Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure I follow you.. If I wanna make the center seat an armrest I click the button to unlatch it from the back of the actual bench or whatever and it is tipped down. That is how it is designed to be. However, my problem is that when I try to push the middle seat back up (so it can be used as an actual seat), it goes up but won't latch. That leaves it so if the driver brakes hard, the middle seat will just fly down into the "tipped" position. From what I can understand it looks like just the latch is broken. I could be wrong however.

Left my delivery appointment 30 minutes ago and drove home. Initial thoughts:
The built quality is flawless. I took a long time inspecting every inch of the car and I found nothing wrong. It’s perfect.
The delivery experience was fantastic. The Columbus Ohio Tesla team is the best.
I don’t like the yoke, I love the yoke. By the time I completed my 20 minute ride home I was used to it.
I do not miss the stalks. Again 10 minutes with the car and I figured out the buttons no problem. For me there’s no inconvenience whatsoever using any of the buttons.
I’m coming from a 2017 model S 75D. The build quality of thus is infinitely better. Much quieter, much more responsive on the road, and the speed is absolutely insane. There’s no way in hell I would trust myself with a Plaid. That would be way too scary.
Off to the ceramic paint protection shop right now. Will post pictures when that service is done. Good luck to everybody getting your cars and getting your VINs.
I waited 9 1/2 months for this. It was 100% worth the wait.

View attachment 739746So, I had some time this morning between kid drop off and my work schedule so I went to go snoop around for my car. I was told it was was set for 12/1 delivery and my pickup is set for 12/3 at 1:00. I thought there was a chance it might be on the lot waiting to go in for cleaning. Also, I’ve come to expect the worst from Tesla and have been dreading some “lost in transit” message. I really just needed to know it was actually here.

After looking around for about 5 miniutes I found my car parked in the back charging up for a day of diagnostics and cleaning!

Clearly very dirty and covered in tape/stickers but it’s real and it’s here!

I didn’t spend a whole lot of time inspecting it, as that is what tomorrow is for, but I did a quick look at panel gaps and all seems fine. I looked at the seats and a bit of wrinkling, but not in odd places and nothing worth fussing about. The car has the Pirelli Zeros, which I’d rather have the all seasons, but extreme cold is not common around here.

@tbaud the black/cream combo looks so good.

Speaking of, I saw a number of plaids and LRs on the lot of all colors, but there was definitely a lot of cream interiors. Looks like they had a big batch of those. The blue/cream looks awesome too.

1 more sleep!!
Thank you! Hard to believe it's really happening.

Left my delivery appointment 30 minutes ago and drove home. Initial thoughts:
The built quality is flawless. I took a long time inspecting every inch of the car and I found nothing wrong. It’s perfect.
The delivery experience was fantastic. The Columbus Ohio Tesla team is the best.
I don’t like the yoke, I love the yoke. By the time I completed my 20 minute ride home I was used to it.
I do not miss the stalks. Again 10 minutes with the car and I figured out the buttons no problem. For me there’s no inconvenience whatsoever using any of the buttons.
I’m coming from a 2017 model S 75D. The build quality of thus is infinitely better. Much quieter, much more responsive on the road, and the speed is absolutely insane. There’s no way in hell I would trust myself with a Plaid. That would be way too scary.
Off to the ceramic paint protection shop right now. Will post pictures when that service is done. Good luck to everybody getting your cars and getting your VINs.
I waited 9 1/2 months for this. It was 100% worth the wait.
Congratulations on your delivery! Glad to hear your car didn't have any issues. Look forward to the pictures!

On the new S that I received a week ago, I can't find any USB port in the front console. I read the manual, and they are supposed to be at the rear wall of the front console. Does anyone have this problem, or did I just miss it?

Mine are absolutely there. Have a picture inside the deep well of the front console? Its the one under the cupholders, not the arm rest.

Congratulations on your delivery! Glad to hear your car didn't have any issues. Look forward to the pictures!
At the ceramic paint coating shop for coating and spoiler installation. Get it back Saturday. Will post more pics then. Drove it 30 miles to the paint shop. Wow what a car.

