Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s why you shouldn’t accept summer tires in an area where it snows. Took delivery a week ago and they said that summer tires are normal for Utah and if I rejected it my order would be canceled. Now I know that’s BS but after 8 months I accepted it. I figured I could put winter tires on next winter. Snowed here but left for a meeting - roads wet but not slick. Started snowing and while driving home I was really careful. Going slow, leaving a lot of room. Car started sliding and I hit the breaks but it bumped into the truck. No damage to him, but you can see what happened to me. Can this be fixed or am I looking at a new hood? I figure the latter. Bumper isn’t damaged just might need some new clips and be pushed back in. No marks on it. I’m really sick to my stomach and kicking myself for not rejecting the car until they would put on A/S tires. 😢
That sucks. Very lucky it was not worse. I am sorry that it happened but there is zero reason to drive any vehicle in sub 40* temps with summer tires. especially on snow/ice/wet. Shame on Tesla for not taking it more serious. Do you have anything in writing from them? Maybe you can get them to fix the damage and get you a/s.

That sucks. Very lucky it was not worse. I am sorry that it happened but there is zero reason to drive any vehicle in sub 40* temps with summer tires. especially on snow/ice/wet. Shame on Tesla for not taking it more serious. Do you have anything in writing from them? Maybe you can get them to fix the damage and get you a/s.
Nothing in writing. And you’re right. I had no business driving anywhere In these conditions.

Nothing in writing. And you’re right. I had no business driving anywhere In these conditions.

Based on my extensive research, summer tires are fine to drive in cold weather as long as it's completely dry outside and not below freezing. As soon as there's rain and God forbid snow, it's an absolute shitshow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nealw98
Based on my extensive research, summer tires are fine to drive in cold weather as long as it's completely dry outside. As soon as there's rain and God forbid snow, it's an absolute shitshow.

Edit: My research was done for the Pilot Sport 4S tires that come with the 21" wheels. Not sure about the summer tires Tesla mounts on the 19" wheels.

Last edited:
They said I’d have to pay for it. I wish I’d made a bigger deal out of it. Painful lesson learned.
My wait was 7 months so I feel your pain. I checked several times before my car was built and they told me that A/S tires would be on my car shipped to Chicago. When it arrived in December, I had the service center check and they told me that yes it had A/S tires on it. When I arrived to pick it up 2 days later, I inspected and sure enough it had summer tires on it. I had check in hand for the full amount and told them I would not pay for it without an agreement to change out the tires. It took the manager about 15 minutes to meet with me and agree to schedule a service call to change out the tires at no charge. I then handed over the check and competed the transaction. While that was being completed, they magically same up with a set of A/S tires and had them installed while I waited for another hour.

I often wonder if they were just swapping out tires and rims from other new cars to appease the persistent customers like me.

That is crazy that they didn't take care of you and swap out your tires for A/S versions for free at pickup time. I would really push it now and get them to trade out the tires to prevent your lawsuit against their negligence in delivering your car with summer tires. Do you have any friends who are lawyers that would send them a threatening letter?

My wait was 7 months so I feel your pain. I checked several times before my car was built and they told me that A/S tires would be on my car shipped to Chicago. When it arrived in December, I had the service center check and they told me that yes it had A/S tires on it. When I arrived to pick it up 2 days later, I inspected and sure enough it had summer tires on it. I had check in hand for the full amount and told them I would not pay for it without an agreement to change out the tires. It took the manager about 15 minutes to meet with me and agree to schedule a service call to change out the tires at no charge. I then handed over the check and competed the transaction. While that was being completed, they magically same up with a set of A/S tires and had them installed while I waited for another hour.

I often wonder if they were just swapping out tires and rims from other new cars to appease the persistent customers like me.

That is crazy that they didn't take care of you and swap out your tires for A/S versions for free at pickup time. I would really push it now and get them to trade out the tires to prevent your lawsuit against their negligence in delivering your car with summer tires. Do you have any friends who are lawyers that would send them a threatening letter?
Thanks! I’ll look around for a lawyer in my group of friends. No one comes to mind. It would be great for them to swap the tires and replace the hood. Doubt anything will happen but worth a try.

