Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a delivery scheduled for tomorrow 🙂

Here's a summary of my order and updates:
  • MSLR MSM/White/21", RN117 (OD: May 22, 2022)
  • May 22: EDD Nov 19-Feb 11
  • June 23: EDD Nov 16-Jan 25
  • July 9: EDD Jul 14-Jul 24, +MVPA (w/ VIN)
  • July 15: EDD Jul 18-Jul 24
  • July 16: select DD/time > July 22, +VIN > NF485 (in app)
When the EDD made the big jump from end of the year to July, I called my SA, and she said that Tesla was aware of the upcoming federal luxury tax (Sep 1) in Canada and were making an effort to push up some Canadian deliveries. Not sure if that's entirely true or not, but I certainly appreciate being able to avoid that tax!

Anyhoo, hoping that the appointment will hold and the delivery goes smoothly tomorrow 😬

When the EDD made the big jump from end of the year to July, I called my SA, and she said that Tesla was aware of the upcoming federal luxury tax (Sep 1) in Canada and were making an effort to push up some Canadian deliveries. Not sure if that's entirely true or not, but I certainly appreciate being able to avoid that tax!

Anyhoo, hoping that the appointment will hold and the delivery goes smoothly tomorrow 😬
Congrats, but I wouldn't believe they moved you up because of the impending tax. I asked for my delivery date to be moved 1 (one) week to get the Illinois rebate and not only did they blatantly say No they put my order on Hold. Very helpful.

Reactions: JakesterMcZap
Congrats, but I wouldn't believe they moved you up because of the impending tax. I asked for my delivery date to be moved 1 (one) week to get the Illinois rebate and not only did they blatantly say No they put my order on Hold. Very helpful.
Tesla as a company does not care about customer satisfaction although individual staffs have variable helpfulness and professionalism. That has been my experience for being a customer since 2014.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Thanks! Yes, I’m skeptical of that claim, too. Unless other customers in Canada are seeing accelerated delivery dates as well, it’s just a nice narrative from the SA.

Tesla as a company does not care about customer satisfaction although individual staffs have variable helpfulness and professionalism. That has been my experience for being a customer since 2014.
Yes, that seems to be the case in my short experience (so far) with Tesla.

Example: Due to a late decision to trade in my current car, I wanted to add my wife‘s name to the new car. Texted Tesla about this, and they called back yesterday and said absolutely no changes could be made to the order within 72hrs of delivery. Long story short, I spoke with the local delivery centre and they said no problem, just send us the info 🙄

Reactions: Pcm888usa

Just wondering how your delivery went?

I went to the delivery centre yesterday to have a look at my Model S (same specs as you), but ultimately rejected it again due to the huge trunk misalignment. This is the second time I rejected the vehicle, so the delivery team member was pushing me hard to accept this vehicle, indicating Tesla might cancel my order as I've rejected the vehicle twice and suggesting I'll have to pay the higher/new price of the vehicle if that's the case. He also gave me the whole speil about how everything is within Tesla's spec. He literally asked "are you ready to own a Tesla? because you've already rejected it twice." I told him I have a 150K+ bank draft on me, I'm definitely ready. What I wish I said, "you're asking me if I'm ready to accept all the flaws from Tesla? Minor ones I can live with but not the big one."

One of the guy's didn't look pleased at all when I decided to reject the delivery. I think I'll either have to learn to accept that it'll come with the misaligned trunk with a quarter panel slightly sticking out, or just seek another vehicle from another manufacturer.

I went to the delivery centre yesterday to have a look at my Model S (same specs as you), but ultimately rejected it again due to the huge trunk misalignment. This is the second time I rejected the vehicle, so the delivery team member was pushing me hard to accept this vehicle, indicating Tesla might cancel my order as I've rejected the vehicle twice and suggesting I'll have to pay the higher/new price of the vehicle if that's the case. He also gave me the whole speil about how everything is within Tesla's spec. He literally asked "are you ready to own a Tesla? because you've already rejected it twice." I told him I have a 150K+ bank draft on me, I'm definitely ready. What I wish I said, "you're asking me if I'm ready to accept all the flaws from Tesla? Minor ones I can live with but not the big one."

