Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered same day and my EDD is not until March-April...
Could be the FSD $$ (your sig doesn't indicate), and/or the fact that I had been listed as a cash buyer (because I forgot to change it when I decided to take out a 3rd party loan), or maybe it's because I'm local, or, uh... I visited the Fremont showroom for MS and M3 test drives just before the Pandemic started, so I've been on their books longer? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hope you get updated soon.

I have a lot to catch up on, but there seems to be a lot of hassle clearly identifying the major revisions of the MS. Like I noticed some other sites (still) use the Model S Refresh or Facelift to refer to the 2016-2017 exterior changes. Nothing wrong with that, but...

From the Audi and Porsche world (and maybe VW?) I'm used to seeing things like a 1985.5 or 2005.5 indicator for a model that had major changes mid-year. I know Tesla is constantly making small changes, but it seems like 2021.0 and 2021.5 would at least clarify the 2017-2021 vs. 2021 Refresh.

Nothing wrong with "2021+" if it gets enough momentum.

I'm amongst the recent batch of VINs released recently.
VIN NF461 received today - Ordered 6/1/21, RN 1152 / MSM / Black / 19"/ No FSD - 30 min away from Fremont factory.
My EDD was 12/6-12/17 then changed today to 12/7 - 12/12 with VIN.

After having many false EDD alarms, I changed by payment to cash until I got the VIN to prevent credit pulls. Once I got the VIN today, I called Tesla and had them add the financing option back to the account I was able to apply for and get loan approved within 20 min.

Awaiting delivery appointment scheduling....

Good luck to all in the waiting room.
May we ask about the APR?

I think there's some confusion here. I'm quite sure that there are no dimension changes between the refreshed 2021 vs. 2022 LR and plaid models.
Some of the vendors were still selling the non-refresh model mats as 2021 mats. But if you buy floor mats for a 2021 refreshed model, it should perfectly fit the 2022 models. Source - I have a 2022 model delivered and the 2021 mats perfectly fit - 2021-2022 Tesla Model S Floor Mats Interior Liners (Plaid and Long Range)
This mat set from Tesmanian was the one I had mentioned in my post and is interested. Shipping is free unlike WT and little cheaper too.

If you don't mind having your money tied up in a warranty, it's not a bad option. I bought one for my 2020 Model S thinking I'd keep that car for 6 years also, but changed my mind when the new Refreshed MS came out and I discovered my 2020 was worth a premium on the used market. Tesla will fully refund the warranty cost if you cancel it at any point during the first 4 years, so there's not much risk in getting it now at the discounted price, and then reevaluate when you get close to the 4 year point whether the car seems reliable enough to forego the warranty or not. If you sell it, it can be a nice selling feature or you can cancel it and get a refund.

Most people will say the extended warranties are a pretty bad investment overall, and that you'd be better off putting the $4k into TSLA stock today... I can understand that philosophy (my TSLA stock has done REALLY well these past few years, as I'm sure most of on this forum appreciate)...
Thank you for the insight. I just looked up the Tesla extended warranty and it seems only model S built before February of 2021 are eligible, so it may be a moot point.

Thank you for the insight. I just looked up the Tesla extended warranty and it seems only model S built before February of 2021 are eligible, so it may be a moot point.
I did not know that! With the rapid pace of change in the EV market, it seems really unlikely I'll keep my new MSLR long enough to need an extended warranty, so no biggie to me. I don't think Tesla really liked selling the warranties anyway, so it doesn't surprise me they have now stopped. There are definitely other warranty companies that still offer them, though.

Reactions: rdmdriving
Anyone have thoughts on the Tesla extended warranty? We have 6 months from de!ivery to add a few years onto the standard warranty. I have only leased cars for the last 20 years or so. They get turned in well before any warranty expires. I am mainly concerned with things like the suspension system. I am planning to keep the car for about 6 years.
My opinion? It's not worth the cost, especially if you factor in the cost, but take that same amount of cash and place it into a conservative investment (I series bonds are over 7% right now) over that period of time, to use for potential repair costs. Also, the suspension system is generally speaking, not that uncommon to other cars. If a ball joint, CV boot, or even air shock or compressor needs replacement, costs arent necessarily as high as some fear. If out of warranty and if the SC has a high repair price, many independent shops can repair fairly easily.

