Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an addendum to the above post.
Under my multiple car and home bundle my quote was about $160 per month to add the MSLR. So this will be a no-brainer should I in fact ever get the car.
I also asked how much a Plaid would cost to insure, but they didn't have a dummy VIN to plug into the system. I asked because when March rolls around I'll need a vehicle. I think if I were to order the Plaid now, I'd have it in a month.
Yes, I'm getting ready to give up on the MSLR.
RN1152 have the exact same config and I picked mine up last Saturday. I honestly think you should get urs before EDD. Good luck!

I am curious why you are not getting a Plaid, since the price point for the Lucid is more in line with the Plaid. I would not think folks would cross shop the Long Range with the Lucid...
I'm specifically cross-shopping the Touring model (the LR equivalent, not the Plaid equivalent), which come in at roughly the same price. My delivery advisor with Lucid mentioned they'd likely have test drives starting sometime this quarter so we'll see.

Reactions: rdmdriving
I'm specifically cross-shopping the Touring model (the LR equivalent, not the Plaid equivalent), which come in at roughly the same price. My delivery advisor with Lucid mentioned they'd likely have test drives starting sometime this quarter so we'll see.

There was a new Lucid getting the PPF same time as my wife's MYP. Like the front, hated the two tone (roof/body), looked like a Cadi inside, different colored seats (front and back) were nice. Can't say exterior fit and finish were significantly better than the Y. Interior, certainly. Not sure how it compares to an S on the inside.

For those folks who live in snow country, I wanted to relate my recent experience with my Feb 9 upcoming delivery. My Model S LR has 19" wheels and living in northern Vermont, every fool here knows you cant drive around in our winter temps and snow on summer tires. I had been hearing that some recent deliveries were coming in with the summer tires to the snow belt states and I was worried about what shoes my car would be delivered with. To that end I placed a call to Tesla (1-888-518-3752) and got a young fellow on the line. I asked if he could tell me if my car was coming with All Season or Summer tires. He did not know but promised to text me an answer when he found out. He was a new employee and could not quite figure the computer system out on that detail.
Today he finally texts me back and says it will have summer tires. So, since I have to drive 4.5hrs south to Paramus NJ in early February then drive home with my new car, I was not going to want to make that trip on summer rubber. Its been brutally cold and snowy this winter (minus zero temps) and the forecast for my delivery date is more of the same. Summer tires turn to rock hard cement and any snow could be a real safety threat on Vermont's roads. I called the Paramus delivery center phone number and finally got a district rep for New Jersey. He told me that I would have to buy All Season tires myself. I told him that the Tesla owners manual crisply spells out summer tires not being safe for winter and that it would be unethical for Tesla to sell me a car that was unsafe and violated their own documentation on the topic. I asked him to do the right thing and swap the tires with the correct ones. He refused, rather said I could pay for the tires myself and have them mounted wherever I would like. At this point I realized he was playing whatever script they are told to play so I asked him to escalate my concerns to his management. At some point you realize there is someone who is not authorized to make any change to the scripted answer.
In less than 15 minutes I received a call from the manager of the Tesla Delivery Center in Paramus, NJ. He was about 180 degrees apart from the previous Tesla guy. He had reviewed my feedback and told me no one should be driving from NJ to the wilds of Vermont mid winter on summer tires, all wheel drive or not, its not safe. They had a large order of the tires on route to them with the usual delays due to weather maybe making my delivery slip out a day or so but he would do everything he could to do the swap before my pickup and no cost to me what so ever. Score one for the squeaky wheel. Perhaps it was the mention of legal action should I be driving my knowingly unsafe summer tires in a Vermont winter and having an accident that swayed them?
Hope others in the cold snowy climes can use this story.

RN1152 have the exact same config and I picked mine up last Saturday. I honestly think you should get urs before EDD. Good luck!
I've seen deliveries of my config here on the board. Newer orders, East coast, West coast, the South and the North. What's really starting to tip things for me in favor of a Plaid is all of the orders much older than mine still out there waiting. If I knew for a fact I'd get delivery in April, I'd not think twice about waiting. But there's absolutely nothing that's telling me I'm going to get this car in the future at the moment. I've been inside a 4 day window in December and not received a VIN for one reason or another. Not to mention having delivery of the a MF428 scheduled twice at the end of the year, only to be cancelled.
Honestly, I just want this off my plate. Looking in the mirror and complaining about not being able to buy my expensive car, is too much of a first world problem for me to go on with much longer. I'm truly happy for all the people who have taken delivery. I also gives some semblance of hope to the rest of us to keep waiting. But for how long? Over a year for some on this board. God bless them.

