Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% agree! And there's people saying to me like "ahahah nope im sorry! you're expensive $95,000 luxury car doesn't qualify for your tax ev silly." implying i'm a "rich person" complaining about a tax credit. When in reality nope. I saved all of my money, worked hard to get my dream car, and worked on my credit to get this Model S. I am not "rich" at all. I am just blessed enough to own a car like this, and having that tax credit would be a "cherry on the top" thing.
But nope. I'm always shafted in every way possible
Just received my delivery text and signed up for Saturday Dec 18 just before noon at the Schaumburg, IL location. Hard to believe that after 7 months I'll finally get my car! 😊
What was your RN, order date, and config?

Reactions: Davidrun2B
I had the great thrill to take delivery of my MS on Wednesday afternoon. Too much work the last 2 days for day light pictures, but I thought I'd share my observations about taking delivery at Tesla, Buena Park, in Orange Co, CA.

First off the Tesla staff were friendly and helpful but are adhering to the "touch less delivery" plan. I was only in the office to drop off my bank's DFR and tap the "Pay" button in Plaid. I did that after a 15-minute "big things" inspection of the car. Well, maybe it was 17 minutes cause I spent the first two staring in awe and pinching myself!

After payment I spent 2+ hours looking for everything you good people on this site taught me to look for:
  • Paint: nearly flawless, even in all hidden spaces. One tiny "pimple" on left rear fender. Undecided if I want Tesla to try and "fix" it. No scuffs or scrapes (California advantage?)
  • Accessories provided: 100%. 2 fobs (paired), all floor mats, all three trunk partitions, tow hook, "Model S" tag frame, USB drive in glovebox (sucker's kinda hard to put back)
  • Tires: my 19" rims had the Pirelli P Zero summer tires (preserving those precious All-Seasons for east of the Rockies). BTW, the Tempest wheel covers look so much better in person than on the web.
  • Mileage: 24 mi on the odo. Seemed a bit high for a factory-fresh car. The Tesla guy said something about a new off-sight storage lot so the car got some road miles. They allow themselves up to 100 mi on a "new" car.
  • Software: delivered with v10.2 (2021.40.6)
  • Panel gaps and weather seals: seemingly all perfect.
  • Door handles: sit flush and move smooth as silk
  • Windows: Did have the glitch where one rear window wouldn't auto-close, but the trick (from this website) to hold the button down for 5 seconds then up for 5 seconds fixed it.
  • Rattles / buzzing / vibration: none in the 75 miles I've put on the car. I do have the soft "coo-ing" sound from the climate control (assume it's "in-spec")
  • Ports: No fear, 100% USB sockets, the 12V plug, and phone chargers are all installed and working
  • Worm: Can see it if I look for it, but definitely not an issue nor distracting
  • Interior trim alignment (rear doors to back panels) is very good
  • Charge port door: instant response to charger wand
Before leaving, I mentioned to the staff that the paper plate hadn't been put on the car. The frame and screws were there, so I asked to borrow a screwdriver. The attendant jumped into action and installed the tag on the car for me. An overall great, unrushed delivery experience for THE ultimate driving machine. I wish you all the same!
Good to hear... My experience and car was similar on my 12/6/21 delivery, however the staff spent virtually zero time reviewing anything with the car and the car is not a normal car...but like you I spent two hours in the parking lot and got myself straight... Due to travel, I only have 60 miles on the car, so I'll tackle back into next week... I was missing a few parts, including the rear trunk and side cover and I may have an issue with my wireles charging pads...

• Informative
Reactions: Waldokind
So another update; delivery was set for 10am-4pm, those hours came and left. Called the 1-888 number for new deliveries at 5pm and someone named May said it’s delayed again due to the same software issue and rescheduled my delivery for tomorrow 4-8pm. She said the software issue is safety related whatever that means and can’t release the car until it clears. I have now signed and submitted the agreements 3 times (luckily I’ve screenshot each time) is there anything I can do to get some incentive? I honestly feel like I’m being played, the only thing keeping me sane is my vin hasn’t disappeared nor proof that I have paid the car either.

Let me apologize now for the length of this. I guess I should have driven to a friend's place so I could blather at them and get it out of my system...