Attachments

• A131ADF3-4342-4F47-9402-F0997278D5FB.jpeg
    A131ADF3-4342-4F47-9402-F0997278D5FB.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 94
  • FD947669-9AF1-4141-BA50-9F693C59E760.jpeg
    FD947669-9AF1-4141-BA50-9F693C59E760.jpeg
    376 KB · Views: 76
  • 7E43CA48-3F63-4223-973D-9091DD0670FD.jpeg
    7E43CA48-3F63-4223-973D-9091DD0670FD.jpeg
    410.9 KB · Views: 64
  • AABE4547-CD99-4850-A25F-0FE0EE005DCD.jpeg
    AABE4547-CD99-4850-A25F-0FE0EE005DCD.jpeg
    428.3 KB · Views: 71
The Pirelli tires used on the 19 inch wheels are a max performance summer tire. Pirelli will not warranty them against cracking in temperatures below 45 degrees. I absolutely stand by my warning about stopping distances near freezing temperature. These are not "regular" summer tires. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273. I had found a chart on the Michelin site that references the increased stopping distances for the Michelin summer tires that I have seen on some of the new model s LR instead of the Pirellis. The OP lives in or near Boston MA where winter temperatures will get very low. Below 20 and even down to 0 or lower is not unusual. I have not put very much credence in anything Consumer reports says about anything automotive in over 30 years. Both Michelin and Pirelli state their high performance summer tires should not be used below 45 - 46 degrees. My own family experience with Corvette and Mercedes on high performance summer tires in winter conditions near Lake George NY revealed they were dangerous below 45 degrees and totally undrivable above 25 mph below 35 - 40 degrees. The OP needs to be very careful and on December 29, when he is scheduled to have the tires switched, he should consider having the car flat bedded to the service center if the temps are below 15 - 20 degrees.
Noted, but I still stand by my experiences, limited that they are, that careful driving at appropriate speeds, will not destroy the standard tires when operated outside of their normal operational temperature range.

Pirelli's web guidance is limited on this, but I found no descriptions as to what they, specifically, consider to be their Ultrahigh Performance Tires. If this was a large an issue as suggested, they would provide more guidance, so I posit that it's not as large an issue as some are making it out to be.

At the end of the day, the 19" tires are the base, standard tire, selected by Tesla . . . is Tesla providing them on cars delivered to cold weather locations out of a desire to kill their customers?

Of course not.

Also: in the real world has anyone we read even ONE report, on ANY forum thread, demonstrating any of the extreme outcomes feared by some here?

Not to my knowledge . . . .

That said, YES, for normal, daily operation in extremely cold climates, the use of appropriate tires is recommended, if not required.

Let's see what the future holds, but I suspect this is much smoke where there is no fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pdubs
Hi everyone, I FINALLY GOT MY CAR!!! This thing is INSANE! I can't stop thinking about it and am driving it every free second I have. And when I'm not driving in it, I'm sitting in it in my garage. 🤪

I'm coming from a 2013 P85, which is the only car I've owned in the last ~9 years and the Refresh S is an enormous upgrade. It's making me realize I probably should have upgraded my car sooner, but that 2013 S85 has been so good to me that I never felt the need until recently. Anyway, with that context in mind, here are some initial impressions (none of which are new to this forum, but I'll share anyway):

