Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the video party is over... NHTSA was not happy about the passenger play feature.

"Tesla confirmed that it will shut down “passenger play,” which allows for playing video games on the center screen of its vehicles while driving. The change comes after NHTSA announced that it is opening an official probe into the situation. Tesla has recently been putting more work toward video games inside its vehicles with the goal to “optimize fun” with its ownership experience.

Earlier this month, we reported on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) confirming that it is talking with Tesla about the “passenger play” situation. Yesterday, NTHSA confirmed that it had opened an official probe into the situation and planned to study how the feature is being used. The probe put enough pressure on Tesla that the company decided to walk back the feature. NHTSA confirmed Tesla’s decision today (via Associated Press)

The update is reportedly already being pushed as part of Tesla’s holiday update. NHTSA says that it will continue its probe despite Tesla making the change and will study how Tesla owners use the center display and its entertainment features."

1640325756377.png

Last edited:
Hey James. I was thinking the same thing too that higher priced LRs were a priority. I did finally get my car and the extra $2,000 discount. Priority over LR is definitely Plaid deliveries. My dates moved around towards the end too and surprise you have a VIN. It’s frustrating but the car is amazing. Of course it needs to go in for a few things. But it’s all good.
Thank you for the reply. I got the car before the three $5,000 price increases. Is the $2000 discount your talking about because you ordered pre refresh announcement.

EVAnnex.com has Gorilla lug nuts in black finish and a hard polycarbonate black lug nut cover set. I prefer the hard polycarbonate covers to the soft silicone or other poly covers. They come with a simple removal tool.

I'll probably go with the Gorilla lug nuts with my 19" Signature wheels and use the original Tesla lug nuts when I put the Arachnid wheels and tires on for warm weather.
Thanks! I ordered a set of the Gorilla lug nuts. The black chrome set are part number 61148BCX-20. I still need to measure the hub to see if the common 56mm caps fit.

I feel you. My current lease (19 crosstrek) doesn't end till April and my current value is 10k more then the buyout currently. I don't want to lose that value, because that kick back will help with the down payment on the S. But I still have time, and looking at other deliveries, it seems to be a 6-7 month turn around after initial order. So you'll definitely be looking at a January delivery! Finger crossed! 🙌
I ordered a y for my wife. Her lease is up in august and I don’t trust the supply chain. Tesla has bounced the dates from February to July and back down to April, I can wait, but if bounced around august and September I’d be a wreck.
you can generally extend a lease a few months, but I would not count on delivery of your Tesla, until you have it home, and it works.
i had a freaking delivery appoint,ent for December 29 revoked!
i think expecting the car and believing the delivery date ahead of time is very dangerous.
i may trade in, and even then I hope I bet that rare pearl that freezes up after 2 days.

Reactions: chrisdh79
Looks like the video party is over... NHTSA was not happy about the passenger play feature.

"Tesla confirmed that it will shut down “passenger play,” which allows for playing video games on the center screen of its vehicles while driving. The change comes after NHTSA announced that it is opening an official probe into the situation. Tesla has recently been putting more work toward video games inside its vehicles with the goal to “optimize fun” with its ownership experience.

Earlier this month, we reported on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) confirming that it is talking with Tesla about the “passenger play” situation. Yesterday, NTHSA confirmed that it had opened an official probe into the situation and planned to study how the feature is being used. The probe put enough pressure on Tesla that the company decided to walk back the feature. NHTSA confirmed Tesla’s decision today (via Associated Press)

The update is reportedly already being pushed as part of Tesla’s holiday update. NHTSA says that it will continue its probe despite Tesla making the change and will study how Tesla owners use the center display and its entertainment features."

View attachment 747725
I want to smoke what the NHTSA is smoking. They are ignoring the dumb yoke and focusing on video games in their pursuit of "safety".

I want to smoke what the NHTSA is smoking. They are ignoring the dumb yoke and focusing on video games in their pursuit of "safety".
I get the NHTSA. Do we really need video games in the front seat while driving?

As someone who was at one time thinking of dropping my order because the yoke was forced on us with no other option, after finally taking delivery and driven about 250 miles, I have come to really like the yoke and the turn signal buttons.

I don't believe it makes the Model S "unsafe". Give it a chance. You might like it.

What do other drivers with yoke experience think?

Is anyone buying the expensive third party steering wheel and changing out the yoke?

I feel your pain. I think there may be a problem getting these MSM cars out. MSMs were supposed to be produced and delivered in Dec 2021 and it did not materialize. Tesla produced much less MSM exterior compared to other colors recently. There must be some hold up when they decided to make MSM standard color for M3/MY.
Obviously Tesla needed to manufacture more Midnight Silver Metallic finishes for good people like you, but as for the quantity they delivered, I took delivery of my MS MSM on 8 Dec. In the same lot / same time was another new owner taking possession of an MS MSM. And the first other refreshed MS LR I saw in my neighborhood 4 days ago was an MSM.

Last edited:
I get the NHTSA. Do we really need video games in the front seat while driving?
What do other drivers with yoke experience think?
The yoke is absolutely awesome. It has refreshed the driving experience for me and am a fan for life.

As for gaming while "driving," I would have always expected that was locked out already, until I found a perfect use case for allowing it. I was in the 20-minute drive thru lane at In-and-Out Burger and was able to play Solitaire and 2048 while creeping forward 18 feet every 2-3 minutes. I wasn't "driving" but the car was in Drive the whole time. Ya, I guess I can keep popping it in and out of Park so I can still game while in the drive thru, but I'll miss how smoothly this worked.

Haven’t been on these forums in awhile. Still holding my 1/10-2/7 EDD.

If I do get pushed back into March/April, what’s the likelihood that Tesla tells people with pre price increase like myself that we have to pay the new price? If that’s the case, then sadly I’m going to order a Model 3 LR.
Just picked up my 21 S LR. Ordered 4/13 and there has been a $15K price increase since then. I paid the original price. When you order and pay your $100 and you are locking in that purchase price. It is a contract and you will lose your $100 if you walk away.

Just picked up my 21 S LR. Ordered 4/13 and there has been a $15K price increase since then. I paid the original price. When you order and pay your $100 and you are locking in that purchase price. It is a contract and you will lose your $100 if you walk away.
Thanks but I’m going back to a M3 LR. Saving the $30k. Might come back to it when Tesla comes out with a 500 mile battery, whenever that is