Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello all! would love some feedback. I was randomly on the tesla site this morning, and saw that a black on black LR was available so I immediately reserved it. After booking i noticed that it was a 2021. Given the inventory crisis, I called tesla and asked why on earth would this car still be available which he explained that more than likely the car required minor repairs such as dents, window damage, scratches but they weren’t able to fix it right away Bc of the backlog and prob just got completed recently. He also looked up the cars history and found no reported carfax inquiries or damage disclosures attached. I personally dont mind that its a 2021 as these cars retain their values but do any of you think something is off here or other red flags I should be looking out for? FYI VIN is MF428

hello all! would love some feedback. I was randomly on the tesla site this morning, and saw that a black on black LR was available so I immediately reserved it. After booking i noticed that it was a 2021. Given the inventory crisis, I called tesla and asked why on earth would this car still be available which he explained that more than likely the car required minor repairs such as dents, window damage, scratches but they weren’t able to fix it right away Bc of the backlog and prob just got completed recently. He also looked up the cars history and found no reported carfax inquiries or damage disclosures attached. I personally dont mind that its a 2021 as these cars retain their values but do any of you think something is off here or other red flags I should be looking out for? FYI VIN is MF428
Definitely a summer 2021 build, around June. I personally wouldn’t get it after passing on a MF430 my SA tried to give me. Resale value and knowing the car doesn’t have missing parts or damage off the line is important to me.

I would probably pass as well. It was made 7 months ago. No way of know what all was required to make it salable. I totally understand the desire to get one while available.

As chrisdh79 said, I'd also be concerned about resale value as it is already a model year old. On the plus side, no real changes since it came out. If I was getting it at the lower price it was at that time, and not the 90K+ price, I'd be less concerned. Full price, for a year old car and who knows what kind of damage/issues it had, it would be a hard pass from me.

Is it marked down any at all? If not, I'd 100% pass. (Tesla USED to mark down cars like this by many thousands of dollars. Now that demand is through the roof, they dont have to because multiple buyers will line up to pay full price)

Reactions: rdmdriving
By reading on TMC sometime back it seems like Teslas are sent by freight trains by Union Pacific or BNSF. According to what I read Chicago is the train destination for north-east and mid-west and Birmingham, AL is the train destination for south and south-east deliveries. For us in the mid-Atlantic we need to get the cars from one those destinations. I have heard thro other forums and people seeing cars on I 95 who were told by their SCs that the cars come from NJ to us. On this forum someone wrote that cars come to NJ by train and that is the part I am not sure. It is possible they are transported by those big trucks from Chicago to NJ and then come to mid-Atlantic. Are we getting cars straight from Chicago instead of NJ? I don't know the answer.
In looking at a sample of the recent VINs, their order dates, and the locations where they are delivered to it seems like Tesla's logistics of shipping to Birmingham is not as affected as the shipping to Chicago. Obviously, weather may be a huge factor. I have seen people in TN or GA who ordered much later than me taking delivery which may be due to shipping logistics. I recently saw an inventory car with my configuration in TN also. Maybe Tesla should prioritize shipments by freight trains to Chicago from Mar thro Nov if they want to deliver cars in a timely manner and not disappoint reservation holders. As I have previously pointed out we in Mid-Atlantic region are the forgotten people and their final shipment destination seems to have issues.

I have tried several times. Somebody on TMC was able to do it but I have been unsuccessful. I've even found my exact match in a different region and they said no. They said I could buy it the current price but not with my 79k price point that I got with my rn1151 order. Worth a try but maybe difficult to do.

Anyone tried to snag an inventory car that is in transit or in another region? I'm in the process of attempting that it Tesla is acting as though they've no experience with that.

I have tried several times. Somebody on TMC was able to do it but I have been unsuccessful. I've even found my exact match in a different region and they said no. They said I could buy it the current price but not with my 79k price point that I got with my rn1151 order. Worth a try but maybe difficult to do.

Success! I think. Managed to talk to several people, including my assigned advisor for the first time ever (he never returned calls, texts, emails, etc. You know the drill). A car similar to my order has supposedly been reassigned to me. I now have. VIN (NF468963) and updated delivery date! Fingers are crossed...

The old style taillight has a lot of dead space next to the charge port. The new port utilizes this area and they made the light in the housing smaller. I also don’t think the tail gate is new. In the new car I can see a line above where the old appliqué sits. I am betting it’s a body colored plastic snap on.

I certainly could be wrong but I am basing this on how Tesla does updates (minimally). For example, the model x refresh does not have any new body panels except for the bumpers.
That is certainly possible. The pictures of the new tail lights are so poor, you can't make out what the area of the old trim piece looks like. It would make it easier to just create a snap in piece to fill in the spot where it used to go into the old tail light. Using more of the wrap around part of the light for a larger charging port also makes sense. If this is true, it would make retrofitting the new tail lights fairly straightforward, if expensive. Then again, I kind of prefer the old ones with the horizontal bar which differentiates it from the model 3.

Reactions: VikH and rdmdriving
It seems alot of people EDD is getting pushed forward and windows getting smaller. I wonder if Tesla is preparing a mass train shipment for june-aug orders?
My EDD just got pushed from Feb to May 19-June 16. First time I have had a specific date range. My EDD has changed so many times since OD of 6/24/21. Looks like wait will probably be close to, if not over a year. i am sure my lower base purchase price isnt helping.

Based on what I read on these treads, similar OD‘s and configs are being delivered to the east and west coast. Not so many to the Midwest. Can only assume it a logistics issue, probably with trains.

My EDD just got pushed from Feb to May 19-June 16. First time I have had a specific date range. My EDD has changed so many times since OD of 6/24/21. Looks like wait will probably be close to, if not over a year. i am sure my lower base purchase price isnt helping.

Based on what I read on these treads, similar OD‘s and configs are being delivered to the east and west coast. Not so many to the Midwest. Can only assume it a logistics issue, probably with trains.
Ya it seems a logistics issue for Midwest people. It seems their ready to ship for the south.

Does anyone know if this will delay my EDD? I'd be happy to re-apply, but I've heard that credit offers only last for a month or two before expiring.

e7b86b9fbb6fce4b607817b58f4486b0 (1).png

Does anyone know if this will delay my EDD? I'd be happy to re-apply, but I've heard that credit offers only last for a month or two before expiring.

View attachment 758910
It won't, I'd call your SA and move your order to cash and switch it back to financing once you get a VIN. Otherwise you're going to be getting constant hard pulls on you credit everytime it expires and you reapply.