One of the guy's didn't look pleased at all when I decided to reject the delivery. I think I'll either have to learn to accept that it'll come with the misaligned trunk with a quarter panel slightly sticking out, or just seek another vehicle from another manufacturer.
When you are spending $150K for a new car, it better be perfect when you pick it up. There shouldn't be any imperfections. Unfortunately many Tesla fans are very forgiving. That encouraged Tesla to continue to put out imperfect cars. I must say if you are looking for a perfectly made car, you won't find it with Tesla.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I must say if you are looking for a perfectly made car, you won't find it with Tesla.
Cars are made by humans and will never be perfect. Comparatively, my last two teslas have been significantly better than the previous Land Rovers, Porsches and Mercedes’ in every way. For me, Tesla has been closer to “perfect” than every other car I’ve owned…. But that’s just me..

Sucks! Any pictures? I feel lucky that we had no major issues that were not easily fixed. At least with a Plaid they are pretty easy to come by, although I see you're in Canada so maybe not.

Overall, the delivery went well and I picked up the car in the late afternoon yesterday!

Sorry to hear about your delivery experiences so far. I hope that the third time for you will be a charm :)

This reply turned out to be longer than anticipated, so I’m breaking it up into 2 parts …

PART 1: the car

As for inspecting my car yesterday, there are a couple of issues that I may go back to Tesla with, but overall I think that the car looks great! My issues are mainly with a couple of rubber gaskets that are a bit off.

Regarding gaps and panel (mis)alignment, I’d say that those aren’t problems with my car. Not to say that the build is ‘perfect’ — I’ve owned German and Japanese vehicles that definitely had tighter tolerances (smaller & more consistent gaps) — but generally I’d say that the gaps and alignment on my MS are quite good. Given all of the posts that one can read on this forum and elsewhere, I was prepared for the worst, but was pleasantly surprised (relieved?) with what I received.

I’ll add that I benefitted from having a few other new Model S’ at the delivery centre for comparison. Another MSLR was parked right beside mine (same exterior colour & wheels, but w/ black interior), so I was able to easily go back and forth to compare fit and finish. I would say that, for most part, any gaps and alignment issues I spotted were consistent between the 2 cars. I took that as a sign that those issues weren’t specific to my car. Not that this excuses bad design or consistently bad manufacturing processes, so let me reiterate that I didn’t think that the gaps on the car were bad per se. Just that if I were to scrutinize (pretty much anything), I will always find something to criticize.

As for the interior, there’s not much to complain about -- the interior build quality met my expectations; it’s a really nice cabin and I love that white interior! There weren’t any missing/misaligned/poorly installed trim, wrinkled seat materials, etc. Again, if I were scrutinize, I’d say that the wood trim where the dash meets the door could be better aligned between driver and passenger sides — but we’re talking about maybe just a millimetre difference. The only real issues that I had with the interior are more to do with the PDI than with build quality, so maybe this would be a good point to segue over to the delivery experience itself.

Overall, the delivery went well and I picked up the car in the late afternoon yesterday!

Sorry to hear about your delivery experiences so far. I hope that the third time for you will be a charm :)

This reply turned out to be longer than anticipated, so I’m breaking it up into 2 parts …

PART 1: the car

As for inspecting my car yesterday, there are a couple of issues that I may go back to Tesla with, but overall I think that the car looks great! My issues are mainly with a couple of rubber gaskets that are a bit off.

Regarding gaps and panel (mis)alignment, I’d say that those aren’t problems with my car. Not to say that the build is ‘perfect’ — I’ve owned German and Japanese vehicles that definitely had tighter tolerances (smaller & more consistent gaps) — but generally I’d say that the gaps and alignment on my MS are quite good. Given all of the posts that one can read on this forum and elsewhere, I was prepared for the worst, but was pleasantly surprised (relieved?) with what I received.

