Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys I need your opinion on my tires issue. Just to recap I took delivery of a car whose owner could not pick up for some reason however it has 21 wheels and summer tires which in Chicago is a big deal. Anyways due to the craziness in the edd issue and not knowing when will I be able to get my original ordered car I agreed knowing that there is a 19 wheel winter package I can order. After my rear drive unit replacement ordeal fifty miles after taking delivery the SC promised I will get the winter wheels for free. However they have been on back order for more than two weeks. Now with the snow and below freezing weather it is a problem. I initially thought I will drive my wife’s x5 while there is snow and my tesla on clean roads. However after doing some online research I read the problem with summer tires is not only the snow and traction with snow. Actually under 45 degrees temps even in dry conditions summer tires just because of their rubber they are not safe to drive.
Which means till I get the back ordered wheels which good only knows how long that will be I will be paying for a leased car parked in the garage. I started looking into replacing the 21 summers with 21 ASs to get me by till the winter 19s come in.
I spoke to a friend of mine who has a car shop he said that is BS and that I can drive the summer tires in the cold as long as there is no snow. Another friend of mine who has a pre refresh model s with 21 wheels said that he had no problem with them on dry roads.
So what should I do. Keep driving in the cold on clean roads till I get the 19s or swap the 21 summers with 21 AS?
Don’t drive on them. It is dangerous for two reasons. The tread pattern on snows is deeper to push the snow/slush away BUT the rubber compounds in tires are temperature optimized.

The summer tires have a harder compound rubber that becomes even harder at low temperatures. This affects road adhesion and they have less traction. Same with running winter tires over 40 F. The compound is already soft and the warmer it is, the faster tire wear goes up and sidewall rigidity is reduced.

You live in Chicago and will end up on the snow and ice at some point and could have catastrophic effects. Even AS are not optimized for either season but good enough for both in most climates. In Quebec snow tires are mandated by law and they should be here in Ontario as well however most people put them on.

Be safe !!!!!

So you're saying if I make it a point to speak to a sales advisor regarding the tires the car gets delivered with and how I would rather have all seasons, they should be able to swap it out if it gets delivered with summers?

Anyone in toronto /gta done somehting like this and been successful?
I live in Boston and received my car 11/30. When I received my VIN I emailed the delivery center with a few questions and one of them was looking for an assurance of all season tires, which they confirmed. When I picked up the car, it had summer tires, I showed them the email and they set up an appointment to swap out with all seasons. At the time (maybe still now) the all seasons were out of stock, so I drove on the summer tires for 2 weeks. I didn't ask about keeping the summer, nor did they offer.

• Funny
Reactions: doubleshot
You should hear from your dealer, not Ford corporate on your order. We've confirmed our F150 order a week ago. It doesn't go in perfect reservation order - it varies as they are allocating some to different dealers, with higher volume dealers getting more at times it seems. We have an EDD of February first week here.

Looking forward to it as the interior of the F150 is so functional, something I'm pretty sure the Cybertruck won't nearly match. So many outlets, plugs, the folding desk to work (or eat) on, the tech is functional, carplay is fine and wireless, and looking forward to bluecruise. The steering already does pretty good for roadtrips without it. I'll only miss our F150 King Ranch hybrid range we have now, as with a full tank we can get about 550-600 miles - but we still stop ever few hours anyways on road trips at minimum.
That is sooner than I expected for delivery. I was thinking that they would begin shipping in June.
What model did you end up ordering? Color? Did you get your reservation placed in the first hour?

That is sooner than I expected for delivery. I was thinking that they would begin shipping in June.
What model did you end up ordering? Color? Did you get your reservation placed in the first hour?
I have to stand a little corrected though, my partner said that we were now told Summer 2022 for delivery, even as a first hour type order. We ordered the Platinum trim, and then you'll see packages still that are typical like the 701A.