Today I took delivery of my MSLR at the Serramonte center in Colma, CA. Didn't know they had a whole storefront operation there. First impression was that they'd been robbed - there's just so little stuff there. Some comfy chairs for waiting, some high cafe tables and stools for paperwork, two M3 and one MY on display, and a lot of white floors, white walls, and what I'd say were giant product sales sheets/brochures, if they weren't 6 feet tall and glued to the walls.

IMG_0060.JPG

They were very generous with the tire shine gel...

The staff were friendly and responsive, and I never had a customer taking delivery, or staff setting up for one, in an immediately adjacent spot. Staff did come out to show me the car, or to look at something I had a question about - so it wasn't concierge, but it wasn't totally touchless either. That was fine by me.

There's a Mega-consolidated delivery checklist elsewhere on TMC - very detailed. I slapped a copy on a clipboard, read it on the ride over, and then spent around 3 hours going over the car. This wasn't as long as it sounds, because half the time I was just exploring this amazing new device, not trying to work through the list efficiently.

Closing the doors does take extra effort, though that's probably subjective. I regularly drive a Honda, Porsche and Audi, and it seems to take more effort than the Germans - but sounds Japanese, if that makes any sense. Wish it had the satisfying thunk of the Porsche...

All accessories, shelves/covers, keys, et cetera were present. The mobile charging kit only had the 110V plug and J1772 adapter, but since I bought a second kit for home that has the 14-50R, I didn't think to ask about it (it's on the mega checklist, but that specific item may be outdated).

The weirdest thing was a series of what look like circular knock-outs on the bottom (facing the pavement) of the passenger side rocker panel. Where I expect the plastic of the panel to be, there's a 2.5-3 inch hole, showing white fibrous insulating material. They do not appear on the driver side.

IMG_0070.JPG

I thought this was bizarre, but when a staffer checked he said the other MSes had it too. 🤷‍♂️ I'm a bit concerned about what happens with those in rain and snow conditions...

The paint was actually good throughout, even in the door jambs. The one place I noticed a paint issue was "underspray" - not enough paint - when the frunk is open, the folded edge of the driver side quarter panel, at the rear top just under the windshield area and next to the frunk strut. This is not visible from the outside, the primer is intact, it just didn't get completely covered. On the one hand it doesn't show, on the other I don't want to wind up with the panel corroding because it wasn't fully protected.

The passenger side outboard tail light was showing condensation. The SA I showed it to claimed it was normal, due to the pressure washing, and would be replaced only if I noticed actual water accumulating inside. He made a joke about a bug drowning inside one of his tail lights before they would replace the unit, but that didn't really make me feel any better.

Some of the seals or weatherstripping could be better. The edge of the rubber surround of the frunk actually gets up into the cap between the frunk lid and the quarter panel. Similarly there's a rubber seal visible in the leading panel gap of the passenger side front door. I think I'm supposed to schedule a service appointment, and they'll try to sort out these fitment issues.

There may be a small alignment issue with the hatch - on the passenger side, the window edge and seam lined up a bit outside the corresponding roof glass seam - these bits lined up better on the driver side. This combined with what looks like a slightly wider gap in the rounded bottom side of the hatch on the passenger side made me think there might be an alignment issue there. The SA said these were often due to round bumpers in the bottom of the hatch, where they meet matching stops on the body, not being set to the correct depth (they screw in and out to adjust, I didn't play with them). If that doesn't do it, I'm to schedule a service visit and upload photos.

It won't be confused with a traditional luxury brand, but the interior feels pretty good. There may be a few points on the passenger seat where there's a little "pleating" in curved sections of the seat back, but it wasn't enough that I even brought it up. No rubbing on the door panels, or edges of the dash, or anything like that.

One thing really stood out, that I didn't bring up because it's just how they build the things - spot welds. If you're looking inside door jambs, the edges around the hatch area, et cetera, you may notice the spot welds. Not all of them are pretty and perfect, some left a pretty rough surface (under the paint, etc). They're not anywhere you would ever look at them, no passenger will ever notice them and laugh at you. But that gave me more of an impression of cheapness than anything I saw in the interior materials.

Final points (sorry this is so long) -- the car didn't have the latest software loaded. I didn't update it there because it claimed it would take 50 minutes, and I'd already been there 3+ hours with no lunch...