• Mine is an NF build and the exterior build quality is great overall, though I will admit that my standards aren't super high. (I have a young kid and I live in a dense city, so I figure this thing is going to get beaten up inside and out pretty quickly). Panel gaps are quite good. The gap on the left side of the trunk is ever so slightly wider than on the right, but to me it's not really noticeable unless you're really staring at it. Paint looks great. The only weird thing is that is that the paint on the hood feels rough compared to the rest of the car. I wonder if maybe they just didn't wax it or something? Anything I should be concerned about?
  • Interior build quality also looks great to me. The rear door panels are well aligned. There is some wrinkling on the seats, but not enough to bother me (you can see it in the attached pics) since they are going to get wrinkled over time anyway. There are a few very small stains here and there on the "leather." I'll just see if I can wipe them away. You can't really see them unless you shine a bright light and are looking closely.
  • The rear window has some distortion along the very bottom--again not enough to bother me. Other windows seem fine.
  • Even though the SAs told me I'd get all seasons, they delivered it to me with the Pirelli tires, which I think are the summer tires unless I'm mistaken. This is going to be an issue for me since I spend a lot of time in Tahoe. Anyone know what winter tires to get?
  • Car came with floor mats and the trunk privacy cover.
  • Car updated last night to the latest software.
  • The yoke is totally not a big deal for me. I've done all sorts of turns, three pointers, parallel parking, all with no problem. I was super worried about it after reading all the comments on these forums, but I adjusted almost immediately. And I find it super fun. I'm going to hate driving cars with steering wheels.
  • The turn signals and shifting on the screen are somewhat more problematic. With the turn signals in particular, it's hard to use them without looking down at the yoke. Maybe I'll figure it out over time. But definitely not a deal breaker for me. The yoke is super fun and makes up for it. Shifting on the screen takes a little getting used to but no biggie.
  • Since when did they downgrade the included charging cable to 32 amps max? That's a bummer. At least I have the mobile connector from my 2013, which supports 40 amps.
  • I am blown away by the acceleration, quietness of the cabin, the handling, the comfort on our terrible CA roads, and pretty much everything, especially compared to my 2013 S85.
I'm super happy after my ten month wait. Thanks to all of you for keeping me sane and well entertained. For those of you who are still waiting, it's totally worth it! Super fun car. Attaching some pics. Apologies that I'm not the best photographer.
Stunningly beautiful car, enjoy, can't wait to get my MSM LR hopefully later this month. Thanks for sharing.

Hi everyone, I FINALLY GOT MY CAR!!! This thing is INSANE! I can't stop thinking about it and am driving it every free second I have. And when I'm not driving in it, I'm sitting in it in my garage. 🤪

I'm coming from a 2013 P85, which is the only car I've owned in the last ~9 years and the Refresh S is an enormous upgrade. It's making me realize I probably should have upgraded my car sooner, but that 2013 S85 has been so good to me that I never felt the need until recently. Anyway, with that context in mind, here are some initial impressions (none of which are new to this forum, but I'll share anyway):

• Mine is an NF build and the exterior build quality is great overall, though I will admit that my standards aren't super high. (I have a young kid and I live in a dense city, so I figure this thing is going to get beaten up inside and out pretty quickly). Panel gaps are quite good. The gap on the left side of the trunk is ever so slightly wider than on the right, but to me it's not really noticeable unless you're really staring at it. Paint looks great. The only weird thing is that is that the paint on the hood feels rough compared to the rest of the car. I wonder if maybe they just didn't wax it or something? Anything I should be concerned about?
  • Interior build quality also looks great to me. The rear door panels are well aligned. There is some wrinkling on the seats, but not enough to bother me (you can see it in the attached pics) since they are going to get wrinkled over time anyway. There are a few very small stains here and there on the "leather." I'll just see if I can wipe them away. You can't really see them unless you shine a bright light and are looking closely.
  • The rear window has some distortion along the very bottom--again not enough to bother me. Other windows seem fine.
  • Even though the SAs told me I'd get all seasons, they delivered it to me with the Pirelli tires, which I think are the summer tires unless I'm mistaken. This is going to be an issue for me since I spend a lot of time in Tahoe. Anyone know what winter tires to get?
  • Car came with floor mats and the trunk privacy cover.
  • Car updated last night to the latest software.
  • The yoke is totally not a big deal for me. I've done all sorts of turns, three pointers, parallel parking, all with no problem. I was super worried about it after reading all the comments on these forums, but I adjusted almost immediately. And I find it super fun. I'm going to hate driving cars with steering wheels.
  • The turn signals and shifting on the screen are somewhat more problematic. With the turn signals in particular, it's hard to use them without looking down at the yoke. Maybe I'll figure it out over time. But definitely not a deal breaker for me. The yoke is super fun and makes up for it. Shifting on the screen takes a little getting used to but no biggie.
  • Since when did they downgrade the included charging cable to 32 amps max? That's a bummer. At least I have the mobile connector from my 2013, which supports 40 amps.
  • I am blown away by the acceleration, quietness of the cabin, the handling, the comfort on our terrible CA roads, and pretty much everything, especially compared to my 2013 S85.
I'm super happy after my ten month wait. Thanks to all of you for keeping me sane and well entertained. For those of you who are still waiting, it's totally worth it! Super fun car. Attaching some pics. Apologies that I'm not the best photographer.
Damn. That is quite the upgrade. Must be night/day better. The old P85 seats were rock hard!

