Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Tesla S LR in September, 2021 and I received notice in February that it was ready for pickup. However, I did not schedule delivery within the 7 day window, as required, so I was put back on the wait list for future delivery. However, the original price was protected and I now have a new VIN number for estimated delivery in July. Lesson learned: If you receive notice from Tesla you must act quickly or it will go to the next person on the list. But even though the price has gone up $12,000 (including FSD) since my original order, the original price is protected. So it all worked out. Additional note: I was offered a very fair trade-in price for my Tesla 3.
What did they offer?

RN1170, Ordered 04/23/22, Initial EDD 12/22 - 02/23

MS LR Black, White Interior, 21"s, No FSD

Just got off of an interesting call with Tesla Sales out of San Francisco. When I ordered MS LR Tesla website gave a range of July 22' - September 22'.

I checked the Tesla app immediately after and got an EDD of 12/22 - 02/23. Tesla Rep checked their internal tooling and said the factory was showing an actual EDD of September 22'. Looks like Tesla is significantly overestimating, or their customer facing tool is broken.
Update: EDD pushed to November - January

The EDD is like the stock market, up one day and down another. It is such a moving target that the EDD is quite meaningless. A lot of times a VIN would be assigned ahead of EDD and everyone forgot the pain and anxiety of waiting.

And like the market, if you buy and hold your order, the new order prices will continue to rise, and you will come out ahead in the end.

Last edited:
Kinda odd I know, but if they can make 2 or 3 of the 3/Y in the same time S may be higher margin yet not highest return when it comes to time. Maybe Tesla doesnt want Q2 to drop below Q1. Crazy to me. Still hard to get past the jerk from Tesla Nevada who threatened that our order would get cancelled back at end of February if we didnt lift the hold. We put the hold on a car we couldnt take delivery at end of February because we were travelling.

I was informed through the app, and SA confirmed, I have 5 days from my hold date to lift the hold, or they will cancel my order. You only get one hold now, as well.

Awesome! I guess since my EDD was pushed to September I get the refreshed refresh with the swivel screen, AI controlled matrix lights, new twilights, and 3rd generation super lightweight hinges. I’ll probably just miss the new new new refresh with the mind controlled turn signal.

I don't know who you've been talking to, but the car is not going to let you control the turn signal with your mind. It's going to guess which way you want to go, just like the gear selector...🤔😁

A real delivery question... apparently my car came off hold a few days early per the app.

When I swipe in the app between the car account I have, and the new car, a 15 digit or so number appears in the upper right, very briefly. It is not a VIN or order number, but the last 5 digits might be related to the serial in the VIN.

Any clues as to what this is?

So this is interesting. I chatted with a Tesla rep last week (or it may have been a little over) and she stated I should have my car in June. EDD was showing Jun 11th to July 23rd. It has been that way for months. When I initially ordered it said "June 2022". It fluctuated a bit here and there and went to as early as April for a couple of weeks.

Checked this morning and it went to "August 5th to September 16th".

Ugh. I wonder if this is the "good" delay where it will move back to a definitive delivery date after a couple of days.

Anyone have any insight?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
So this is interesting. I chatted with a Tesla rep last week (or it may have been a little over) and she stated I should have my car in June. EDD was showing Jun 11th to July 23rd. It has been that way for months. When I initially ordered it said "June 2022". It fluctuated a bit here and there and went to as early as April for a couple of weeks.

Checked this morning and it went to "August 5th to September 16th".

Ugh. I wonder if this is the "good" delay where it will move back to a definitive delivery date after a couple of days.

Anyone have any insight?
The Tesla reps have no clue. It is possible you could get it by EOQ. Being in Cali you get a little bit of extra luck at the EOQ but based on your order date I'd say you have a lower chance. More likely a Q3 or Q4 delivery sadly.

The Tesla reps have no clue. It is possible you could get it by EOQ. Being in Cali you get a little bit of extra luck at the EOQ but based on your order date I'd say you have a lower chance. More likely a Q3 or Q4 delivery sadly.

The reps, SA's, (Seldom Accurate) are treated like Mushrooms. Kept in the dark and fed BS.

Knowing how the food chain works, I tend not to listen to them.

If you get a VIN and your EDD narrows to a two week window, you might get your car within a month.

Or, you could get a call from a random store 3 hrs before the end of the quarter offering you some reject. Ask me how I know!

What really sucks is that interest rates have gone up for financing and used car values have also dropped - inflation at work!
And TSLA share price is headed for the toilet. At least my realized gains from sales are intact, enough to pay for the new car, should I get one.

Seems like the best Tesla to own right now is the one you already have.

Reactions: fetar30310