I’ll add that I benefitted from having a few other new Model S’ at the delivery centre for comparison. Another MSLR was parked right beside mine (same exterior colour & wheels, but w/ black interior), so I was able to easily go back and forth to compare fit and finish. I would say that, for most part, any gaps and alignment issues I spotted were consistent between the 2 cars. I took that as a sign that those issues weren’t specific to my car. Not that this excuses bad design or consistently bad manufacturing processes, so let me reiterate that I didn’t think that the gaps on the car were bad per se. Just that if I were to scrutinize (pretty much anything), I will always find something to criticize.

As for the interior, there’s not much to complain about -- the interior build quality met my expectations; it’s a really nice cabin and I love that white interior! There weren’t any missing/misaligned/poorly installed trim, wrinkled seat materials, etc. Again, if I were scrutinize, I’d say that the wood trim where the dash meets the door could be better aligned between driver and passenger sides — but we’re talking about maybe just a millimetre difference. The only real issues that I had with the interior are more to do with the PDI than with build quality, so maybe this would be a good point to segue over to the delivery experience itself.

PART 2: the delivery process

I took delivery of my MSLR at the Richmond, BC location. The delivery experience was ok, with some really good parts mixed in with some weird and aggravating parts.

To start, much of the delivery experience was DIY. I was pretty much just handed the MVPA and some other forms, and told to review and sign them. We (my wife and I) were lead to a small sales office and were left alone to do that. This is my first Tesla, so I don’t know if this experience was unique to me or the delivery centre, but compared to all my other experiences with buying other new cars, it was pretty different/weird.

I had a question about one of the clauses in the contract, and that lead to a frustrating conversation with the Tesla person that gave us the contract. Between not listening to the question initially, and then not being able to comprehend/answer the question, let’s just say: dense as a rock. So, that was pretty aggravating.

The good/bright light in all of this was the guy (Stephen) who helped to prep my car. Turns out that he was the fellow who helped add my wife as a co-buyer the day before. He seemed to do it all at the delivery centre — from reviewing the issues we noted, to handling our trade-in vehicle, to finding accessories we wanted to buy. Most importantly, he was just generally knowledgeable about Teslas and the delivery process, and listened to and could answer our questions; unlike the aforementioned rock.

Finally, a few more thoughts about the delivery …
  • The car came with carpeted mats, the rear cargo shelf, a J1772 adapter and a mobile connector. The last item was unexpected, as I thought they’d stopped including them. However, no key fobs 😢
  • I’d mentioned some PDI issues. These were quite minor. Just a bit of grease in the centre console tray, a small mark (wipeable) on the rear seats. Perfect? No, but quite acceptable.
  • The whole experience took about 2.5-3 hours. Insurance was handled by an agent that I brought in, so that probably added some time.
  • For Vancouverites considering delivery at this Richmond, BC location, you may want to avoid taking delivery around 3 PM. A very small school is strangely located right next door, so when school is out, parents drive right into the Tesla parking to pick up their kids.
Anyways, that‘s all for now. Time for me to get out there and go for a drive! 😀

Sucks! Any pictures? I feel lucky that we had no major issues that were not easily fixed. At least with a Plaid they are pretty easy to come by, although I see you're in Canada so maybe not.
No pictures yet. Just about to head out for a drive to Whistler for the afternoon/evening. Will take some there 😀

Yeah, Plaids are also much easier to come by (much shorter wait) here in Canada. A much longer wait for the MSLR … like everybody else. I’ll just consider myself lucky that my order got picked early in the Tesla delivery lottery 😆

PART 2: the delivery process

I took delivery of my MSLR at the Richmond, BC location. The delivery experience was ok, with some really good parts mixed in with some weird and aggravating parts.

To start, much of the delivery experience was DIY. I was pretty much just handed the MVPA and some other forms, and told to review and sign them. We (my wife and I) were lead to a small sales office and were left alone to do that. This is my first Tesla, so I don’t know if this experience was unique to me or the delivery centre, but compared to all my other experiences with buying other new cars, it was pretty different/weird.