I've seen deliveries of my config here on the board. Newer orders, East coast, West coast, the South and the North. What's really starting to tip things for me in favor of a Plaid is all of the orders much older than mine still out there waiting. If I knew for a fact I'd get delivery in April, I'd not think twice about waiting. But there's absolutely nothing that's telling me I'm going to get this car in the future at the moment. I've been inside a 4 day window in December and not received a VIN for one reason or another. Not to mention having delivery of the a MF428 scheduled twice at the end of the year, only to be cancelled.
Honestly, I just want this off my plate. Looking in the mirror and complaining about not being able to buy my expensive car, is too much of a first world problem for me to go on with much longer. I'm truly happy for all the people who have taken delivery. I also gives some semblance of hope to the rest of us to keep waiting. But for how long? Over a year for some on this board. God bless them.
It seems like MSM configuration is the hold up and specifically in delivering to places like yours or ours with logistics issues. I also saw 4 days window 12/27-12/31.

Yes, they do have lot of information. One of the reasons I didn't want to get the Safe Drive discount from SF. It was like Tesla's FSD safety score and it will score you how your turn is and how quickly you accelerate etc. The discount on the rate was not much for me to have them monitor every move my car makes. $1800 just for both cars for a year not including home owners and umbrella is not bad. After my daughter's Prius was recently ( a month ago) stolen and deemed total loss I did file a claim. Now I bought a 2022 Corolla with some additional options and registering under my name in MD as she is just 22 and works as an ES teacher in NC and just started. I did not want her to go thro a high insurance rate. So, that 2022 Toyota, my 2022 MSLR, and my Outback will increase just my auto premium to around $3k excluding the home and umbrella. Insurance rates are very high! As you mentioned, insurance companies want us to see if we paid attention to the rates and they won't volunteer that information.

Yeah I do not want anyone monitoring my driving, I drive very aggressive and would surely fail all those metrics.

Our other vehicle is an X3M Competition which is very quick, fantastic brakes for quick stops and superb handling for an SUV. To my delight the Model S will be even faster in a straight line. TBD on the other metrics like Braking (which I hear is inadequate) and Handling. Bottom line is it will be driven hard at times and I do not want insurance raising my rates as a result either :)

I checked Liberty Mutual a few weeks ago to get an idea of what to expect before my final decision to buy my MS. I got a quote of $2k for the year. Once I get a VIN and delivery date I’ll do the real application and post what rate I actually get.
I am getting online quotes of $400+/month for all major auto insurance companies (Geico, Progressive, Libery Mutual) with minimum packages for my upcoming 2022 MS LR. This is my first ever car purchase, I have held a DL for more than 5 years, never had any accidents or tickets. Not sure why the the insurance premiums are so high. Has anyone had similar experience? What was your solution, did you had to call them, negotiate?

Also, if this has already been answered before, please share the link, that'll be helpful.

Thanks

Similar to ExpatPR, I pay $2200 a year through NJ Manufacturer's Insurance in New Jersey.

I am getting online quotes of $400+/month for all major auto insurance companies (Geico, Progressive, Libery Mutual) with minimum packages for my upcoming 2022 MS LR. This is my first ever car purchase, I have held a DL for more than 5 years, never had any accidents or tickets. Not sure why the the insurance premiums are so high. Has anyone had similar experience? What was your solution, did you had to call them, negotiate?

Also, if this has already been answered before, please share the link, that'll be helpful.

Thanks
Get quotes from *every* insurance company you can find, check local insurance brokers too. I had a massive difference in price from different insurers, from $100 a month to $450 a month. For me, the cheapest was Progressive and the second cheapest was State Farm. The most expensive was Allstate.

Rates will vary wildly based on age, sex, location, history, and even your credit score will often factor into it.

Something that is frustrating is in Portland, OR they are now doing at home delivery only. They said this is the new policy for anyone in the area (other than WA residents) and there are no exceptions. I know this has also been going on at some of the Cali locations as well. I pushed back and tried but they more or less said that I can either do it this way or forefit the car as "not being available" nothing new but the CS sucks. I'll be looking it over very carefully in the driveway before officially signing for it and accepting it.

Something that is frustrating is in Portland, OR they are now doing at home delivery only. They said this is the new policy for anyone in the area (other than WA residents) and there are no exceptions. I know this has also been going on at some of the Cali locations as well. I pushed back and tried but they more or less said that I can either do it this way or forefit the car as "not being available" nothing new but the CS sucks. I'll be looking it over very carefully in the driveway before officially signing for it and accepting it.
That is frustrating. I know our dealer had mentioned that months ago like 6+ when I first thought I was going to get the car.

