Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. The tail lights look more like a model 3 now. I liked the horizontal bar. I liked that there were visual differences between their entry level and flagship sedans. Oh well, certainly not a deal breaker for me. I'll enjoy it no matter what the tail lights look like. I am hoping for the improved headlights though.
I see your point also. To me, the 2016 version taillights look really outdated to the M3/Y lights for the front and back in my opinion. I'm always happy for change, and Tesla is known for quietly changing things throughout the year which makes the brand more appealing.

Reactions: rdmdriving
I will be placing a hold until the new headlights and tails come to the US. The matrix headlights on my MYP vs my 2017 MX are night/day better. The old dot led taillights look very dated too.
Do we tell the SA to put on hold or just not accept ready for delivery from the app once the VIN is assigned?

I am not in a hurry and do not want to take delivery without the new lights. Now that the cat is out of the bag, I hope Tesla will speed up the rollout of the new lights...

I am not in a hurry and do not want to take delivery without the new lights. Now that the cat is out of the bag, I hope Tesla will speed up the rollout of the new lights...
I don't know if it is the same on the S side of the house, but on the 3/Y side of the house it seems like Tesla is enforcing two new clauses in the order agreement fairly aggressively:

For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.

If you do not take delivery of your Vehicle within ninety (90) days of placing your order at no fault of Tesla’s, we may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee.

I think these were put in the order agreement starting sometime in mid-2021.

I don't know if it is the same on the S side of the house, but on the 3/Y side of the house it seems like Tesla is enforcing two new clauses in the order agreement fairly aggressively:
Thanks. That would suck if I have to take delivery with the old headlight.

I suppose this is why early adopters got a break on the pricing. It will be a tough decision for me to decide whether the new lights are worth a $10k difference if I have to cancel and re-order for a later delivery.

I certainly hope you’re right. A change for change sake makes no sense unless it has value.

See links below of the IIHS rating of the new matrix LED bulb in the Model Y and the old Model S headlights. The Model Y LED Matrix headlights received the highest rating from the IIHS of Good. While the Model S LED reflector lights received the lowest rating of Poor.

Obviously there is no guarantee the new Model S matrix headlight will perform the same or better than the Model 3/Y, but I would guess it would be significantly better than the old headlights.

Model Y LED Projector Headlights = 2022 Tesla Model Y 4-door SUV
Model S LED Reflector Headlights = 2021 Tesla Model S 4-door hatchback

Last edited:
No EDD change for me yet, but from seeing everyone else get pushed back yesterday and today, I'm expecting it any time. I'm 5 days from entering my EDD window on my 1151 order, which is the closest I've come so far. I'd be fine getting pushed back to late Feb (after my vacation), especially if it means getting the updated lights.
Same window, different builds. I'd be curious to see who gets pushed back because that might be indicative of what configs they are cranking out (MSM vs Black).

whats funny..if the new taillights were what we had for the past years, and the ones getting added now were the old ones? We'd be saying "man, the new lights with the bar across the middle look SO GOOD". lol
People just like change sometimes. And change isnt always "good". Sometimes its just..different.
LED lights in general have gone from ‘discrete’ in appearance to ‘continuous’ over time. The lights of the X, 3, and Y look more contemporary than those of the current S. The S looks very dated.

The body lines themselves are timeless and will hopefully only slowly and subtly change. Much like the 911.

My order RN1147, Blue/Black 19" just got pushed back to Jan 24-Feb 20.

Do we tell the SA to put on hold or just not accept ready for delivery from the app once the VIN is assigned?

@MP3Mike is correct. They have been threatening to cancel orders for 3/Y, but I think that was related to end of year and people trying to delay until the potential federal tax credit in 2022.

Regarding your SA, when you get a VIN assigned just tell your SA you are not available for delivery until you feel comfortable that you are getting an updated car.

My order RN1147, Blue/Black 19" just got pushed back to Jan 24-Feb 20.

@MP3Mike is correct. They have been threatening to cancel orders for 3/Y, but I think that was related to end of year and people trying to delay until the potential federal tax credit in 2022.

Regarding your SA, when you get a VIN assigned just tell your SA you are not available for delivery until you feel comfortable that you are getting an updated car.

I just emailed my SA to see if I can put a hold on my delivery since I don't have a VIN assigned yet.

Reactions: rdmdriving and VikH
whats funny..if the new taillights were what we had for the past years, and the ones getting added now were the old ones? We'd be saying "man, the new lights with the bar across the middle look SO GOOD". lol
People just like change sometimes. And change isnt always "good". Sometimes its just..different.
i think exactly this - though i would like matrix headlights.

Just got voicemail/email/text asking to schedule delivery between 1/11-1/15. Scheduled one on 1/14.

This is the last chance I’m giving them to delivery my car. I have decided not to get the vehicle if they unassign VIN again or if I have to reject delivery due to quality issues.
Damn it. I really want the new lights. Been on my wishlist since I ordered. Will probably hold/reject my current VIN. Waited this long already, rather wait longer to get everything I want. Also feels nice to be rejecting Tesla for once rather than the other way around.

Damn it. I really want the new lights. Been on my wishlist since I ordered. Will probably hold/reject my current VIN. Waited this long already, rather wait longer to get everything I want. Also feels nice to be rejecting Tesla for once rather than the other way around.
I am probably the only guy here that thinks the lights on my MSLR are just fine ! I drive home at night 30 miles from work and 1/3 is on a two lane country road and have no concerns. Now that being said, the Engineer in me always gets bummed knowing the minute I buy something, something newer will come out and thus it does. As for the back end, not for me. I love it the way it is and think the new design looks like a M3 and no longer distinguished. I am quite happy with the LED headlamps but know that if/when the matric come out and they can be retrofitted, I will be at the front of the line..... I digress :-| Interestingly when I decided to buy my LR I had NO idea that a refresh was in the works and was 100% happy to be buying the pre-refresh Model S of 2020 lore. It was only when I actually went to the Tesla site to figure out the purchase (Feb 2021) that I saw the refresh and was thrilled with the redesign. As per other comments. We all love something until something new comes along .... ah to be Human....