The Tesla app on my iPhone is still not showing the car. As in, it's no longer in "order" mode showing my RN number and VIN, but instead of showing my car - like where I would be able to set it up for Phone Key - I just have this "Explore" heading and pictures of each model/product. I asked the SA if he had marked my car as "delivered" (something on the checklist) and he said yes, and it should clear up if I logout/login. But that didn't clear it up, so he said to give it time... 😰

I got it home, fielded questions from the neighbors, added WiFi credentials, hooked up the home charger, and told it to update to 40.??. I think I've taken two or three times long enough typing this up as it needed to finish, so I'll go check on it.

Good luck to everybody still waiting to hear they'll get their Christmas present on time...

We took delivery today and the experience was great. While mostly "touchless," the team at the Carlsbad, CA Service Center regularly checked to see if we needed any help or had any questions. The process was quick and the car was clean, despite our recent rain. There were a few minor panel gap issues that I probably wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't such a hot topic on this forum. The rest of the car was without noticeable flaw, although I will check more thoroughly over the next few days. After signing all documents, my wife took our other car home. I subsequently spent close to 20 minutes setting up my phone, profile preferences, some music options, etc. It all seemed quite intuitive.

Upon leaving, I was turning left onto the street in front of the Service Center when another vehicle hurriedly pulled out from a driveway across the street and to my right. I gave my MS accelerator a bit of a push, and wow ... this puppy moves! What fun. :eek:

I had a busy day and only put about 30 miles on my new rocket. The camera configuration for autopilot took about 18 miles and I got a short opportunity to check out Traffic Aware Cruise Control/Autopilot while on the freeway. It worked confidently and without flaw. The car was quiet and had zero squeaks and rattles. It felt super solid.

Due to my busy day, I only got a few hurried pictures. As you can see, I took off the Aero wheel covers and added some axle and bolt covers purchased from Amazon. Overall, I expected to be impressed, but the car far exceeded my expectations. I'm a happy camper and I hope the rest of my fellow TMC'ers are equally happy with their new rides when then arrive. As has often been said here - "It is worth the wait!"

Attachments

• Tesla1.jpg
    Tesla1.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Tesla2.jpg
    Tesla2.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Tesla3.jpg
    Tesla3.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Tesla4.jpg
    Tesla4.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 77
I finally received mine. It has been a roller coaster with the EDD nightmare. I am listing the dates from beginning to end to give you guys some guidance. I don’t know how useful it would be since people ordered before me are still waiting theirs to arrive and some but many received theirs who ordered after me. Here is below my journey from ordering to receiving. I hope you all get yours sooner than later.

Tesla EDD History.

07/17: October
08/01: Blank
08/08: October 31st - November 20th
08/19: November 2nd - November 22nd
08/25: October 28th - November 2nd
09/02: December 6th - December 26th
09/12: September 18-September 30
09/19: September 22-September 30
09/23: November 02-November 22
09/29 November 21-December 11
11/08 December 09 - December 31
11/23 December 03 - December 17
12/04 December 05 - December 18
12/06 December 07 - December 18
12/08 December 09 - December 20
12/09 December 09 - December 15
12/09 VIN 5YJSA1E56NF461
12/10 Picked up at 5:45 PM

I picked up my car today in the basement of a parking garage. It was clean and only missing two things: the small corner corner trunk piece and the license plate frame.

1639200231760.png

The car had some dirty water residue from the recent CA rains. I could also tell the windshield and the rear of the car wasn't detailed at all. Minor annoyances.

Oh and my yoke must be straining so hard with a vein like that...

1639200349711.png

Anyone else have problems with the sound system? I can’t seem to get much bass even though I’ve messed with the settings. In fact, I don’t notice a difference when I scroll up and down on the bass setting. My Model 3’s bass was significantly better the way it is right now. And yes, I’ve already done the two scroll wheel reset multiple times.
Mine's got all the bottom-end I could want. I say that as a bass guitarist, so like it turned up (more than) a bit.

Today, I received the first email update on my order (outside USA) after 9 months since placing the order...as follows:
=====
We’re contacting you regarding the timing of your Model S order.
As we ramp up production, launch timings for markets outside North America have been delayed. We will further update you on delivery timings through your Tesla Account as the production of your Model S approaches. We currently estimate that deliveries outside of North America will begin in the second half of 2022.
In order to expedite delivery of existing orders, including your Model S order, as much as possible we will for now no longer accept new orders for Model S and Model X in markets outside North America. Your Model S will continue to adhere to the price at the date of ordering unless you modify your Vehicle Configuration
...etc
=====

So in summary it's more delays, even second half is only an estimate and its only "begin"which could means more months of delays.

