Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the sale of my car came quicker than anticipated and needing a second car I couldn't wait for my reservation to come in. I was able to find a 2022 with less than 300 miles with the exact build as mine with FSD included. Picked it from Albuquerque and drive it to San Diego, no squeeks or rattles .
hc_1645908831784.jpg

My 1143 just had another shift back down to a 2 week window, Mar 11-24.

For everyone who now says “OMG, 1143…?” Yes. I’ve said in here a few times. I’m convinced Tesla has been delaying a lot of people with old orders in hopes they will cancel since our price is $17k less than a new order.

Not as patient as you, and if I was, I'd be afraid my patience would be "Rewarded" by being offered a rejected, or off spec car.

However, if I were in your shoes, I'd accept the car and know that with 17k off, you could sell it and more than break even.

Then, you could place a new order which is only a few months out, and get all the good stuff.

Reactions: chrisdh79
Not as patient as you, and if I was, I'd be afraid my patience would be "Rewarded" by being offered a rejected, or off spec car.

However, if I were in your shoes, I'd accept the car and know that with 17k off, you could sell it and more than break even.

Then, you could place a new order which is only a few months out, and get all the good stuff.
Exactly why I still have the reservation. Tesla will not get that $17k one way or another. My own little way of keeping the world in balance for *sugar* service.

I rejected my model S scheduled for delivery Thursday and am going to wait for the re refresh with new headlights. Went down to the Tesla store today and saw the car meant for me - it’s beautiful. But I’d rather have the new lights. Hope it works out for me.

FWIW, driving around town today, saw several old cars like mine.

Now, I just can't unsee the new tail and headlights.

I think you are making the right choice.

FWIW, driving around town today, saw several old cars like mine.

Now, I just can't unsee the new tail and headlights.

I think you are making the right choice.
Glad to hear the encouragement. It’s less stylistic for me than functional. Seems the new headlights have wider output and will be more adaptive.

I don’t actually even appreciate the taillight difference cosmetically.

So the delivery for my new MSLR has been pushed by another 2 days (from Monday to Weds of this week) due to a transportation delay in moving the car from Chicago to KC. This is just giving me more time to stew over several things I've been agonizing about lately. I thought I'd vent here a bit while I'm waiting...

My two main "stewing" points are: 1) Should I reject this VIN and hope to get quickly reassigned a VIN for an updated MSLR with the new lights? and 2) Should I cancel the FSD I had ordered originally as a "place-holder" in case FSD actually got better while I was waiting.

I've followed this forum for months, and I know opinions vary somewhat on the updates being pushed out now. I'm in the camp that does prefer the old back end style with the bar running through the tail lights (to make the S unique from the 3 and Y). I'm fairly indifferent to the tail lights themselves, as I never actually see them when I drive and I only just noticed my wife's Model Y's tail lights that do light up very uniformly compared to the MS with the visible LEDs. I like the look (and the light output) of the new headlights, but I honestly never had a problem with the old lights in my 2020 MSLR (that I sold last June). I don't drive at night much. I'm torn by the elimination of the Radar in favor of pure "Tesla-Vision." It seems like I'd be better off having a car that has both systems in place, but if Tesla simply shuts off the radar portion of the system via software to support the move to Tesla Vision in the MS, perhaps it's a moot point? I've been waiting over 8 months, and I REALLY am ready to pick up my MS. If I had some assurance that my delay would only be 2-4 weeks if I opt to wait for a new VIN, I'd go for it, but I fear my VIN would be delayed for a couple of months.

Regarding FSD, I've gone back and forth over the past few months of waiting. My old MSLR had FSD (I paid $7k at the time), and I did use some of the features pretty much every day. I REALLY liked being able to change lanes via turn-signal with AP engaged. I had occasional success with Navigate on Autopilot on the interstate, though it was sometimes just annoying. I would Summon my car at times, but mostly just to impress people new to Tesla (it really blows people's mind seeing the car drive itself). I liked the fact that my car would stop at stop signs and stop lights automatically. So the question is, are those features enough to justify $10k? At this point, I've decided they are (to me). My logic is that these small added features take an insanely amazing car and put "the icing on the cake." They make the car just a bit cooler, more drivable, and more unique. I've always been an early adopter, and I do remember the excitement I felt with my 2020 MS whenever an update would hit that improved FSD. As for the current FSD Beta, I honestly don't think I'm going to bother opting in at this point. Driving my car carefully enough to obtain a score of 98-99 would negate the whole point of having such an amazing, fast car. I'll let others be the testers for this Beta version, and will happily (one day in the distant future) welcome the full FSD package, if it ever gets released to all owners of FSD.

Okay, vent complete. I welcome other opinions on these two issues as I anxiously await my car's arrival on Weds.
Sounds like we had almost identical cars (2020 MS LRs with FSD having paid $7k) and taking delivery of refresh LR MS’s. For my part while I liked auto lane change etc and had the FSD beta with the cost rising to $12k there are other things I’d spend that I’d spend that money on. On your new car order, my sense is that new production will start being delivered to the east coast as we get closer to the end of the quarter. If that’s correct (and that’s what’s happened in the past) new car deliveries to KC might slow before picking up again once we get past the end of the current quarter. For that reason I decided to go ahead with my delivery on Saturday abs in the end it was a perfect car with only the trunk panels missing and they will be delivered soon. I also tend to keep cars for a while and while the new headlights would have been nice they’re not essential to me. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Rikster and GrnSqrl