Guys I need your opinion on my tires issue. Just to recap I took delivery of a car whose owner could not pick up for some reason however it has 21 wheels and summer tires which in Chicago is a big deal. Anyways due to the craziness in the edd issue and not knowing when will I be able to get my original ordered car I agreed knowing that there is a 19 wheel winter package I can order. After my rear drive unit replacement ordeal fifty miles after taking delivery the SC promised I will get the winter wheels for free. However they have been on back order for more than two weeks. Now with the snow and below freezing weather it is a problem. I initially thought I will drive my wife’s x5 while there is snow and my tesla on clean roads. However after doing some online research I read the problem with summer tires is not only the snow and traction with snow. Actually under 45 degrees temps even in dry conditions summer tires just because of their rubber they are not safe to drive.
Which means till I get the back ordered wheels which good only knows how long that will be I will be paying for a leased car parked in the garage. I started looking into replacing the 21 summers with 21 ASs to get me by till the winter 19s come in.
I spoke to a friend of mine who has a car shop he said that is BS and that I can drive the summer tires in the cold as long as there is no snow. Another friend of mine who has a pre refresh model s with 21 wheels said that he had no problem with them on dry roads.
So what should I do. Keep driving in the cold on clean roads till I get the 19s or swap the 21 summers with 21 AS?
Years ago my Benz came with summer tires in January and that was a non starter. I had it shipped from Oregon and almost flrw out to drive it back here, and was promised all season and made the Benz dealership reimburse me for all season.
summer tires in cold weather are dangerous, poor traction, and otherwise very rotten no good.
if you are in an accident the lawyers will be all over you. It is negligent. Bad thing. Bad, bad.
be safe. 21” for my hypothetical S was never going to happen, because I already store a set of wheels in my garage and didn’t want to do the summer/winter tire thing.
i don’t know if you can get wheels from tire rack or who’re that will fit with winter or all season tires. Either way, be safe.

I'm nearby and would not drive on summer rubber around here. Not so bad if the roads are dry. However, even if it rains and is under 45 degrees you'll be skating. A 1/4" of snow and you can barely move. This is my personal experience with an E55 about 15 years ago. Lesson learned. The weather here as you know is very unpredictable.

Reactions: Proppilot
Well, i had had an EDD that started in March 2022 and had not checked in a few days til yesterday. To my surprise it showed EDD of Jan 2 - 6 AND a VIN! I phoned the delivery center but only got voicemail. Left a message, but as of 2pm today no one had returned my call. So, i just drove over the the delivery center (3 miles from where i live) and walked around the lot until i found my Red/Tan MS LR. There were at least 6 other red/tan MS LRs! Looked great on the outside. Then walked into the building and told the sales staff i just saw my car out there, expecting them to set up an appointment for tomorrow or the next day. Instead they said i could take delivery at 4pm! I didnt argue. But drove home to take personal stuff out of my M3 tradein and get the title, then returned there at 410. The MS was now right out front and freshly washed. It took a little over an hour to go thru various details of purchasing and financing, but drove home at 520pm! So, sometimes it pays to just 'swing by' the delivery center! Tomorrow, i will get the car all set up for my preferences, etc etc. Cant wait!

Attachments

• Washed.jpg
    Washed.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 68
Well, i had had an EDD that started in March 2022 and had not checked in a few days til yesterday. To my surprise it showed EDD of Jan 2 - 6 AND a VIN! I phoned the delivery center but only got voicemail. Left a message, but as of 2pm today no one had returned my call. So, i just drove over the the delivery center (3 miles from where i live) and walked around the lot until i found my Red/Tan MS LR. There were at least 6 other red/tan MS LRs! Looked great on the outside. Then walked into the building and told the sales staff i just saw my car out there, expecting them to set up an appointment for tomorrow or the next day. Instead they said i could take delivery at 4pm! I didnt argue. But drove home to take personal stuff out of my M3 tradein and get the title, then returned there at 410. The MS was now right out front and freshly washed. It took a little over an hour to go thru various details of purchasing and financing, but drove home at 520pm! So, sometimes it pays to just 'swing by' the delivery center! Tomorrow, i will get the car all set up for my preferences, etc etc. Cant wait!

I have a similar configuration with a March EDD.

Now you are going to make me check that app like 5 times a day!

OD 12/21/21
EDD was March—April then now 1/3-1-16
MSM/Black
No VIN, that’s a big jump though
This is bleeding me. This person ordered end of Dec 2021 and taking delivery in 2-3 weeks while I ordered on 6/10/21 for MSM/Black had EDD 12/27-12/31 and then moved to late Jan 2022. I understand Tesla prioritize CA people. This seems more like prioritizing a higher margin car:(:(