Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me apologize now for the length of this. I guess I should have driven to a friend's place so I could blather at them and get it out of my system...

Today I took delivery of my MSLR at the Serramonte center in Colma, CA. Didn't know they had a whole storefront operation there. First impression was that they'd been robbed - there's just so little stuff there. Some comfy chairs for waiting, some high cafe tables and stools for paperwork, two M3 and one MY on display, and a lot of white floors, white walls, and what I'd say were giant product sales sheets/brochures, if they weren't 6 feet tall and glued to the walls.

View attachment 743018
They were very generous with the tire shine gel...

The staff were friendly and responsive, and I never had a customer taking delivery, or staff setting up for one, in an immediately adjacent spot. Staff did come out to show me the car, or to look at something I had a question about - so it wasn't concierge, but it wasn't totally touchless either. That was fine by me.

There's a Mega-consolidated delivery checklist elsewhere on TMC - very detailed. I slapped a copy on a clipboard, read it on the ride over, and then spent around 3 hours going over the car. This wasn't as long as it sounds, because half the time I was just exploring this amazing new device, not trying to work through the list efficiently.

Closing the doors does take extra effort, though that's probably subjective. I regularly drive a Honda, Porsche and Audi, and it seems to take more effort than the Germans - but sounds Japanese, if that makes any sense. Wish it had the satisfying thunk of the Porsche...

All accessories, shelves/covers, keys, et cetera were present. The mobile charging kit only had the 110V plug and J1772 adapter, but since I bought a second kit for home that has the 14-50R, I didn't think to ask about it (it's on the mega checklist, but that specific item may be outdated).

The weirdest thing was a series of what look like circular knock-outs on the bottom (facing the pavement) of the passenger side rocker panel. Where I expect the plastic of the panel to be, there's a 2.5-3 inch hole, showing white fibrous insulating material. They do not appear on the driver side.

View attachment 743019

I thought this was bizarre, but when a staffer checked he said the other MSes had it too. 🤷‍♂️ I'm a bit concerned about what happens with those in rain and snow conditions...

The paint was actually good throughout, even in the door jambs. The one place I noticed a paint issue was "underspray" - not enough paint - when the frunk is open, the folded edge of the driver side quarter panel, at the rear top just under the windshield area and next to the frunk strut. This is not visible from the outside, the primer is intact, it just didn't get completely covered. On the one hand it doesn't show, on the other I don't want to wind up with the panel corroding because it wasn't fully protected.

The passenger side outboard tail light was showing condensation. The SA I showed it to claimed it was normal, due to the pressure washing, and would be replaced only if I noticed actual water accumulating inside. He made a joke about a bug drowning inside one of his tail lights before they would replace the unit, but that didn't really make me feel any better.

Some of the seals or weatherstripping could be better. The edge of the rubber surround of the frunk actually gets up into the cap between the frunk lid and the quarter panel. Similarly there's a rubber seal visible in the leading panel gap of the passenger side front door. I think I'm supposed to schedule a service appointment, and they'll try to sort out these fitment issues.

There may be a small alignment issue with the hatch - on the passenger side, the window edge and seam lined up a bit outside the corresponding roof glass seam - these bits lined up better on the driver side. This combined with what looks like a slightly wider gap in the rounded bottom side of the hatch on the passenger side made me think there might be an alignment issue there. The SA said these were often due to round bumpers in the bottom of the hatch, where they meet matching stops on the body, not being set to the correct depth (they screw in and out to adjust, I didn't play with them). If that doesn't do it, I'm to schedule a service visit and upload photos.

It won't be confused with a traditional luxury brand, but the interior feels pretty good. There may be a few points on the passenger seat where there's a little "pleating" in curved sections of the seat back, but it wasn't enough that I even brought it up. No rubbing on the door panels, or edges of the dash, or anything like that.

One thing really stood out, that I didn't bring up because it's just how they build the things - spot welds. If you're looking inside door jambs, the edges around the hatch area, et cetera, you may notice the spot welds. Not all of them are pretty and perfect, some left a pretty rough surface (under the paint, etc). They're not anywhere you would ever look at them, no passenger will ever notice them and laugh at you. But that gave me more of an impression of cheapness than anything I saw in the interior materials.

Final points (sorry this is so long) -- the car didn't have the latest software loaded. I didn't update it there because it claimed it would take 50 minutes, and I'd already been there 3+ hours with no lunch...

The Tesla app on my iPhone is still not showing the car. As in, it's no longer in "order" mode showing my RN number and VIN, but instead of showing my car - like where I would be able to set it up for Phone Key - I just have this "Explore" heading and pictures of each model/product. I asked the SA if he had marked my car as "delivered" (something on the checklist) and he said yes, and it should clear up if I logout/login. But that didn't clear it up, so he said to give it time... 😰

I got it home, fielded questions from the neighbors, added WiFi credentials, hooked up the home charger, and told it to update to 40.??. I think I've taken two or three times long enough typing this up as it needed to finish, so I'll go check on it.

