Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is good to know. I have been told I was soft-matched with cars to go into production before, but never one that was already built and has a VIN. I believe maybe it's loaded onto a frame to be in-transit and are waiting to have a firm idea of when it will arrive at my delivery center to then assign the VIN to my account and set a delivery date up. This may be different with it being EOY too, I am not sure.

When you were told you were soft matched before, did they call you to tell you that or is that what your SA/Tesla support told you when you've called? I've been told it when I was called before, but never have they called me about it.

Edit: also coincides with their text asking if I wanted to trade in my vehicle last Friday, them telling me it's built and in transit it was likely matched with my account on Friday and now "in transit" waiting for accurate ETA to assign VN to me to schedule delivery. - Who knows we'll see
11514 - ordered 6/14/21 - MS LR, MSM w/BLK, 21's and FSD

I'm in a similar boat - EDD is all over the place but has been narrowing over the last week to current 12/25 - 12/31. Still no VIN but SA reached out today to inquire about my trade-in, requested new picture of odometer (even though my current trade agreement was just renewed last week) and told me "dates look to be holding for late December". Cautiously hopeful. Waiting for that VIN to get excited though.

Just got a text from Tesla asking if I wanted to switch out for Plaid, no discounts lol. There’s something going on with LR production. There has to be.
No discount is total BS given you have an open order. Especially if they are asking you to upgrade, they should honor your MS LR pricing window to upgrade to the Plaid. Otherwise, it makes no sense.

No discount is total BS given you have an open order. Especially if they are asking you to upgrade, they should honor your MS LR pricing window to upgrade to the Plaid. Otherwise, it makes no sense.
Yeah I’m not asking for the same pre price hike discount, but they have to throw something in there to make it enticing. Maybe even free FSD. That would be pretty good “discount”

After one year, VIN assigned and delivery scheduled for this week! Delivery to my house. Was planning on handing over cashier's check after a successful inspection and acceptance of car. However, my SA just texted me "We do not accept cashier checks. You will need to compete payment on your Tesla app." Huh? I though many people used a cashier's check upon delivery. What is up?

Also, no confirmation on how the $2000 pre-refresh credit will be applied.
I placed my order online on May 15 and put $100 down with a credit card. I picked it up on Dec 16 in Schaumburg which is one of the Chicago sales offices. Before delivery, I confirmed that a cashiers check was OK for payment. I financed the majority from dcu.org and had them send me the check with Fedex. I went to my local bank and bought a cashiers check for the remaining balance due. Brought both checks with me to my appointment. Tesla asked for payment when I arrived but I told them I wanted to inspect my car inside and out first. I did show them the two checks in advance before they gave me the key card for inspection.

The car failed my inspection because it had the wrong tires on it. Summer tires in Chicago in December. Yeah right. They said they would take care of it either immediately or at a later date if they did not have A/S (All Season) tires in stock. After about 20 minutes, they found a set and they agreed to install them right away. They gave us a demo model YP to go tool around for an hour while waiting.

I didn't hand over the two checks until my car was ready and they handed me the key cards and key fobs.

All was good.

Tesla is allowed to operate as a dealer in Illinois where the transaction took place. Maybe the rules are different in your state.

I am now the proud owner of a Model 3 performance

Attachments

• 1E50697E-0586-4392-99B3-A79730D781A5.png
    1E50697E-0586-4392-99B3-A79730D781A5.png
    307.2 KB · Views: 92
I'm in NJ too, and I got my VIN, and then lost it, on the same exact days that you did! Yet my account still shows my car getting delivered next Monday, Dec 27th, even though the VIN is missing.:

View attachment 746363
Sounds familiar. Had a VIN and appt confirmed for this Friday the 24th, but now the VIN is gone, no appt listed and EDD is back to 30-31 Dec.

I did talk to someone at 1800-tesla last friday and they were expecting the car to arrive on the 23rd. Who knows.

Reactions: JeffN
Just received my delivery text and signed up for Saturday Dec 18 just before noon at the Schaumburg, IL location. Hard to believe that after 7 months I'll finally get my car! 😊
Congratulations!!!! My stats are just behind yours....RN1149//15 May//LR Red with cream//latest EDD Jan 12 - Feb 9...no VIN yet, but with your news, hopefully, I will have those same feelings soon!

Reactions: roc-noc
That is good to know. I have been told I was soft-matched with cars to go into production before, but never one that was already built and has a VIN. I believe maybe it's loaded onto a frame to be in-transit and are waiting to have a firm idea of when it will arrive at my delivery center to then assign the VIN to my account and set a delivery date up. This may be different with it being EOY too, I am not sure.

When you were told you were soft matched before, did they call you to tell you that or is that what your SA/Tesla support told you when you've called? I've been told it when I was called before, but never have they called me about it.

Edit: also coincides with their text asking if I wanted to trade in my vehicle last Friday, them telling me it's built and in transit it was likely matched with my account on Friday and now "in transit" waiting for accurate ETA to assign VN to me to schedule delivery. - Who knows we'll see
My prior belief was a soft match had you in a batch of cars, and then then VIN would magically get assigned to you - seemingly before transit. Now? All bets are off.
I do believe from my call yesterday that the VIN will get assigned when production is completed, the SA used the term "stamped" - I haven't looked closely at the S VIN but on every car I've had, I think the door panel is laser etched or stamped or something, and the dash seems to have some sort of riveted plate (but I can be mistaken)
I see no way to get that dash plate there unless there's either no windshield yet, or if it is inserted into the dash somehow - either before the dash is inserted, or slapped into the dash.
Either way, to me that means the VIN has to be inserted/installed BEFORE production is complete, but possibly not assigned until the car passes certain benchmarks.
unless they know they have a zillion of a certain set of colors/interiors, etc. going to a locale, i'd imagine they'd want to hard match the VIN to the purchaser, instead of building and shipping on spec and hoping there's enough demand for the combination of colors and wheels.
just my .02

My prior belief was a soft match had you in a batch of cars, and then then VIN would magically get assigned to you - seemingly before transit. Now? All bets are off.
I do believe from my call yesterday that the VIN will get assigned when production is completed, the SA used the term "stamped" - I haven't looked closely at the S VIN but on every car I've had, I think the door panel is laser etched or stamped or something, and the dash seems to have some sort of riveted plate (but I can be mistaken)
I see no way to get that dash plate there unless there's either no windshield yet, or if it is inserted into the dash somehow - either before the dash is inserted, or slapped into the dash.
Either way, to me that means the VIN has to be inserted/installed BEFORE production is complete, but possibly not assigned until the car passes certain benchmarks.
unless they know they have a zillion of a certain set of colors/interiors, etc. going to a locale, i'd imagine they'd want to hard match the VIN to the purchaser, instead of building and shipping on spec and hoping there's enough demand for the combination of colors and wheels.
just my .02
The VIN is stamped onto the body, the dashboard and it used to even be put on ICE engines. The flaw in your logic with Tesla is they really don't have a lot of combinations. With the MSLR, Five car colors, three interiors. The Plaid adds the Carbon fiber or wood choice, so another three variations on the interior. The software is a non-issue and wheels can be added later. Tesla makes what they make. White/black, Black/black and MSM/Black are obviously the most popular. They know what the car will be as it starts the assembly process and can match it to a buyer. When I bought my '17 MS, there were at least six options, more car colors, and many variations as that was a custom assembly line. At that time you chose air suspension, upgraded radio, different dash wood, premium package, three different roofs including a sunroof, and of course Enhanced autopilot or FSD.