Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Plaid and a Long Range model S Jan 28 2021. We also put a deposit on a 2nd long range on 1/29/21 incase we changed our mind about the Plaid. We still haven’t gotten the 2nd long range order (reservation 1144) I got the Plaid early August and the 1st long range the end of Sept. Here is the experience I had. The yoke. I got used to it in about 2 weeks but I have never driven on a tight curvy road where my hands rotated very quickly. The Plaid is scary above 60 mph but both vehicles will give you tunnel vision during full acceleration. After I scared a half a dozen people in my Plaid I got my wife’s Long range and I can say the plaid is not worth the extra money. I could barely tell them apart. I got MSM for both and black interior. The long range handles better (feels a little lighter) rides better (I have 19”tires on the long range and had 21’s on the Plaid) and brakes a little better. (same brakes but lighter car)
The long range has gone up 15k and I’m not surprised because the plaid is not worth $50k more. That was the price difference when I ordered. Tesla is laughing all the way to the bank selling the Plaid for 50k more than the long range. I’m laughing too as I was able to sell my Plaid for $24,000 more than I paid and that was after paying 11k in CA sales tax on that car. I love the Model S LR and I feel strongly that it’s the better deal. I really feel like I dodged a bullet being able to get my money back and then some on the Plaid. It’s only advantage was pulling like a jet aircraft from 60. You really need some smooth large sections of asphalt to pull it off safely. Yes it was amazing but the long range still wows me every time I accelerate beating even Charger hellcats easily.
I can say from my Draggy that the Plaids average 0-60 was 2.41 and the long range was 3.11.
People who think they can feel a difference of 7/10 of a second from zero to 60 are crazy.
The long range will do 11 second quarter miles
at 125mph. That’s crazy.
If you get a Plaid the only reason is not the zero to 60 time it’s the 60 to 150 time. That is where it feels like you are being catapulted off an aircraft carrier. The long range still moves after 60 but the plaid motors seem to spin up faster.
I wish everyone had a chance to try both for a few months because if they did they would be thrilled with their decision to get the long range.
I think it’s the secret Tesla doesn’t want you to know.
Thanks for your comparative review of both Plaid and LR. I started with Plaid+ order and changed to LR. Glad I did, and your assessment made my day.

Awesome assessment!
Wondering how much your opinion on the MSLR changes at current pricing?

I waited too long and didn’t order until after all the price increases 😭…still debating if it’s wiser to save the money and get a MYP or M3P instead?
I hate the thought of compromising and missing out on a lot of additional features though.
I’ve been eyeing the MS for a long time and am finally in a pretty good financial position to be able to afford one, but have never bought a car this expensive before.
my unsolicited banter:
My current car is a Benz S550 - so a decent car.
I thought I'd be practical, and save some bux, so i test drove a 3 and a Y, and decided the Y was the better 'value" to me - a little larger, about the same price, etc. - a neighbor loves his 3 and felt it was more zippy/nimble than an S. He is a double doctor household, so I don't think it was about saving money. BTW, his 3 is blue, and that's possibly a large factor of why I ordered blue - I liked how his looked.

Both my accountant and my buddy said the 3 and Y won't be as luxurious as the Benz, neither would the S, but at least with the S, they wouldn't hear me say, "i'm sorry I got the Y, i should have gotten the S"
I'm fine with the "less luxurious" S. I expect performance up the wazoo. I drove my neighbor's plaid, and was quite happy. I did'nt have 20 minutes to fiddle, adjust the seats, get a crink in my neck, etc. and yeah, i'll miss some benz creature comforts, but I think the S is a rolling platform of tech i can't wait to get into.
I think the 3 and Y are worlds more practical.
but, the tech you get in the S seems otherworldly.
you can also get a prius, or other brands of cars - just about any car will get you from A to B. At 65 mph, any car will go....65 mph.
but what are you looking for?
if you can afford the S, and want it, well, you only go around once (unless you believe in reincarnation)
if $$$ in the bank is worth more to you than the price difference between a 3 or Y, and the S, then by all means get the 3 or Y.
Personally, I've blown more on less.
On the other hand, though I'd LIKE the Plaid, I can't JUSTIFY the price difference. Other folks can.
You (and I) basically have to deal with our FOMO issues - and believe me, I have plenty. My FOMO missing out on the LR was too much. I'm fine missing the extra pop from the Plaid, though at times I thought about biting the bullet -but since my S is locked in at $15k below current, I'd feel stupid tossing that aside.
I'd pay an extra $10k for the Plaid. to me that's often the price difference between say, a V6 and V8, etc. But I didn't feel it was worth the roughly $40k difference at the time.
Again, not knocking folks. some use draggy, go to the track, etc. - me? I drive like an old man. I rarely hit 0-60 in 4.7 on the Benz - 0-60 in 3.1-ish on the LR will be more than insane enough for me. Plus, I won't be surprised if there is a performance unlock in the future for some $$$
lastly, I'll likely dump this in 3 years and get "something" - and i predict it will have 4680 cells. S? Y? 3? no idea, but I plan on a 3 year ownership. i also think prices may drop by then (shortage over, I hope, greater competition, etc.) and I'm hoping my S holds it's value, especially buying it for $15k less.

i'd call the number for the SC
Actually I went digging and the best number to call is Tesla at +1 (888) 518-3752, took 2 mins for them to put a hold on the account but I'm able to remove that hold when I'm ready. Confirmed with the rep that config/price stays the same.