Reactions: Jabbahop
Here’s why you shouldn’t accept summer tires in an area where it snows. Took delivery a week ago and they said that summer tires are normal for Utah and if I rejected it my order would be canceled. Now I know that’s BS but after 8 months I accepted it. I figured I could put winter tires on next winter. Snowed here but left for a meeting - roads wet but not slick. Started snowing and while driving home I was really careful. Going slow, leaving a lot of room. Car started sliding and I hit the breaks but it bumped into the truck. No damage to him, but you can see what happened to me. Can this be fixed or am I looking at a new hood? I figure the latter. Bumper isn’t damaged just might need some new clips and be pushed back in. No marks on it. I’m really sick to my stomach and kicking myself for not rejecting the car until they would put on A/S tires. 😢
FYI - I took delivery of our MS LR in December in SLC and it had All Season tires (19” wheels) so their statement that “summer tires are normal in Utah“ is BS. There were some Plaids with 21” wheels being delivered then with summer tires though.

I took delivery a week or so ago and dropped the car off for front PPF plus lower rockers and rear fenders as well as a couple applications of ceramic….and….installed Martian forged wheels. I really like the way it came out…my photography skills are pretty weak but here are a couple pics.

Tires: I was given a choice of either Conti AS tires or Pirelli P Zero Summer Performance Tires. I don’t like the Contis (personal pref for Michelins for AS and winter tires here in the Northeast). I definitely wanted the Pirellis for Spring and Summer and I’m not planning on much/any driving for the next couple weeks so I took delivery with Pirellis. Spring can’t come to NY soon enough!

Delivery: Flawless. Mt Kisco SC has done a good job every time in my experience (fifth car I’ve purchased there).

Build: Very good. No issues. I’ve driven less than 200 miles so far so I’m really just commenting on fit, finish, aesthetics at this point. Hopefully mechanically equal to or better than the fit and finish. Drive has been great initially so we shall see.

Other stuff: Installed the Tesla F&R mats. I’ll put the Tesmanian trunk, trunk well and frunk set in this weekend. Also, bought the RPM matte carbon fiber spoiler. That’ll be a weekend install too. Got the Snap plate.

Yeah, so here it is…..

Attachments

• D1FB4D07-5019-4B78-ABC8-A86E31F2F963.jpeg
    D1FB4D07-5019-4B78-ABC8-A86E31F2F963.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 104
  • 0205AEF1-5CC0-40AB-B607-C1EE45FCAEDD.jpeg
    0205AEF1-5CC0-40AB-B607-C1EE45FCAEDD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • 8909100F-CA3B-413E-A9AC-F313F39F5EBF.jpeg
    8909100F-CA3B-413E-A9AC-F313F39F5EBF.jpeg
    1,005.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 7FAC7B35-5732-4823-8A07-23B208F79D28.jpeg
    7FAC7B35-5732-4823-8A07-23B208F79D28.jpeg
    976.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 4AB5AAA5-F9CD-4063-BF3D-AEB1378ACC3F.jpeg
    4AB5AAA5-F9CD-4063-BF3D-AEB1378ACC3F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • 99FE2D72-54D5-4659-9CF5-35E106516C81.jpeg
    99FE2D72-54D5-4659-9CF5-35E106516C81.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
Took delivery today in Princeton NJ. RN1153 ordered July 2021. Biggest issue was it had summer tires. They stepped up and sent an uber to bring up all season tired from the Cherry Hill NJ location. Took me time to do all of my checks anyway so wasn't a big deal. A few small issues came up from the checklist provided here - they took care of all of it. Missing the privacy shelf in the trunk - gave me written confirmation that it's coming and they'll deliver it to me when ready.

Great experience.

You cannot join the forum in 2021 and make a statement like that. People have been complaining about the headlight output since 2016!

Don't say "No one here wanted..." I did on my 2020 before the Palladium even existed, and I was not the only one. My 2013 had better light output.
This specific forum is 8 1/2 months old, can you show me where people complained about the headlights here on the refresh before they heard the rumor that new ones might be coming. I heard complaints about the controls on the Yoke steering wheel and even the Yoke but no complaints about headlights here.

Took delivery today in Princeton NJ. RN1153 ordered July 2021. Biggest issue was it had summer tires. They stepped up and sent an uber to bring up all season tired from the Cherry Hill NJ location. Took me time to do all of my checks anyway so wasn't a big deal. A few small issues came up from the checklist provided here - they took care of all of it. Missing the privacy shelf in the trunk - gave me written confirmation that it's coming and they'll deliver it to me when ready.

Great experience.
Enjoy!