I had a question about one of the clauses in the contract, and that lead to a frustrating conversation with the Tesla person that gave us the contract. Between not listening to the question initially, and then not being able to comprehend/answer the question, let’s just say: dense as a rock. So, that was pretty aggravating.

The good/bright light in all of this was the guy (Stephen) who helped to prep my car. Turns out that he was the fellow who helped add my wife as a co-buyer the day before. He seemed to do it all at the delivery centre — from reviewing the issues we noted, to handling our trade-in vehicle, to finding accessories we wanted to buy. Most importantly, he was just generally knowledgeable about Teslas and the delivery process, and listened to and could answer our questions; unlike the aforementioned rock.

Finally, a few more thoughts about the delivery …
  • The car came with carpeted mats, the rear cargo shelf, a J1772 adapter and a mobile connector. The last item was unexpected, as I thought they’d stopped including them. However, no key fobs 😢
  • I’d mentioned some PDI issues. These were quite minor. Just a bit of grease in the centre console tray, a small mark (wipeable) on the rear seats. Perfect? No, but quite acceptable.
  • The whole experience took about 2.5-3 hours. Insurance was handled by an agent that I brought in, so that probably added some time.
  • For Vancouverites considering delivery at this Richmond, BC location, you may want to avoid taking delivery around 3 PM. A very small school is strangely located right next door, so when school is out, parents drive right into the Tesla parking to pick up their kids.
Anyways, that‘s all for now. Time for me to get out there and go for a drive! 😀
Congrats.

I didn't take any photos this time around as I knew I wasn't going to accept the delivery. To my surprise, they matched me to another vehicle next week, so I'm crossing my fingers that I'll receive a better build. I'm expecting the trunk's quarter panel to stick out a bit since that's been the case for most of the MSLR I've seen on the lot. Hopefully it's something that won't bother me as much with he next vehicle.

VIN Assigned!! 486. EDD narrowed to 5 days 8/7-8/11

No text or email yet, but visible in the app. Of course, I'm supposed to be 600 miles away at the beach with the extended family that week. How long can you generally push the back end of the EDD? Will a couple of days usually be ok?

MSLR Blue/Cream 19 FSD RN 1162 NY Delivery Ordered 12/19/21
July, 4/19-5/17, 5/30-7/11, 7/13-8/24, 7/28-9/1, 8/5-8/26, 8/7-8/11

No text or email yet, but visible in the app. Of course, I'm supposed to be 600 miles away at the beach with the extended family that week. How long can you generally push the back end of the EDD? Will a couple of days usually be ok?

I asked for a week and was told No. They then put my order on hold.
One thing they told me later was that if I confirmed one of the appointments via the app (even though I couldn't make the date) there was a better chance they would work with me to reschedule.

They usually give you a 3 day window. If you can't make that window then the car goes to someone else. You can always try and contact the delivery center and see if they'll give you a day or 2 if needed.

So my delivery was supposed to be this Thursday and SC just called saying there's scratches on the bottom of the bumper (i'm thinking they caused it when they took it off the transport trunk....)... anyway so they said they have to now repaint/replace the bumper and delivery will need to be rescheduled to some time next week.....

is this going to go on the record that the car was repaired...? I read somewhere something similar happened to someone else here and Tesla guaranteed it wouldn't be on record but when they went to sell the car it was indeed on record as been repaired.

So my delivery was supposed to be this Thursday and SC just called saying there's scratches on the bottom of the bumper (i'm thinking they caused it when they took it off the transport trunk....)... anyway so they said they have to now repaint/replace the bumper and delivery will need to be rescheduled to some time next week.....

is this going to go on the record that the car was repaired...? I read somewhere something similar happened to someone else here and Tesla guaranteed it wouldn't be on record but when they went to sell the car it was indeed on record as been repaired.
I think that it depends on the shop that does it, whether they are tied into CarFax as well as whether they will enter it into CarFax as being repaired. If it is just cosmetic scratches, I am thinking that it will not qualify as needing to be entered unless they have to replace the bumper?