used to the Yoke, like it on the highway, less so in crowded conditions like the parking garage at work. Slowly getting the muscle memory for the buttons - I drove my 2013 P85 for the first time in almost a month to CarMax yesterday and to Shift today and found myself wanting to push buttons instead of using the stalk, so my brain is clearly 'shifting' over...

Held on to my P85 until today in case I needed it for any major service issues with the new car, but the LR has been solid so I sold my P85 (66k miles, great shape) today to Shift. Got estimated offers from Carvana, CarMax and Shift. Carmax offered $31, Carvana about $34k, Shift $35,600. Took it to their depot here in Sacramento and got $400 extra for bringing it to them and selling it today, so an even $36k. Nearly twice what KBB said earlier this year when I started to think about replacing it. Used car values are crazy right now. The person I dealt with said they'd likely sell it locally within a week or two for $1-2k above what I sold it to them for. Shift was seamless but I recommend getting several estimates, YMMV.

Currently on Software 2021.31.103. Haven't received a push of new software since purchase. Will see whether update happens soon.

Double checked the USB-C ports today (hadn't gotten around to checking until today), they work fine and charge a phone that's plugged into a cable so they're powered as well.

Delivery was a bit rushed and on a rainy day (for which we're thankful here in Northern California). Build quality seems good, I'm not going out and measuring panel gaps with a micrometer or anything, but nothing obvious to me. Front passenger door needs to be more forcibly closed but that's easing up and less force needed each time I use it.

No rattles like my P85 when it was delivered... took months to isolate those back in early 2014. There were some missing clips for some of the interior trim pieces!

Clearly needed better cleaning before delivery with some removal of adhesive, cleaning inside of windows (which had lots of haze from degassing), etc... plan to take it for good detailing and ceramic treatment next weekend.

Compared to my 2013 P85 much more refined, much quieter, love the responsiveness. Was able to drive down to the Bay area a few weekends ago and back without range anxiety and will do so again for Thanksgiving. Will share pics once it's cleaned up and ceramic treated.

JamieB

Just spoke to the adviser. So apparently there is a shortage of parts and it was known that the cars are being delivered without mats, screens, etc. Known to them, but nobody bothered to tell me. They said all those things will he sent to me once available. They will also give me a free black license plate frame for the inconvenience lol. No ETA at this time.

Picture of me and my son picking up the car.

Attachments

• 76D7382F-DE6D-401B-AB63-8618EA62655C.jpeg
    76D7382F-DE6D-401B-AB63-8618EA62655C.jpeg
    521.6 KB · Views: 82
Scheduled for pickup Wednesday...have a 2021 VIN...semi tempted to release the VIN for 2022, but more excited to just finally have it. Someone made the good point about coming out potentially ahead because your mileage will look better, but I dunno....why can't anything be easy in this process??

Anyone in Vegas free Wednesday to provide extra eyes?
Did u just get a vin while EDD’s still feb - mar? That’s awesome.

Reactions: Vinny860