Good luck to everybody still waiting to hear they'll get their Christmas present on time...
Congrats on the new S. It looks great!
I'd be curious if you ever find out what those two round cutouts are. My car is not scheduled until February and they really seem strange.

Congrats on the new S. It looks great!
I'd be curious if you ever find out what those two round cutouts are. My car is not scheduled until February and they really seem strange.
I have just looked under my car and have seen the same thing. The driver's side underneath the rocker panel there are some rectangular covers over cut outs, but the passenger side has these circular holes that expose a thin white plastic lining. Can anybody explain this?

1) Delivery window updated from 12/10-31 to 12/13-31. Ok, barely an update at all -- but still hanging on.

2) The main delivery thread (more like a water cooler thread these days) showed that Tesla is testing a revised Model S rear, including less plastic and revised tail light assemblies. Presumably, this is necessary for deliveries to Europe which require CSS2.

1639238643697.png

Great to see all these recently deliveries.
Not great to get pushed back again like many of us did into Jan-Feb.
Not great to see so many Plaid inventory cars available for sale in existing inventory while so many of us have to wait on cars still - not cool there.
That’s my thoughts exactly. It’s not like the majority of us are gonna be like “oh cool I can only spend $60k more and get a car tomorrow!”

1) Delivery window updated from 12/10-31 to 12/13-31. Ok, barely an update at all -- but still hanging on.

2) The main delivery thread (more like a water cooler thread these days) showed that Tesla is testing a revised Model S rear, including less plastic and revised tail light assemblies. Presumably, this is necessary for deliveries to Europe which require CSS2.
I (like many) hope they modernize these old tail lights and head lights - two things that seem ancient now and subpar on the Model S compared to all other luxury cars out there, the 3/Y/X since 2016 etc. Our F150 lights are 10x better than the MS headlights still, has nice blurred LED tail lights, etc. The current S is way behind in these two spots.

What is CSS2? A Google search for that reveals only "cascading style sheets version 2", which is probably not what you were referring to.

Reactions: rdmdriving
That’s my thoughts exactly. It’s not like the majority of us are gonna be like “oh cool I can only spend $60k more and get a car tomorrow!”
Exactly. My loan amount already approved me for my budget just enough where I’m not broke owning the car. plus im so dedicated to get my LR I can care less about the plaid. I’ve waited 8 months so another 4 won’t hurt 😂

I finally received mine. It has been a roller coaster with the EDD nightmare. I am listing the dates from beginning to end to give you guys some guidance. I don’t know how useful it would be since people ordered before me are still waiting theirs to arrive and some but many received theirs who ordered after me. Here is below my journey from ordering to receiving. I hope you all get yours sooner than later.

Tesla EDD History.

07/17: October
08/01: Blank
08/08: October 31st - November 20th
08/19: November 2nd - November 22nd
08/25: October 28th - November 2nd
09/02: December 6th - December 26th
09/12: September 18-September 30
09/19: September 22-September 30
09/23: November 02-November 22
09/29 November 21-December 11
11/08 December 09 - December 31
11/23 December 03 - December 17
12/04 December 05 - December 18
12/06 December 07 - December 18
12/08 December 09 - December 20
12/09 December 09 - December 15
12/09 VIN 5YJSA1E56NF461
12/10 Picked up at 5:45 PM
I ordered my LR in February and no vin yet and you got yours before me lol

View attachment 743148
Would assume this has to do with the new EU standards. I also read all non-North American deliveries have been put on hold. Once those deliveries ramp back up, I would assume this is the design the cars will ship with.

100% agree! And there's people saying to me like "ahahah nope im sorry! you're expensive $95,000 luxury car doesn't qualify for your tax ev silly." implying i'm a "rich person" complaining about a tax credit. When in reality nope. I saved all of my money, worked hard to get my dream car, and worked on my credit to get this Model S. I am not "rich" at all. I am just blessed enough to own a car like this, and having that tax credit would be a "cherry on the top" thing.
But nope. I'm always shafted in every way possible

Here's a different perspective. Everyone's version of "rich" is different. But the population of people purchasing new $100K cars is very small. Those people are generally regarded as doing very well and don't need a rebate.

You don't need the rebate, much like the majority of Model S purchasers here. Would it be nice to get free money? Of course.

But for those struggling to buy a $30K car for their family's needs, the rebate will make it possible. It ends up costing less than a economy ICE car like Honda Civic, etc.

Here's a different perspective. Everyone's version of "rich" is different. But the population of people purchasing new $100K cars is very small. Those people are generally regarded as doing very well and don't need a rebate.

You don't need the rebate, much like the majority of Model S purchasers here. Would it be nice to get free money? Of course.

But for those struggling to buy a $30K car for their family's needs, the rebate will make it possible. It ends up costing less than a economy ICE car like Honda Civic, etc.
"Doing very well and don't need a rebate." Yeah but it would be nice to get free money. ahaha