My SA is at the Tesla show room in the Miracle Mile mall in Manhasset, NY. It's a very nice upscale mall. I just learned that Lucid Motors is also opening a show room in the same mall in early 2022. This should be interesting. I will probably be able to test drive a Lucid Air before my Model S arrives.
I was at the Lucid showroom in downtown Manhattan about 6 weeks ago. At that time, test drives were being offered in 2022, but only to reservation holders. A reservation for a Lucid Air runs $1000, and is fully refundable.

Reactions: MGMiller
Finally got a day with my new baby to test more features, take some pics, and stretch her legs. I'm stepping (way) up from a Lexus ES350 which I bought new in 2008. This technology triumph has made me feel like I just my drivers license all over again...and I'm 52 years old! From the seemingly limitless power, to the yoke input, to the astonishing systems integration, to the magic of auto-pilot steering me on the freeway, I'm never looking back to the ICE age.
And on top of all that, this in American car, built in America, by Americans. I'm a 28-year Veteran and couldn't be more proud. 🇺🇲

hillside.png

downhill.png

downtown2k.png

sunset.png

The Tesla app on my iPhone is still not showing the car. [...]

Earlier today I had deleted and re-installed the app, and periodically I logged out and logged in again, killed the app between those steps, yadda yadda. None of it made a difference.

After I finished watching a show tonight I had my phone out and checked the Tesla app. Wonder of wonders, there was the car, showing it's current charging status. No idea why. Your mileage may vary.

Oh and since there was a sub-thread on this: while all the paperwork said the car had 15 miles, it only had about 7 on it when I took possession.

I took delivery of my new 2022 Tesla Model S LR AWD today. The place was hopping. Lot's of various new Tesla deliveries. The delivery people were of little value and very un-structured, albeit pleasant. They couldn't help with any of my questions, including various feature configurations or Key FOB programming, or the verification that they were programmed. They didn't go over anything on the car. I'm surprised that they even asked me for my down payment check. I was lucky enough to be able to sit in the car for an hour getting a lay of the land, as this is my first Tesla. I had read the manual and watched the Tesla videos.

My Tesla was missing two rear truck cover pieces for which Tesla is ordering...however nothing was written down. The car looked pretty good, and I will assess the vehicle more tomorrow. The technology is overwhelming...at least at first. I was able to program the Homelink for my two garage doors. I am testing the charging options via a Tesla Wall Connector at my house garage tonight. The wireless charging pads also seem to be either weak or it’s my iPhone case, however, every other wireless charger I have works with the phone case I have. I’m also working to transfer my Sirius XM service to my new Tesla.

Tomorrow the Tesla heads to the shop for a week to get some window tinting done and a few other items.

I wish you all still waiting on your Tesla Model S’s all the best. The car is amazing and I hope it continues to meet my expectations.

View attachment 741514View attachment 741515
Yay! It was crazy when I took delivery 11/26, too. I had to chase someone down to get my fobs and key cards. Mine wasn't even pulled forward where yours was, it was way back at the start of the parking garage ramp. It still had little pieces of blue tape on some exterior trim and most of the protective film on stuff inside, like they didn't quite finish getting it ready for my 12:00 appt. Did I care? Heck no. I did see two car carriers pull in loaded with cars while I was there, so I know they are just crazy busy.

Enjoy the crap out of it!

Finally got a day with my new baby to test more features, take some pics, and stretch her legs. I'm stepping (way) up from a Lexus ES350 which I bought new in 2008. This technology triumph has made me feel like I just my drivers license all over again...and I'm 52 years old! From the seemingly limitless power, to the yoke input, to the astonishing systems integration, to the magic of auto-pilot steering me on the freeway, I'm never looking back to the ICE age.
And on top of all that, this in American car, built in America, by Americans. I'm a 28-year Veteran and couldn't be more proud. 🇺🇲

View attachment 743073

View attachment 743074
View attachment 743075
View attachment 743076
Thank you for your service!