Last edited:
If you don't mind having your money tied up in a warranty, it's not a bad option. I bought one for my 2020 Model S thinking I'd keep that car for 6 years also, but changed my mind when the new Refreshed MS came out and I discovered my 2020 was worth a premium on the used market. Tesla will fully refund the warranty cost if you cancel it at any point during the first 4 years, so there's not much risk in getting it now at the discounted price, and then reevaluate when you get close to the 4 year point whether the car seems reliable enough to forego the warranty or not. If you sell it, it can be a nice selling feature or you can cancel it and get a refund.

Most people will say the extended warranties are a pretty bad investment overall, and that you'd be better off putting the $4k into TSLA stock today... I can understand that philosophy (my TSLA stock has done REALLY well these past few years, as I'm sure most of on this forum appreciate)...
Rikster -
You said that Tesla will refund warranty cost if you cancel anytime during first 4 years. I was under the impression that you could also cancel anytime once the Extended Warranty takes effect (Year 5). Is that not accurate?
While I wait for my new MSLR my current S is rapidly approaching its 4 year anniversary. I have to decide id I want to buy the Extended Warranty. I'll only do if I can get a refund

Rikster -
You said that Tesla will refund warranty cost if you cancel anytime during first 4 years. I was under the impression that you could also cancel anytime once the Extended Warranty takes effect (Year 5). Is that not accurate?
While I wait for my new MSLR my current S is rapidly approaching its 4 year anniversary. I have to decide id I want to buy the Extended Warranty. I'll only do if I can get a refund
It seems like you can get a refund anytime by cancelling. But "based on your claim history" Extended Service Agreement
Can I cancel my Extended Service Agreement? Can I upgrade or downgrade my Tesla Extended Service Agreement?
Yes. You can request to cancel your Extended Service Agreement at any time and receive a prorated refund, based on your claims history.
As you noted, this is only for pre-2021.5 (refreshed Model S) vehicles.

I have a lot to catch up on, but there seems to be a lot of hassle clearly identifying the major revisions of the MS. Like I noticed some other sites (still) use the Model S Refresh or Facelift to refer to the 2016-2017 exterior changes. Nothing wrong with that, but...

From the Audi and Porsche world (and maybe VW?) I'm used to seeing things like a 1985.5 or 2005.5 indicator for a model that had major changes mid-year. I know Tesla is constantly making small changes, but it seems like 2021.0 and 2021.5 would at least clarify the 2017-2021 vs. 2021 Refresh.

Nothing wrong with "2021+" if it gets enough momentum.
i was looking for stuff on thingiverse and quickly tagged some S refresh stuff (cubby holders, etc.) until i realized it was for the prior refresh. the 2022 designation should now make it very clear if it is for a 2021.5 and up model...

So I'm now 2 days out from my EDD, still sitting on a 3 week window with no VIN (and nothing in the source code).

What's typical for folks in this position? Do I need to see a date shrink to 10 days, and/or a VIN in the source code, before I officially get a VIN? Or could it just pop up?

I'm unlikely to get a reject / inventory car, as there are very few Model S being sold in my area, so the likelihood of someone rejecting my exact config during the timeframe is low. I therefore expect the "typical" delivery experience, where my car will roll out of Freemont and be loaded on truck / train to my location.

Reactions: rdmdriving
What's typical for folks in this position? Do I need to see a date shrink to 10 days, and/or a VIN in the source code, before I officially get a VIN? Or could it just pop up?
Historically - it was a shrunken window from what you are at then a VIN. More evidence to this, but not every case. There were VINs when people were at three week ranges. There were VINs after people shot to February (or later) and then back to this quarter with a range.

What I am trying to say is sadly, there is not a whole lot of consistency there.

So I'm now 2 days out from my EDD, still sitting on a 3 week window with no VIN (and nothing in the source code).

I'm unlikely to get a reject / inventory car, as there are very few Model S being sold in my area, so the likelihood of someone rejecting my exact config during the timeframe is low. I therefore expect the "typical" delivery experience, where my car will roll out of Freemont and be loaded on truck / train to my location.
I've entered the EDD range for the last 4 periods (14 day, 12 day, 12 day and 10 day ranges). The EDD would consistently get pushed out on the 2nd day during each EDD period without prior notice. I am now on my 14th EDD and the tightest range of 9 days (12/10-19). No communication, nothing in source code and no VIN.

It should be noted that for my '22 M3P order, once the EDD dropped to 9 days, I received a VIN the next day with further tightening of EDD window.

YMMV. Good luck!