Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery Day yesterday! We had some weird “could only be Tesla” quirks during delivery — floor mats, rear load floor cargo cover + rear privacy cover on back order and will require a service appointment to deliver — and a piece of trim was missing on the right side of the dash (the spot you can only see when the passenger door is open) until we commented. The delivery center crew was really helpful, though, and got us squared away. The black on black looks is as nice as I hoped it would!
Car looks fantastic. Black suits the sleek profile so well. I have it on my M3P and was pretty close to going black again, but remembered that I regretted not getting white the first time around, so figured what the heck, lets change it up. That it was free (instead of $1500 like last time) didn't hurt, either.

So, yesterday I entered my EDD range of Jan 8 - Feb 5. That was the third time the chaos monkey didn’t even bother to adjust the EDD until it was underway…as if the EDD algorithm was designed to taunt and mock the customer instead of communicate information that the customer could rely on for planning purposes…..ok….enough said.

Anywho, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a phone call from a Tesla SA yesterday reconfirming my delivery details (paying cash, no trade-in, transferring my current plates) and telling me that I should expect my car between Jan 8… wait, was he actually saying that the very day he was calling me…Jan 8….was in play for possible delivery when there was no VIN let alone a vehicle anywhere in sight?……yes, he reassured me that I’d have a car between Jan 8 - Feb 5. The last time I received that same call from the delivery team was in October and it was followed by a deafening silence so I took it all with a grain of salt and wished him a pleasant day.

I woke up to a new EDD range today of Jan 23 - Feb 20!

I’m really not in much of a hurry but it is kinda ironic that the customer interface is so poor when the car is so awesome.

I‘m still super excited about the car. The EDD antics are really sad to see. This will be Tesla Numero 5 for me. Tesla used to straight-up nail it on customer service. Now? Not so much.
Well said, and totally agree with your assessment of poor customer service now. Didn't use to be that way. Service was excellent when I got my 2012 MS delivery, and also when I got my 2015 MS, and 2018 M3, but this has been one horrific experience for me with the continuous EDD changes with zero communication on reasons for EDD slippage especially when I am in the window.

...rear load floor cargo cover + rear privacy cover on back order....

Has anyone with a December 2021 or later delivery received these yet? I could really use the floor cargo cover and am tempted to make a temporary plywood version if it is going to take Tesla a few months or more to deliver these.

BTW About 300 miles now on my new Model S and mostly loving it. 😁

Got my MSLR yesterday (2022-01-08). Order date 2021-06-06. White/White-Walnut/19-in-wheels. Pickup in Fremont.

RN1151. This was the third time I had entered my EDD (once in September, once in December), and the first time I had gotten a VIN.

There was some confusion about the delivery date. I got automated messages from Tesla saying "your car will be ready on 1/9" and "your car will be ready on 1/8". Eventually I got a hold of a human from the Fremont delivery team on the phone, and we figured it out.

Pros:
  • Finalizing the delivery steps in the app was easy (with one exception, see below). This is my third Model S, and the first time it was all done in the app.
  • Car is in pretty good shape. No rattling, or obvious missing pieces. Both key cards and key fobs were in the car.
  • Even the floor mats, trunk privacy shelf, and lower trunk cover was there! :)
  • The smaller lower trunk cover for the left cut-out was missing, but they just gave me one.
Cons:
  • Driver-side door takes a little more force to close than the others, and the rubber seals(?) around the driver door window are not as neatly tucked away as for the other doors. It's not something I'll take the car in for, but something I will mention if I ever have to take it in for another reason.
  • The touchless delivery wasn't completely self-service. I had gotten a message with the exact location/parking spot of the car, but it wasn't clear to me that I needed to hit the "take delivery" button in the app *before* I could open/inspect the car. Once you hit that button, your phone will open the car. I had to walk in and ask, and someone had to explain that to me.
  • Setting up the key fobs was finicky. It took many tries until the NFC pad in the phone charging area would recognize the key fob. I'm also not entirely sure whether I actually had to do that - at least one of the key fobs just worked out of the gate. Maybe the other would have worked also, but by then I had gone into the Settings UI and removed an "unknown key fob" from the car. Tip: check whether your key fobs are already paired with the car (see whether they can lock/unlock the car) before attempting to pair them yourself.
That's it so far. I've only driven it a few miles. Love the yoke, but hate the missing indicator stalk - it's gonna take a while to build up that muscle memory.

...rear load floor cargo cover + rear privacy cover on back order....

Has anyone with a December 2021 or later delivery received these yet? I could really use the floor cargo cover and am tempted to make a temporary plywood version if it is going to take Tesla a few months or more to deliver these.

BTW About 300 miles now on my new Model S and mostly loving it. 😁
I got mine a couple of days after delivery.

5 days from entering EDD and BOOM. Now TBD is This mornings update! July Order. 21” MSM White Int.

Attachments

• 7847E5EB-7820-4E62-9F41-4A42DE030E64.jpeg
    7847E5EB-7820-4E62-9F41-4A42DE030E64.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
5 days from entering EDD and BOOM. Now TBD is This mornings update! July Order. 21” MSM White Int.

Mine is a May 2021 order. I also had TBD for my EDD at one point. Before that, the EDD was Dec 27-Dec 31. The TBD lasted a week, then it went to March 2022. A week later, I got my VIN, and the new EDD is Jan 18 - Jan 24th.

As I've stated before, it's best to simply not trust the EDD until you actually get your VIN. And as some of us have had VINs taken away, as I did, even a VIN isn't guaranteed until you've had it for at least 3 days. Good luck to you.

Mine is a May 2021 order. I also had TBD for my EDD at one point. Before that, the EDD was Dec 27-Dec 31. The TBD lasted a week, then it went to March 2022. A week later, I got my VIN, and the new EDD is Jan 18 - Jan 24th.

As I've stated before, it's best to simply not trust the EDD until you actually get your VIN. And as some of us have had VINs taken away, as I did, even a VIN isn't guaranteed until you've had it for at least 3 days. Good luck to you.
Thanks, was anticipating the push, given what’s being said on the forums. But TBD threw me. .OK with waiting for late March, hope to get the refresh of the refresh.