Noted, but I still stand by my experiences, limited that they are, that careful driving at appropriate speeds, will not destroy the standard tires when operated outside of their normal operational temperature range.

Pirelli's web guidance is limited on this, but I found no descriptions as to what they, specifically, consider to be their Ultrahigh Performance Tires. If this was a large an issue as suggested, they would provide more guidance, so I posit that it's not as large an issue as some are making it out to be.

At the end of the day, the 19" tires are the base, standard tire, selected by Tesla . . . is Tesla providing them on cars delivered to cold weather locations out of a desire to kill their customers

Of course not.

Have we read even ONE report on ANY forum demonstrating any of the extreme outcomes feared by some here?

None that I've read . . . .

That said, YES, for normal, daily operation in extremely cold climates, the use of appropriate tires is recommended, if not required.

Let's see what the future holds, but I suspect this is much smoke where there is no fire.
The amount of damage that these summer tires may sustain at low temperatures is a secondary issue. The significant loss of traction for stopping and turning is the main concern. What you are calling the base standard tire is anything but. These are extremely high performance tires that also come on the Plaid model with 19 inch wheels. They have to be very sticky to allow the incredible level of acceleration with 1020 HP. Of course Tesla is not trying to kill their customers, but people who live in cold climates and operate high performance vehicles are aware of the limitations and often have 2 sets of wheels, one for summer, one for winter to allow safe operation all year round. I know people who just don't drive their summer tire shod vehicles in cold weather. They have a different vehicle for cold seasonal use. I'm lazy and happily settle for all season tires which I have used without issues for decades. As you say, we'll see how this pans out.

At the end of the day, the 19" tires are the base, standard tire, selected by Tesla . . . is Tesla providing them on cars delivered to cold weather locations out of a desire to kill their customers

Of course not.

Have we read even ONE report on ANY forum demonstrating any of the extreme outcomes feared by some here?

None that I've read . . . .

Their warranty specifically states they won't cover the tires if they are used in low ambient temps. I think this is the concern is that the compound gets hard, cracks, and blows out. Also I can tell you from first hand experience these tires are a death trap in inclement weather. I drove my MYP with winter tires for about a month because my tsportline wheels got delayed and frequently felt like i was driving on a hockey pucks. To each their own though.

• " Tire damage and surface cracks due to use in low ambient temperatures (except in
    winter and all-season Pirelli tires as defined in the applicable Pirelli Product Catalog)."
Also, here is their specific instructions for UHP Summer tires:
"
4. UHP Summer Tires
The special tread compounds formulated for Ultra High Performance (UHP) summer tires are optimized for maximum dry and wet performance in warm temperatures. The compounds in these tires will have decreased performance, such as lateral and braking traction, at temperatures below 45° F (7°C) or when driving on snow or ice. In addition, they can lose flexibility and may develop random surface cracks at very cold temperatures; therefore extra care should be used in handling tires. All Season or winter tires should be installed for use at temperatures below 45° F (7°C), UHP summer tires are not recommended for lower temperature conditions."

From their warranty documentation

Is there another manufacturer where people expect different tires to be delivered on the car based on part of the country and season?
I think we expect to know what the tires will be. Its random what you get. Normally you order the specific type of tires along with the car. Like 20" all season or w/e. Tesla just delivers w/e the want based on a whim.

Also, my SA said my car will come with A/S tires, so if it doesn't i expect them to rectify that.

Reactions: GrnSqrl and roc-noc