I personally do not want home delivery. I want to be the one that drives it off the lot and gets that satisfaction putting the first 25 miles to my house.

They sent me another orientation email. This time the correct one.
Still no text to schedule delivery.
1643674295048.png

That is frustrating. I know our dealer had mentioned that months ago like 6+ when I first thought I was going to get the car.

I personally do not want home delivery. I want to be the one that drives it off the lot and gets that satisfaction putting the first 25 miles to my house.

I agree, I do understand how they have developed a system and when someone wants to break that system it causes problems. They seem to be very firm on this policy and I have decided it's really not worth fighting with empolyees and running it up the flag pole to maybe finally get them to accept my request. At some point you have to choose your battles.

The brief answer is insurance depends on the specific market and the risk pool of insurers they insure and the other variables considered for each insurer such as their age, claim history, number of vehicles insured, any bundling of insurance such as home owner's and /umbrella policy. Some insurers like USAA are limited to only military members and the numbers won't have any bearing on what you are looking for. So, it is difficult to get an absolute answer from here. Your local Tesla Owner's club members for Boston and immediate vicinity area may have numbers for a specific insurer closer to what you are looking for.
That said, in MD , when I bought my 2017 Tesla Model S and shopping for rates for a total of 3 cars registered under my name bundling with home owners's insurance and an umbrella policy I found out that insurance for MS in 2017 in MD was close to $1600 a year in spite of many yrs of driving experience and no accidents. The next year for my 2018 MS it went up to $1800 per year without any claim history. I was already told by State Farm ( SF was the cheapest for my bundling in 2017 compared to GEICO, Progressive, etc etc) that for my 2022 MS my rate will be easily $2000 this year. Go figure! I was told Teslas cost a lot to insure because of the sensors, build, and parts availability. I think I will pay what they ask for all three cars and my bundled policy in my area where insurance is higher.
Check Farmers. I am paying around $115 a month. Also have 3 cars, house, umbrella with them and 3 people (wife, son - 16, and me).

Get quotes from *every* insurance company you can find, check local insurance brokers too. I had a massive difference in price from different insurers, from $100 a month to $450 a month. For me, the cheapest was Progressive and the second cheapest was State Farm. The most expensive was Allstate.

Rates will vary wildly based on age, sex, location, history, and even your credit score will often factor into it.
Totally agree!
I just got finished shopping insurance today. Got quotes from Costco (AmFam), State Farm, Progressive, Nationwide, Travelers, Allstate, and Geico (my current home/auto).

I also experienced a fairly wide range of numbers for the same coverage.
Allstate was highest at $294/month.
Travelers and Geico were a little under $200/month.
The rest were all about $130/month.

Got tired and just ended up going with Progressive because the combined auto and home insurance was the best deal for me and ended up saving me around $750/yr vs continuing with Geico!

34/F/VA with a pretty clean driving record though (minus one more recent speeding ticket….gahhhh those darn DC speeding cameras…)

I agree, I do understand how they have developed a system and when someone wants to break that system it causes problems. They seem to be very firm on this policy and I have decided it's really not worth fighting with empolyees and running it up the flag pole to maybe finally get them to accept my request. At some point you have to choose your battles.

Yep, I suspect I will have to cross that bridge to at some point too. Logistically it would be more helpful to have the home delivery as we will have to drive two cars there and then there is the argument of who gets to drive the Tesla home :)

Got bigger things to worry about at this moment, like the never ending EDD cycle.

Check Farmers. I am paying around $115 a month. Also have 3 cars, house, umbrella with them and 3 people (wife, son - 16, and me).
Since i just claimed for the stolen car as total loss I am not sure how that will affect my rates tho if i switch. Have been with SF for 5 yrs and this was the first claim and it will go on my record even tho it was for a stolen car. It will be just me and my 22yo whom they are covering even tho she is in NC and we both will be on that car's policy. Seems little complicated to switch at this time.

• Informative
Reactions: RxVanco
I am curious why you are not getting a Plaid, since the price point for the Lucid is more in line with the Plaid. I would not think folks would cross shop the Long Range with the Lucid...
I originally had an air reservation for I believe touring (2 motor) and it was less than 100k with the tax credit, however all the options were unpriced and they could not provide pricing. I was worried that would turn into 20k

Reactions: chrisdh79