I can't believe years later their scheduling is this bad, less than 48hrs to pick up a car and was told that they will only keep the car for 24 hrs until it's released to another person. So hopefully someone here gets lucky!

Woah i hope this means something for me too. Has there been a pattern for East Coast deliveries? Starts getting assigned from North to South maybe???
Just got my vin
Got a VIN!! NF464. 18-24 Jan. Less than 2 weeks under a year from order date, if this holds. Still kind of in shock.

Where's that fingers crossed emoji...
just got my vin NF465. And date moved up Jan 18-26 rep said shows my car shout be here no later than the 21st ordered in Feb 21 so it’s been a wait. Dallas Texas location so it seems their making their way out of Cali have not seen any LR out here. I got the white on white 21 wheels no fsd. Gotta see the eye doc I think the sun hurts my eyes so I can get a waiver for the darker tint 30 percent wit white interior looks like a flashlight in your car. Keep the faith guys this thread kept me sane during the wait. Appreciate ya

Just got my vin

just got my vin NF465. And date moved up Jan 18-26 rep said shows my car shout be here no later than the 21st ordered in Feb 21 so it’s been a wait. Dallas Texas location so it seems their making their way out of Cali have not seen any LR out here. I got the white on white 21 wheels no fsd. Gotta see the eye doc I think the sun hurts my eyes so I can get a waiver for the darker tint 30 percent wit white interior looks like a flashlight in your car. Keep the faith guys this thread kept me sane during the wait. Appreciate ya
Congrats, my friend. We're two of a kind. Both Feb 21 orders and both White/White/21s.

I sure hope so as well... EDD staying put at Jan6-Feb3 and a deafening silence..... 🤞
My delivery advisor informed me that my car is scheduled for delivery end of Jan thro early Feb. It seems like they will be producing MSM batch around Jan 15. Keep fingers crossed. I know I was supposed to get end of Dec 2021. I take what she said with grain of salt.

my unsolicited banter:
My current car is a Benz S550 - so a decent car.
I thought I'd be practical, and save some bux, so i test drove a 3 and a Y, and decided the Y was the better 'value" to me - a little larger, about the same price, etc. - a neighbor loves his 3 and felt it was more zippy/nimble than an S. He is a double doctor household, so I don't think it was about saving money. BTW, his 3 is blue, and that's possibly a large factor of why I ordered blue - I liked how his looked.

Both my accountant and my buddy said the 3 and Y won't be as luxurious as the Benz, neither would the S, but at least with the S, they wouldn't hear me say, "i'm sorry I got the Y, i should have gotten the S"
I'm fine with the "less luxurious" S. I expect performance up the wazoo. I drove my neighbor's plaid, and was quite happy. I did'nt have 20 minutes to fiddle, adjust the seats, get a crink in my neck, etc. and yeah, i'll miss some benz creature comforts, but I think the S is a rolling platform of tech i can't wait to get into.
I think the 3 and Y are worlds more practical.
but, the tech you get in the S seems otherworldly.
you can also get a prius, or other brands of cars - just about any car will get you from A to B. At 65 mph, any car will go....65 mph.
but what are you looking for?
if you can afford the S, and want it, well, you only go around once (unless you believe in reincarnation)
if $$$ in the bank is worth more to you than the price difference between a 3 or Y, and the S, then by all means get the 3 or Y.
Personally, I've blown more on less.
On the other hand, though I'd LIKE the Plaid, I can't JUSTIFY the price difference. Other folks can.
You (and I) basically have to deal with our FOMO issues - and believe me, I have plenty. My FOMO missing out on the LR was too much. I'm fine missing the extra pop from the Plaid, though at times I thought about biting the bullet -but since my S is locked in at $15k below current, I'd feel stupid tossing that aside.
I'd pay an extra $10k for the Plaid. to me that's often the price difference between say, a V6 and V8, etc. But I didn't feel it was worth the roughly $40k difference at the time.
Again, not knocking folks. some use draggy, go to the track, etc. - me? I drive like an old man. I rarely hit 0-60 in 4.7 on the Benz - 0-60 in 3.1-ish on the LR will be more than insane enough for me. Plus, I won't be surprised if there is a performance unlock in the future for some $$$
lastly, I'll likely dump this in 3 years and get "something" - and i predict it will have 4680 cells. S? Y? 3? no idea, but I plan on a 3 year ownership. i also think prices may drop by then (shortage over, I hope, greater competition, etc.) and I'm hoping my S holds it's value, especially buying it for $15k less.
Thanks for the input, makes sense! You’re right, it’s a no-brainer at 80k. Hate that I didn’t just put a deposit down earlier, but I wasn’t really in the market till a few months ago.

My current car is a 2018 kia stinger gt2 awd so I’m basically looking for similar form factor (sportback/lift back/hatchback) if possible with equal or better performance/handling and a lot better mpg.

Also been waiting for the Tesla EV competition to show up, but nothing I’ve seen that will be released this year (and probably the next) matches up to the price/performance/form factor.