Same order time, RN and pickup location. Stopped by there last night to see if the car was there and prepped. Still had some wrapping. This did have the AS shoes with pretty dirty sidewalls. Noticed missing trunk covers and privacy shelf. Will see how it turns out in about 6 hours.

Not going to be able to get back to sleep now.

People have lost their minds when it comes to PPF and the value of money. I have invested $10,000 in stocks which basically bought my Tesla LR 17 years later with the gains I made. It’s a clear film for your car that adheres with water. This strange vehicle worship is causing people to lose their minds. Put some PPF on the front and call it a day. It’s nuts how many people spend thousands on PPF only to sell their car in a few years. Absolutely nuts. Don’t even get me started on the FSD that people buy that isn’t even working yet. Talk about being out of touch with the value of a dollar.
Oddly, despite having about 80% PPF on our last three or four Teslas, I'm in a bit of agreement with this post re: PPF. (But we'll still do it on our next cars, probably.)

Sadly, I'm in 100% agreement vis-a-vis FSD: we've had it on our all of our Teslas since it was a thing back in, what, 2016 or so? A remarkably large waste of money thus far.

Granted, we've helped fund Elon's Grand FSD Experiment, but our problem is that we often trade the cars in to Tesla, where they seemingly enjoy bending us over (and perhaps laughing at us while doing so), despite the current $12,000 cost for FSD.

Here's a case in point, from literally last month (31 January, 2022):

Trade-In: 2020 MS Performance, ~7k miles, 21" Arachnids, MC Red over White, 80% wrapped in clear PPF (essentially flawless condition, except for some rim rash), AND FSD.

Value given to us by Tesla: ~$83k

This despite Elon's (or Zach's) comment in an earnings call that they certainly give FSD buyers credit for that FSD on trade in . . . yeah, sure they do. Perhaps it's $10 or even as much as $20!

(WARNING: for your own safety, please be sitting down when you read this next part.)
Current price of this trade-in (subject to daily or hourly revisions, of course) as posted BY TESLA at this very minute: $104.7. (I think it sold for just over $100k, however.)

New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

So Tesla's value of PPF on about 80% of that MS Performance, and FSD, was/is ZERO on trade-in. How do I know? They ask for five or six pictures and that's how they determine the value of your trade-in. Great job Tesla.

Yet I still plan to have at least one of our next two Tesla's 100% wrapped in PPF as we're part of a Group Buy that makes the price almost reasonable (~$4k each), because I may have some form of OCD and the new aft body of the MS flares out like a Porsche 911 which says, "Please CHIP, NICK, AND GOUGE my paint" to every damn rock on the road.

I may need some psychiatric help.

At least we've learned our lesson on FSD: for now, Elon can pound sand. After touching the damn stove about six times, we're sure as Hell NOT buying FSD at $12,000. Summon is more of a joke than anything. Autopark? Ditto--can take twice or three times as long as doing it yourself. Navigate on Autopilot? Nah, tired of scaring myself and other drivers with the stupidly dumb (and sometimes abrupt) lane changes. Don't even get me started on the "Safety Score From Hell," where the only way to get into the 90's is to drive like your 90-year old grandmother, and ONLY drive when there is ZERO traffic, perhaps at 0300h. After weeks of trying to get a score in the required high-90's, we just gave up and watched FSD become another Tesla "Gotcha!"

Hope I don't sound too bitter, but the only reasons we're still with Tesla is that all of these Teslas were effectively free many, many times over (began buying TSLA shares in 2013, a lot of them since then), and because of the overarching mission of Tesla which is pretty important given this little orb is our only livable planet.

(But being bent over still hurts. As you can see in our latest example, Tesla just seems to enjoy having their way with their best customers.)

This specific forum is 8 1/2 months old, can you show me where people complained about the headlights here on the refresh before they heard the rumor that new ones might be coming. I heard complaints about the controls on the Yoke steering wheel and even the Yoke but no complaints about headlights here.
A quick google search, the top posts are from TMC. Headlights wouldn’t be talked about specifically in the delivery thread but in others. IIHS has rated the headlights poor for 5 years. I posted the link to IIHS 2 days ago on this thread.

Reactions: WilliamG

Being also in Chicago area I must have A/S tires.
roc-noc you mentioned you checked several times before your car was built and they told you that A/S tires would be put on the car.
Who exactly did you check with. Since I ordered in July online I have not spoken to anyone and really don't know who to call. Should I just call the Tesla national number?

Reactions: chrisdh79